Challenge Corner discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Challenge Archives > Legends of the Hidden Temple Challenge - Sign Ups!

Comments Showing 1-50 of 205 (205 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5

message 1: by Alaina, Head of Monthly Challenges & Keeper of BR Threads (new)

Alaina (ameserole) | 58980 comments Mod

🗿 Legends of the Hidden Temple Challenge: 🗿
Welcome to our first ever Legends of the Hidden Temple Challenge! Now if you are an 80’s or 90’s kid you might be getting some nostalgic feelings right now. At least for me, I loved watching this show when I was younger. So it’s safe to say that I’m beyond excited to turn this into a challenge.

Now if you aren’t familiar with this show and have no idea what I’m talking about, please see all the wonderful information below:

In each game, six teams of two members competed in three rounds to get into the temple. Those six teams were: 🐆 Red Jaguars, 🐟 Blue Barracudas, 🐒 Green Monkeys, 🦎 Orange Iguanas, 🦜 Purple Parrots, and 🐍 Silver Snakes.

🗿 Round 1: The Moat 🗿
In the first round of the show, the six teams attempted to cross a narrow swimming pool known as "the moat" in a prescribed manner. All six teams attempted to get both members across according to the rules and push a button on a pedestal to ring a gong. The first four teams to cross the moat and ring their gongs advanced to the second round.

🗿 Round 2: The Steps of Knowledge 🗿
The four remaining teams stood on the topmost of the four levels of the Steps of Knowledge. Olmec began the round by telling the remaining teams the episode's legend of the featured artifact, which became the theme for the remainder of the episode. The legend centered on an artifact which the winning team searched for in the final round. At the end of the legend, Olmec told the teams the room in which the artifact could be found. After finishing, he asked the teams a series of questions to test their memory. Each multiple-choice question had three possible answers. A team attempting to answer signaled by stomping on a button on their step, causing the front of the step to illuminate (if Olmec was still in the middle of asking a question, he stopped talking immediately). A team who answered correctly moved down to the next level. If a team answered incorrectly or ran out of time (three seconds after being called upon), the other teams were given a chance to answer. The first two teams to answer three questions correctly and thereby reach the bottom level advanced to the next round.

🗿 Round 3: The Temple Games 🗿
The temple games featured the two remaining teams competing in three physical challenges to earn Pendants of Life which the winning team used in the final round. After each challenge, the winning team received some portion of a protective Pendant of Life. The first two challenges, pitting single members from each team against one another, were worth one half of a pendant, while the final challenge, involving both contestants on both teams, was worth a full pendant. If a temple game ended in a tie, both teams received the pendant value of that game.

The team that earned the most number of pendants by the end of three temple games won the right to enter the temple. In the event that the two teams earned the same number of pendants after the three temple games, the teams played a tiebreaker to determine who advanced to the temple. The teams stood behind a tiebreaker pedestal, and Olmec asks a tiebreaker question to determine the winner. The first team to hit the button on top of their gong was given the chance to answer the question. A correct answer allowed the team to go to the temple.

🗿 Final Round: The Temple Run 🗿
In the final round, the winning team took the Pendants of Life the contestants earned into the temple, and attempted to retrieve the episode's artifact and bring it back out of the temple within a three-minute time limit. The team designated one member to enter the temple first; that team member carried one of the team's full pendants. The other team member held the remaining pendant, half pendant, or no pendant at all and stood by to enter if the first team member was taken out of the temple by a temple guard. Before starting, Olmec would explain the rooms in the temple and the necessary tasks in each room.

The temple consisted of twelve rooms, each with a specific theme (e.g., the Throne Room, the King's Storeroom, the Observatory, the Shrine of the Silver Monkey, the Heart Room, etc.). The rooms connected to adjacent rooms by doorways, although some doors were locked, blocking a contestant's progress into the adjacent room; the pattern of locked and unlocked doors changed from episode to episode depending both on the temple layout and the artifact's location. The unlocked doors were closed at the start of the round, but they could be opened by completing a specific task or puzzle within each room. One room in the temple contained the themed artifact (as stated by Olmec prior to the Steps of Knowledge round). Three other designated rooms held temple guards. If the winning team had exactly ​1 1⁄2 pendants, the remaining half pendant was also placed in a room for the contestant with the half pendant to collect to make a full pendant. The extra half pendant, if needed, would either be hanging on the wall near a door or placed inside an object in a room (e.g., hidden inside a pot in the King's Storeroom). If the first player dropped their pendant, the second player was allowed to pick it up and either throw it back to their partner or use it if needed.

A contestant who encountered a temple guard was forced to give up a full pendant in order to continue. However, if the first contestant was caught without a pendant in his or her possession, he or she was taken out of the temple and the second contestant entered. In either case, the temple guard who captures the contestant was out of play, and did not appear again in that room where the first contestant was captured. When the second contestant entered, any doors that the first contestant opened remained open. If the second contestant was caught without a full pendant, the run ended immediately.

message 2: by Alaina, Head of Monthly Challenges & Keeper of BR Threads (new)

🗿 How to play: 🗿
Unlike the TV show, each participant will be split evenly into the 6 teams (mentioned up above): 🐆 Red Jaguars, 🐟 Blue Barracudas, 🐒 Green Monkeys, 🦎 Orange Iguanas, 🦜 Purple Parrots, and 🐍 Silver Snakes. This challenge will also have at least 3 games within it. Each game will have 4 rounds - 1 Moat, 1 Steps of Knowledge, 1 Temple Games, and 1 Temple Run.

The rounds for each game will follow the same pattern but with a different story and artifact to capture. For example:
🗿 The Moat: Will have water themed tasks/challenges.
🗿 Steps of Knowledge: Will have trivia questions that have 3 possible answers - each team will have their own trivia question and can read for any answer. The right answer will be revealed at the end of the round.
🗿 Temple Games: Will be a team focused challenge and you will have to spell out a word as many times as you can.
🗿 Temple Run: Will have tasks/challenges that fit the 12-13 rooms throughout the temple. Each temple run will have 3 guards, so if someone on the team reads for a room with a guard the team will lose half a pendant.

For rounds 1-3 in each game, the winning team of each round will receive a full pendant. Whereas the remaining teams will receive half a pendant.

During these rounds, each team will post as many books as they can that fit the tasks/categories. All rounds, but the last one for game 3, will last for 5 days. The final round, in the final game, will last for 6 days.

Please see the schedule below:

Game 1:
Round 1 - Starts November 1st, Ends November 5th.
Round 2 - Starts November 6th, Ends November 10th.
Round 3 - Starts November 11th, Ends November 15th.
Round 4 - Starts November 16th, Ends November 20th.

Game 2:
Round 1 - Starts November 21st, Ends November 25th.
Round 2 - Starts November 26th, Ends November 30th.
Round 3 - Starts December 1st, Ends December 5th.
Round 4 - Starts December 6th, Ends December 10th.

Game 3:
Round 1 - Starts December 11th, Ends December 15th.
Round 2 - Starts December 16th, Ends December 20th.
Round 3 - Starts December 21st, Ends December 25th.
Round 4 - Starts December 26th, Ends December 31st.

🗿 Bonus Points Galore: 🗿
At the end of each round, the winning team will get 5 bonus points. At the end of each game, the winning team will get 10 bonus points. If the same team wins all four rounds within the same game, they will get 15 bonus points. Also, if the same team wins all three games, then they will get 20 bonus points. So just to clarify:

5 bonus points = winning a round
10 bonus points = winning a game
15 bonus points = winning all four rounds within the same game
20 bonus points = winning all three games.

message 3: by Alaina, Head of Monthly Challenges & Keeper of BR Threads (last edited Dec 01, 2020 06:14AM) (new)

This challenge will only take place during the months of November and December. That means, books will be accepted from November 1st to December 31st. Winners will be announced on January 1st.

If you start a book before November, you will only be able to count the pages that you read in November for this challenge. If the page amount is over 100 pages, you can still count it towards a category.

When signing up, please mention the number of books you plan on reading weekly for November and December. Don’t forget about all those holidays either! These numbers will be easier for me to make teams match up a bit more evenly.

For example,
Alaina - 12+ bpw
Felicia - 2 bpw
Andy - 3 bpw
Aly - 12+ bpw
Jennifer - 1 bpw for Nov, 2 bpw for Dec

*bpw = books per week
**You will not be penalized if you go over or under your number.**

The general challenge rules can be found here.

🗿 Page Points 🗿
1 - 99 pages → 0.5 pts (and it will only count for page points - not categories)
100 - 149 pages → 1 pt
150 - 249 pages → 2 pts
250 - 349 pages → 3 pts
350 - 449 pages → 4 pts
450 - 549 pages → 5 pts
550+ pages → 6 pts

Buddy Reads will DOUBLE your points.
BOTM will TRIPLE your points.

If you have any questions about this challenge, please click the link here: Q & A

🗿 Game Information: 🗿
Game 1: Poppy Flowers
Game 2: Patiala Necklace
Game 3: Peking Man

Bonus Points - Wheel Decide!

message 4: by Alaina, Head of Monthly Challenges & Keeper of BR Threads (last edited Oct 24, 2020 08:17AM) (new)

Participants:
Kim - 1-2 bpw
Aly - ? bpw
Cindy - 1-2 bpw
Anna 'Bookbuyer' - 1 bpw
Trisha - 1-2 bpw
Donna - 5-7 bpw
Alaina - 12-15 bpw
Tayane - 2-3 bpm
BookWorm - 1-2 bpw
Kelly - 3-4 bpw
Cindee - 7 bpw
Shan ~A~ - 2 bpw
lemon-chan - 1 bpw
❀ Crystal ✿ - 6+ bpw
Linda C - 4-5 bpw
Devika - 1 bpw
Celia - 1-3 bpw
Aarja - 1 bpw
Andy - 3-5 bpw
Yana - 2-3 bpw
Emeli - 1-2 bpw
Johanne - 1 bpw
☘Misericordia☘ ~ The Serendipity Aegis ~ - ? bpw
RACHEL - 1 bpw
Jennifer - 2 bpw
Agne - 1 bpw
craftykatreads - 1-2 bpw
⚚♆ Cynthia ♆⚚ - 2-3 bpw
Jammin Jenny - 8 bpw
Vicki - 5-7 bpw
Sierra - 1-2 bpw
Melanie - 3 bpw
D.G. - 2-3 bpw

message 5: by Kim (new)

Kim | 1657 comments I am so in! So excited for the theme that I didn’t even read what’s going to happen *fingers crossed blue barracudas *

message 6: by Alaina, Head of Monthly Challenges & Keeper of BR Threads (last edited Oct 13, 2020 03:16PM) (new)

Kim wrote: "I am so in! So excited for the theme that I didn’t even read what’s going to happen *fingers crossed blue barracudas *"

LOL it was a lot of fun to make this. There's so much detail right now.. just wait until the games start!

Oh, and added ☺️

message 7: by Aly, Head of Solo Quarterly & Maker of BR Threads (last edited Oct 13, 2020 03:16PM) (new)

Aly (alyp_01) | 22538 comments Mod
Wow this is amazing!! I'm in

message 8: by Alaina, Head of Monthly Challenges & Keeper of BR Threads (new)

Aly wrote: "Wow this is amazing!! I'm in"

Thanks girl! Added ☺️

message 9: by Cindy (new)

Cindy | 257 comments I’m in 1-2 bpw

message 10: by Alaina, Head of Monthly Challenges & Keeper of BR Threads (new)

Cindy wrote: "I’m in 1-2 bpw"

Woohoo! Added ☺️

message 11: by Anna 'Bookbuyer' (new)

Anna 'Bookbuyer' (bookbuyer) | 9906 comments I'm in 1-3 bpm

message 12: by Trisha (new)

Trisha | 3203 comments I'm in 1-2 books pw for me!

message 13: by Alaina, Head of Monthly Challenges & Keeper of BR Threads (new)

Anna 'Bookbuyer' wrote: "I'm in 1-3 bpm"

Added ☺️

message 14: by Alaina, Head of Monthly Challenges & Keeper of BR Threads (new)

Trisha wrote: "I'm in 1-2 books pw for me!"

Added ☺️

message 15: by Donna (new)

Donna (dkflynn33) | 922 comments count me in! 5-7 books per week

message 16: by Alaina, Head of Monthly Challenges & Keeper of BR Threads (new)

Donna wrote: "count me in! 5-7 books per week"

Added ☺️

message 17: by Tayane (new)

Tayane Cristie (taycristie) | 570 comments I've never heard of this show, but the challenge sounds like a lot of fun! I'll go for 2-3 bpw, as I'm never sure how my reading pace is gonna be.

message 18: by BookWorm (new)

BookWorm | 1298 comments I'm in! 1-2 bpw.

message 19: by Alaina, Head of Monthly Challenges & Keeper of BR Threads (new)

Tayane wrote: "I've never heard of this show, but the challenge sounds like a lot of fun! I'll go for 2-3 bpw, as I'm never sure how my reading pace is gonna be."

I wish it still aired re-runs of the show but it doesn't. I did hear that the show was coming back though. I'm just not sure when..

Also added ☺️

message 20: by Alaina, Head of Monthly Challenges & Keeper of BR Threads (new)

BookWorm wrote: "I'm in! 1-2 bpw."

Added ☺️

message 21: by Kelly (new)

Kelly | 3824 comments I'm in! I'm just not sure how much time I'll have to read so I'll say 3-4 bpw even though it could change.

message 22: by Alaina, Head of Monthly Challenges & Keeper of BR Threads (new)

Kelly wrote: "I'm in! I'm just not sure how much time I'll have to read so I'll say 3-4 bpw even though it could change."

Ahh, I see that you are finally taking me seriously about fake reading lol. Added ☺️

message 23: by Cindee (new)

Cindee | 1931 comments I'm in 7 books a week

message 24: by Alaina, Head of Monthly Challenges & Keeper of BR Threads (new)

Cindee wrote: "I'm in 7 books a week"

Added ☺️

message 25: by Shan ~A~ (last edited Oct 13, 2020 05:33PM) (new)

Shan ~A~ (thebookglutton) My bpw varies. Sometimes I read 1 sometimes I may read 5. So I am going to go with

Shan ~A~ - 2 bpw

message 26: by amia (new)

amia (makevocaloidgreatagain) i’m in for 1 bpw

❀ Crystal ✿ -  PEACE ☮ LOVE ♥ BOOKS  (crystaldc18) | 3822 comments In for 6+ bpw

message 28: by Linda C (new)

Linda C (libladynylindac) | 275 comments I'm in - 4-5 bpw

message 29: by ◐Devika (new)

◐Devika (lildev) I'm in for 1bpw

message 30: by Celia (new)

Celia Buell (celiareadsbooks) | 2764 comments I'll sign up. 1-3 bpw

message 31: by Aarja (new)

Aarja (groovythinker) | 337 comments I just LOVE these challenges. I am not sure, but maybe 4bpm. I am so excited! Also, in game 2, what is meant by 'Patiala'? Is it the state from Punjab India? Just curious, lol.

message 32: by Andy, Head of Read-a-thons (new)

Andy | 9124 comments Mod
I'm in probably 3-5 bpw?

message 33: by Yana (new)

Yana Khalid | 146 comments I’m in for 2-3 bpw.

message 34: by Emeli (new)

Emeli Webb | 111 comments Im in 1-2 bpw

message 35: by Emejota (new)

Emejota (emeffinjay) | 60 comments I'm in for 1 bpw :)

message 36: by ☘Misericordia☘ (last edited Oct 14, 2020 04:18AM) (new)

☘Misericordia☘ ⚡ϟ⚡⛈⚡☁ ❇️❤❣ (misericordia) | 602 comments Please count me in for a mystery number :)

message 37: by Alaina, Head of Monthly Challenges & Keeper of BR Threads (new)

Shan ~A~ wrote: "My bpw varies. Sometimes I read 1 sometimes I may read 5. So I am going to go with

Shan ~A~ - 2 bpw"

It's all good! Just need a number, it's okay if you go over or under it per week. Added ☺️

message 38: by Alaina, Head of Monthly Challenges & Keeper of BR Threads (new)

lemon-chan wrote: "i’m in for 1 bpw"

Added ☺️

message 39: by Alaina, Head of Monthly Challenges & Keeper of BR Threads (new)

❀ Crystal ✿ - wrote: "In for 6+ bpw"

Added ☺️

message 40: by Alaina, Head of Monthly Challenges & Keeper of BR Threads (new)

Linda C wrote: "I'm in - 4-5 bpw"

Added ☺️

message 41: by Alaina, Head of Monthly Challenges & Keeper of BR Threads (new)

Devika wrote: "I'm in for 1bpw"

Added ☺️

message 42: by Alaina, Head of Monthly Challenges & Keeper of BR Threads (new)

Celia wrote: "I'll sign up. 1-3 bpw"

Added ☺️

message 43: by Alaina, Head of Monthly Challenges & Keeper of BR Threads (new)

Aarja wrote: "I just LOVE these challenges. I am not sure, but maybe 4bpm. I am so excited! Also, in game 2, what is meant by 'Patiala'? Is it the state from Punjab India? Just curious, lol."

Haha thanks! It was a lot of fun to make, so I hope it all goes well and everyone enjoys it! Figured we needed to go out of 2020 with a bang - so why not this challenge?

As for the necklace, yes that is the Patiala I'm speaking of. I think when the necklace was made Patiala was called 'Patiala State'. It was pretty interesting to learn about some artifacts/treasures that are still missing today.

Also, added ☺️

message 44: by Alaina, Head of Monthly Challenges & Keeper of BR Threads (new)

Andy wrote: "I'm in probably 3-5 bpw?"

Added ☺️

message 45: by Alaina, Head of Monthly Challenges & Keeper of BR Threads (new)

Yana wrote: "I’m in for 2-3 bpw."

Added ☺️

message 46: by Alaina, Head of Monthly Challenges & Keeper of BR Threads (new)

Emeli wrote: "Im in 1-2 bpw"

Added ☺️

message 47: by Alaina, Head of Monthly Challenges & Keeper of BR Threads (new)

Johanne wrote: "I'm in for 1 bpw :)"

Added ☺️

message 48: by Alaina, Head of Monthly Challenges & Keeper of BR Threads (new)

☘Misericordia☘ ~ The Serendipity Aegis ~ wrote: "Please count me in for a mystery number :)"

I love the mystery number! Added ☺️

message 49: by Kelly (new)

Kelly | 3824 comments Alaina wrote: "Kelly wrote: "I'm in! I'm just not sure how much time I'll have to read so I'll say 3-4 bpw even though it could change."

Ahh, I see that you are finally taking me seriously about fake reading lol..."

It wasn't my intention but yes ^^

message 50: by Alaina, Head of Monthly Challenges & Keeper of BR Threads (new)

Kelly wrote: "Alaina wrote: "Kelly wrote: "I'm in! I'm just not sure how much time I'll have to read so I'll say 3-4 bpw even though it could change."

Ahh, I see that you are finally taking me seriously about f..."

Lol yay!

« previous 1 3 4 5
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.