Play Book Tag discussion

Out of the Easy
This topic is about Out of the Easy
October 2020: Other Books > [Poll Ballot] Out of the Easy by Ruta Sepetys - 2 stars

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Joy D | 4023 comments Out of the Easy by Ruta Sepetys - 2 stars - My Review

Set in New Orleans in the 1950s, eighteen-year-old Josie is the daughter of a prostitute. She lives above a bookstore and works with the owners. She wants no part of her mother’s life. Her dream is to go to college and get away from the Quarter.

This book was just okay for me. It is slow in developing and toward the end, it turns into almost a completely different story. It starts out character-driven then turns into a quasi-thriller. This switcheroo does not typically work for me and it did not work here.

I am not in the target market for this book. I think young adults may like Out of the Easy more than I did. I had previously read and very much enjoyed Ruta Sepetys’s Salt to the Sea, which I highly recommend.

message 2: by Joi (new) - rated it 4 stars

Joi (missjoious) | 3824 comments Oh no, I remember really liking this one (with the exception being the romance part).

Joy D | 4023 comments It wasn't bad. I just dislike books that do the "twists and turns" thing at the end. I know many people enjoy them.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Out of the Easy (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Ruta Sepetys (other topics)