Clean Reads discussion

holiday > Halloween is my Favorite holiday,please suggest your FAV Halloween reads.

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by C. (last edited Oct 14, 2020 07:34AM) (new)

C. | 297 comments Hi all, it's time for me to discover new Halloween reads, for my favorite season. Any genre, even YA, as long as the book is clean and no Zombies(eww), and preferably at least close to min. of 250 pages long.
Happy Haunting! :D

message 2: by C. (new)

C. | 297 comments Surely many readers have favorite Halloween reads????

message 3: by Jess (new)

Jess Myname | 46 comments Sorry can’t say that I have read a Halloween themed book since elementary school. I love dressing up for Halloween in fact I am trying for year 3 of placing in my company’s costume contest..... but I don’t like spooky creepy thing as a general rule. I did enjoy the book “the girls of hysteria hall” it’s about an old asylum might fit the bill???

Smasher (BookMadWoman)  | 4 comments I have a few I like, but they have some content warnings.

The Screaming Staircase by Jonathan Stroud is the first in a series. it's about a detective agency that hunts ghosts and they are all kids. It's a middle grade horror novel, so it does have violence and mid-level scary murder stories. For me personally it was right in the area I like, not too much, but not skirting anything either. if you are really sensitive though you might not like it.

Another that I really enjoyed is Skulduggery Plesant. It is also a series, but the first 2 books stand alone really well and you don't have to continue reading them. In fact, after book 2 they get darker and more solid in the horror genre. They do swear a fair bit too if that bothers you. It's about a girl who finds out that there is magic in the world after she gets saved by a walking talking fire-slinging skeleton, who happens to be a detective named Skulduggery Pleasant, trying to solve a case involving her recently deceased uncle. It's loads of fun and the humor balances the action perfectly.

If you're looking for somethimg lighter you can read anything by Mary Downing Hahn. she write children's stories and they are really good. Wait Till Helen Comes was my favorite.

Also, for one that is clean without swearing I highly recommend Nancy Campbell Allen's Steampunk fairy tale series. The first is Beauty and the Clockwork Beast. It would be perfect for Halloween! Werewolves, vampires, mysterious murders, and a sweet little clean romance. It's got the spooky tone without going overboard. The only thing in it is a couple mentions of the murder where the victim is a bloody mess, but she doesn't use gratuitous detail at all.

hope that gives you a few choices! I could go on too if you want more!

message 5: by Michele (new)

Michele | 22 comments Night Gardner, Mexican gothic

message 6: by Sandy (new)

Sandy (sngrant) | 69 comments The Graveyard book
Golden and Grey
The Headless Cupid
Jennifer, Hecate, Macbeth and Me, Elizabeth

message 7: by Diane (new)

Diane | 16 comments When the Whistle Blows by Fran Cannon Slayton. At first you think it's going to be a little occultish but turns out to be be pretty innocent. Basically the story of a boy growing up in West Virginia in the 40s. Each chapter takes place in a different year on Halloween. It's a truly delightful read. Heart-warming and super clean. I recommended it to my 14-yr-old grandson.

message 8: by C. (new)

C. | 297 comments Thank you all so much for sharing!

Some very good sounding suggestions, and I must agree with the suggestion for Mary Downing Hahn's books,I love her writing! :D

message 9: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (amandalyn) | 102 comments The Historian by Elizabeth Kostova

message 10: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (amandalyn) | 102 comments I am reading The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes. Its really good.