Middle East/North African Lit discussion

2021 > Empowering Women Brainstorm

Comments Showing 1-24 of 24 (24 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Melanie, Marhaba Language Expertise (new)

Melanie (magidow) | 647 comments Mod
Dear All,
This is the thread for brainstorming books to read in 2021 that fall in the category "empowering women." Here are the books we have so far:
- A novel for Hanan Al Shaykh (Please suggest a title!)
- Women Without Men: A Novel of Modern Iran
- A Border Passage: From Cairo to America – A Woman's Journey
- Wondrous Journeys in Strange Lands

We can brainstorm here until the end of the October. On November 1st I'll plan to gather all the recommendations into a poll to determine which of these books we would most like to read in 2021. Thank you!

message 2: by Melanie, Marhaba Language Expertise (last edited Oct 14, 2020 05:21AM) (new)

We've had one suggestion for The Story of Zahra by Hanan al-Shaykh (from Nan in this thread )

message 3: by Niledaughter (new)

Niledaughter | 2794 comments Mod
Melanie wrote: "We've had one suggestion for The Story of Zahra by Hanan al-Shaykh (from Nan in this thread )"

I read it a while ago, good rfecommendation.

I recommend The Golden Chariot, I read for Salwa Bakr before and I think I would like to read for her again.

message 4: by Ardene (last edited Oct 17, 2020 02:42PM) (new)

Ardene (booksnpeaches) | 113 comments I am interested in Touba and the meaning of night by Shahrnush Parsipur, and The bridges of Constantine, the first in a trilogy by Ahlem Mosteghanemi

However, I see my public library has Parsipur's Women without men, so I might read that along with the group, and if I like it go on to Touba and the meaning of night.

I reccomend A border passage : from Cairo to America.

I'm also curious about Wondrous journeys in strange lands and The golden charioit mentioned above.

Adding one more and then I'll stop - Radwa Ashour's Grenada trilogy

message 5: by Orgeluse (new)

Orgeluse | 45 comments Women Without Men: A Novel of Modern Iran would be available for me on Kindle, The Story of Zahra as paperback. I would suggest the second but also second the first.

message 6: by Niledaughter (new)

Ardene wrote: "I am interested in Touba and the meaning of night by Shahrnush Parsipur, and The bridges of Constantine, the first in a trilogy by Ahlem Mosteghanemi

However, I see my public library has Parsipur'..."

We read The Bridges of Constantine/ Memory in the flesh
in here:
https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

Do you like to to have a re-read discussion or read the second part?

Also we read Granada in here

How I wish the rest is available in English! Only Arabic and Spanish I think, interested in a reread?

Women Without Men: A Novel of Modern Iran is not available for me until now, but I think I can reach a copy of Touba and the Meaning of Night

Orgeluse wrote: "Women Without Men: A Novel of Modern Iran would be available for me on Kindle, The Story of Zahra as paperback. I would suggest the second but also second the first."

Great!

message 7: by Ardene (new)

Ardene (booksnpeaches) | 113 comments Niledaughter, thanks for the links. These will all be first reads for me, I'll be glad to see others' comments.

Let's see which one wins the January vote and see if any of these are selected by the group.

message 8: by Eman (new)

Eman AbuKhadra | 1 comments Melanie wrote: "Dear All,
This is the thread for brainstorming books to read in 2021 that fall in the category "empowering women." Here are the books we have so far:
- A novel for Hanan Al Shaykh (Please suggest a..."

Hi all,
Thank you for the lovely recommendations.

On my to-read list I have the following books that fit into the theme of empowering women, I thought I'd share.

1. Women of Sand and Myrrha novel by Hanan al-Shaykh
2. I Sweep the Sun Off Rooftops, a collection of short stories by Hanan al-Shaykh
3. The Sand Fish: A Novel from Dubai, a novel by Maha Gargash.

message 9: by Niledaughter (new)

Ardene wrote: "Niledaughter, thanks for the links. These will all be first reads for me, I'll be glad to see others' comments.

Let's see which one wins the January vote and see if any of these are selected by t..."

Hopefully we will have more than one to read :)

Eman wrote: "Melanie wrote: "Dear All,
- A novel for Hanan Al Shaykh (..."

Welcome Eman, thanks for sharing and adding to the list, I did not read any of them. :)

message 10: by Niledaughter (new)

In case anyone missed our invitations, Melanie set the poll in here:
https://www.goodreads.com/poll/show/2...

I am very excited ! :D

message 11: by Melanie, Marhaba Language Expertise (new)

From the initial results of our Empowering Women poll, the winner is Women Without Men: A Novel of Modern Iran, to be led by Niledaughter (as always, unless a member volunteers to lead instead).

We have decided to accept a 2nd place winner, A Border Passage: From Cairo to America – A Woman's Journey, to be led by Melanie.

In addition, we'll run one more poll between the next 3 books: Granada, The Story of Zahra, and Wondrous Journeys in Strange Lands. Please vote! The poll is open until Nov. 25 here.

message 12: by Nicole (new)

Nicole B (nicolebergen) | 16 comments Wonderful. I’ve ordered Women Without Men and I might reread A Border Passage. I read it years ago and thought it was one of the best memoirs I’ve read.

message 13: by Rana (new)

Rana Asfour (goodreadscombookfabulous) | 13 comments Melanie wrote: "From the initial results of our Empowering Women poll, the winner is Women Without Men: A Novel of Modern Iran, to be led by Niledaughter (as always, unless a member volunteers to lea..."

I've already got a copy of "Women without Men" so I'm glad it's a choice we're reading :)

message 14: by Orgeluse (new)

Orgeluse | 45 comments I have Women Without Men: A Novel of Modern Iran as kindle edition.

message 15: by Niledaughter (new)

Granada will be read in July- August 2021 , I edited 2021 plan thread.

Enjoy reading :)

message 16: by Melanie, Marhaba Language Expertise (new)

Wonderful! Looking forward to it :)

message 17: by Nan (new)

Nan Carter | 161 comments Niledaughter wrote: "Granada will be read in July- August 2021 , I edited 2021 plan thread.

Enjoy reading :)"

What a great way to talk about books by women. Many suggestions i’m not yet familiar with. Thank You to everyone who has posted.

message 18: by Melanie, Marhaba Language Expertise (new)

Arabic Buddy Read: In case anyone here wants to read a book in Arabic only (sorry, no English translation available yet), Melanie and NileDaughter are planning to read دارية together in April 2021. Just let us know if you want to join in :)

message 19: by Orgeluse (last edited Dec 15, 2020 12:36PM) (new)

Orgeluse | 45 comments I am definitely in for the first two as they are already on my shelves :)) and I can only add thank you all for all those recommendations!!

message 20: by Carolien (new)

Carolien (carolien_s) | 36 comments Women Without Men: A Novel of Modern Iran is on special on Amazon if that helps anybody.

message 21: by Niledaughter (new)

For those who were interested in reading Memory in the Flesh, it is currently discussed in "Great African Reads " group, in here:

message 22: by Inji (new)

Inji | 44 comments I was reading through this and thinking of jotting down the Golden Chariot and then saw it. Love this book. Not sure if the recommendations are still open but I have been curious about In the Footsteps of Enayat Al Zayat في أثر عنايات الزيات by Iman Mersal because of a random article I read.

message 23: by Inji (new)

Inji | 44 comments Also happy to re-read 10 Minutes 36 Seconds in This Strange World by Elif Shafak (but I think you’ve read it already?). And so happy about Granada :) also a favorite.

message 24: by Niledaughter (new)

Inji wrote: "I was reading through this and thinking of jotting down the Golden Chariot and then saw it. Love this book. Not sure if the recommendations are still open but I have been curious about In the Foots..."

We are not having polls at the moment, but the rest of the year selections are not settled yet .

مناقشة دارية لسحر الموجي