What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

UNSOLVED: One specific book > Elementary/Middle School age chapter book, Asian American girl befriends Asian immigrant girl. It's about the bicultural and immigrant experience.

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Marilyn (new)

Marilyn Rincon | 3 comments I read this book around 2016-108. It was a current book at the time, not old. Characters lived in America. Each girl (Asian American and Asian immigrant) each lost a friend and then met each other at school. They learn about each other's cultural experience. They share their Asian heritage in common, but one is first generation and the other is an immigrant. Book is in English. I believe it may have had some words in the girls' Asian language (don't remember which country they are from, but I feel like they are from China).

message 2: by Becca (last edited Oct 13, 2020 08:59AM) (new)

Becca (beccalikesbooks) | 2814 comments It's not exactly what you describe, but The Jade Dragon by Carolyn Marsden and Virginia Shin-Mui Loh has a Chinese-American girl who's been raised in the US but has a strong connection to Chinese culture, and a Chinese girl adopted by white parents, who doesn't.

message 3: by Marilyn (new)

Marilyn Rincon | 3 comments Thank you! It's not it, but sounds similar enough and could be useful (I'm a teacher).

message 4: by Rainbowheart (new)

Rainbowheart | 19593 comments Kinda reminds me of If It Hadn't Been for Yoon Jun, but I think it's too old, plus the other kid is a boy.

Might also check the Asian Young Adult and Middle Grade Fiction list.

message 5: by Marilyn (new)

Marilyn Rincon | 3 comments Thank you!

message 6: by Kris (new)

Kris | 35348 comments Mod
Marilyn, is your book If It Hadn't Been for Yoon Jun by Marie G. Lee - Rainbowheart's suggestion?

message 7: by Becca (new)

Becca (beccalikesbooks) | 2814 comments Honeysuckle House by Andrea Cheng is another possibility, if you're still looking.