Lord of the Flies Lord of the Flies discussion

Was Ralph immune to savagery?

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Hannah Cattanach Having not read Rhinoceros I cannot comment on any comparison, however:

I think certain people can be immune to savagery as long as they feel they fit in with the group at large in terms of feeling protected by not standing out, or perhaps feeling accepted as they reflect the views of the group.

Examples would be people who are part of a bullies group of friends, soldiers, an extreme example would be the people who were part of the Nazi regime.

message 2: by Monty J (last edited Jan 20, 2015 07:49AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Monty J Heying Stephan wrote: "Do you believe some people can be immune to savagery?
Rhinoceros and Other Plays by Eugène Ionesco
In comparison with the character of Berenger from ‘Rhinoceros’ would you classify Ralph at the s..."

No. No one is immune. Not even a Buddhist monk or a Llama.

Like most other animals, man, when in mortal danger, will defend himself in any way possible. He who eats will do what is necessary to avoid being eaten. There's a point where the lizard brain overrides the cerebral cortex and survival "instinct" takes over.

The ability to kill lies within us all. If we're sane, it only surfaces when we feel mortally threatened.

A case can be made that Merridew's aggression was rooted in abnormal fear. The others succumbed only after he was able to exploit their fear by using the Beast as leverage.

Emma No, I don't think he was immune to savagery. Remember how he sometimes forgot why they needed to light the fire? Piggy had to remind him a few times that it was so they could be rescued.

I know that's not savage, but I think sooner or later he would become savage, if he didn't wind up dead.

Tristan I think only Piggy was "immune" to the savagery, and that is mostly because Piggy is essentially a personification of intellectualism and the human need for order. Think about how desperately Piggy holds onto the tradition of the conch, while Ralph realizes that he must react to savagery with violence.

Monty J Heying Stephan wrote: "Allie himself is a giant big symbol.."

Thanks. I've added it to my To Read list.