Love Inspired Heartsong Presents discussion

A Match for Meghan
This topic is about A Match for Meghan
LI Heartsong Presents Author Q&A > January 19-21 Q&A with Kimberly Rose Johnson

Comments Showing 1-30 of 30 (30 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Narelle (new)

Narelle (narelle_atkins) | 264 comments Welcome to our author Q&A with Kimberly Rose Johnson.

Kimberly Rose Johnson holds a degree in Behavioral Science from Northwest University. She lives in the Pacific Northwest with her husband, two teenage sons, and their yellow lab. She writes sweet Christian romance for Heartsong Presents and is a member of American Christian Fiction Writers. She enjoys taking long walks with her husband and dog, reading, dark chocolate and time with friends.

Kimberly’s latest book, A Match for Meghan, is a January 2015 release.

A Match for Meghan by Kimberly Rose Johnson

MEGHAN BLACK HAS FINALLY MET HER MATCH

The veterinary assistant never backs down from a dare…and what greater challenge than finding die-hard bachelor Ben Young his ideal mate? But what’s an incurable cupid to do when the handsome vet turns the tables and asks her out?

Ben is perfectly content with his single life. And he figures there’s only one way to get the petite dynamo to quit her matchmaking—date her himself! But his plan backfires when he realizes that Meghan could be The One. Can he convince a woman who believes in happy endings for everyone but herself that he’s her Mr. Right?

Welcome, Kimberly! I’m opening the floor for our readers to ask questions and start our discussion.

message 2: by Sally (new)

Sally | 3 comments Hi, Kimberly!! This sounds like a great book! Why doesn't Meghan believe in happy endings for herself? What happened to make her think that? Thanks for chatting today!

message 3: by Carol (new) - added it

Carol | 18 comments What type of dog do you have? Did taking your dog to the vet inspire your
characters occupations?
Nice to meet you today as you are a new author to me. Your book sounds
like a good read
Thanks for being here.

message 4: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly | 103 comments Sally wrote: "Hi, Kimberly!! This sounds like a great book! Why doesn't Meghan believe in happy endings for herself? What happened to make her think that? Thanks for chatting today!"

Hi Sally, I can't tell you exactly why Meghan doesn't believe in happy endings for yourself without spoiling the story, but I will say this, Meghan had a difficult childhood that included a traumatic experience. This experience caused her to believe she was unlovable. Although at first glance Meghan appears immature and annoying, she is actually a very deep, thoughtful character with a huge heart.

message 5: by Kimberly (last edited Jan 19, 2015 07:34AM) (new)

Kimberly | 103 comments Carol wrote: "What type of dog do you have? Did taking your dog to the vet inspire your
characters occupations?
Nice to meet you today as you are a new author to me. Your book sounds
like a good read
Thanks for..."

Hi, Carol! It's great meeting you. :)
I have a yellow lab and before that a small American Eskimo.

As far as inspiration goes, Meghan was a secondary character in the first book of this series. The first book, The Christmas Promise, had a veterinarian as the hero. I also wrote that he worked with another vet there--Ben then hero of this book.
As I was writing that book, three or four years ago now, I remember thinking that Meghan needed her own story. She is quirky, fun and actually quite deep.

I guess, the concept of having a veterinarian as a hero, likens back to the plot of the first story. There was a little boy who very much wanted a puppy for Christmas and having a vet as my hero made perfect sense. :)

Oh, and regarding your question if taking my dog to the vet inspired this occupation, I think probably not, but I did use my experiences at the vets office to draw from when writing. :)

message 6: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly | 103 comments I'm curious if any of you have read A Match for Meghan or any of the other books in the series.

Any matchmakers out there?

message 7: by June (new)

June | 213 comments I haven't read it yet, Kimberley, but I do have it already. I've read your other HP books and love your writing!! I love matchmaker stories! :) Looking forward to reading this one soon.

message 8: by Sally (new)

Sally | 3 comments I haven't read any of your books. I'm thinking that needs to change! Meghan's story sounds great! Thanks for sharing!

message 9: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly | 103 comments June wrote: "I haven't read it yet, Kimberley, but I do have it already. I've read your other HP books and love your writing!! I love matchmaker stories! :) Looking forward to reading this one soon."

Thanks, June!! I think Meghan made an appearance in all the other books, but she was easy to miss in Holly's story. :)

I hope you enjoy this one as much as the others. I'm a little nervous about Meghan's story because she is admittedly a little immature for her age. As I wrote her I felt like she is young at heart but her enthusiasm for all things romantic comes across as slightly immature to some readers. I hope that won't bother you as you read.

Of all my characters I've written Meghan is my favorite. I love her imperfections and her tenacity. :)

message 10: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly | 103 comments Sally wrote: "I haven't read any of your books. I'm thinking that needs to change! Meghan's story sounds great! Thanks for sharing!"

Thanks, Sally. I'm glad you like the sound of the story. :)

message 11: by Melody (new)

Melody | 136 comments Sounds like the kind of book I want to read! :) In fact, I need to check out this series!

message 12: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly | 103 comments Thanks, Melody! I hope you enjoy it.:)

message 13: by Ausjenny (new)

Ausjenny | 207 comments Haven't read it yet. I love the idea of the tables being turned on her. sounds like an interesting book. will there be any more in the series? and do you have plans for when the line ends?

message 14: by Shannon (new)

Shannon Vannatter (shannontaylorvannatter) | 171 comments Hey Kimberly,
My son has a chocolate lab, Hershey. I just took her to the vet yesterday. She's almost nine and doing pretty good. Wish I could keep her going forever. She's the best dog - calm, patient, obedient and loves our son beyond measure.

The book sounds interesting.

message 15: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly | 103 comments Ausjenny wrote: "Haven't read it yet. I love the idea of the tables being turned on her. sounds like an interesting book. will there be any more in the series? and do you have plans for when the line ends?"

Yes, the tables are definitely turned!:)
It's hands down my favorite story I've written, well, maybe it ties with my first one.

To answer your question this is the fourth book in the series and the last. Each book easily stands alone, but if you want to see the progression of the characters it's best to start with The Christmas Promise, then A Romance Rekindled, then A Holiday Proposal and finally A Match for Meghan.

As far as what I'm going to do once the line closes, I'm leaning toward going indie. I'm doing a box set with five other writer that will release in July. I hope to be in another box set with a Christmas book release date TBD. Beyond that, I have the first book written in two different series and I need to decide which one to move forward with. At this moment, I plan to release the first in one of those in the summer or spring of 2016.

message 16: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly | 103 comments Shannon wrote: "Hey Kimberly,
My son has a chocolate lab, Hershey. I just took her to the vet yesterday. She's almost nine and doing pretty good. Wish I could keep her going forever. She's the best dog - calm, pat..."

Shannon, I think labs are the best. I hope your dog lives for many years to come. Our dog is almost seven, I think, she might be almost eight, I always lose track.

message 17: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly | 103 comments Do any of you have pets?
It's funny, now that I think about it, but Meghan doesn't. She lives in an apartment.
Ben lives on a farm, no pets that I can remember lol, but he lets a teen boy use his property to raise his cow for 4H.
You may think it's weird that I can't remember if Ben has a pet, but I wrote that book over a year ago and I don't have a good memory for details.

message 18: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly | 103 comments Here is a behind the scene tidbit just for you.
Ben was originally named Graham. In fact I wrote the entire book that way and still have a hard time thinking of him as Ben.
His name was changed when my beta-reader felt his name was too old for his character.

He's in his early 30's. What do you think? He will forever be Ben, but I'm curious about your opinion.

message 19: by Melody (last edited Jan 20, 2015 05:17PM) (new)

Melody | 136 comments I am not a dog or cat person, but I love birds. I have a cockatiel, Koho. He is seventeen, so my days with him are numbered! The momma bird bit his leg off when he was just hatched, and so he's my one legged pet! Also his wing was broken and my bro (who raised him) didn't realize it until too late so it never got set, so he cannot fly. He's feisty, but so am I, so we are a good match!

We had a pet chicken when I was little, she was literally part of the family, and so we have always had a fondness for chickens, and last spring my bro decided to get a few. Well they kept dying when they were just tiny, and my dad up and bought about a dozen, and then those all survived, so we ended up with about 14 chickens, more than we intended! Oh well, the eggs are nice. Get a dozen a day!

message 20: by Melody (new)

Melody | 136 comments Ben is my brother's name, so I am kind of fond of it. I do like the name Graham though, I think it would have been just fine. In my opinion. :)

message 21: by June (new)

June | 213 comments I think there's always someone who likes 'old' names. But to go with the time and popularity of names, Ben was probably much more popular than Graham 30 years ago. I too like the name though :)

message 22: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly | 103 comments Looks like I made the right choice in changing his name.:)

message 23: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly | 103 comments Melody wrote: "I am not a dog or cat person, but I love birds. I have a cockatiel, Koho. He is seventeen, so my days with him are numbered! The momma bird bit his leg off when he was just hatched, and so he's my ..."

Melody, what a mean mama bird. I'm glad your bird has still been able to have a good life in spite of the hardship of not being able to fly and having to balance on one leg.
When I was a girl, my sister had a bird. I don't recall what kind, but his name was Prettyboy. He sang like crazy. We had to cover his cage at night, or he'd sing. :)
Interesting side note. The book set I'm doing that releases in July has an animal theme, which includes birds. :)

message 24: by Melody (last edited Jan 21, 2015 06:29PM) (new)

Melody | 136 comments Yeah any time I want to shush him, I have to cover his cage. He likes to sing in the mornings, and I am not a morning person! But right now he's in the living room, not my bedroom, so he gets to go uncovered. :)
Yay for birds, they don't pop up so much in books in comparison to cats and dogs.

message 25: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly | 103 comments Melody wrote: "Yeah any time I want to shush him, I have to cover his cage. He likes to sing in the mornings, and I am not a morning person! But right now he's in the living room, not my bedroom, so he gets to go..."

LOL, Melody.

message 26: by June (new)

June | 213 comments My favorite pet ever was a parakeet that belonged to my oldest son. He was yellow and my son named him "Shine" because he was like the Sunshine. On occasion the silly bird would push the food door up so he could escape his cage. The most memorable escape was when there was a lemon pie on the table and Shine flew into it. He was the same color, so he blended in and it took a few minutes to figure out where he was. He and the goldfish were/are the easiest pets to care for. Cats and dogs always seem so needy and are noisy about letting you know it!

message 27: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly | 103 comments June, what a funny story! Shine sounds like he was a fun bird. :)

message 28: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly | 103 comments It was fun visiting with all of you this week. Thanks for sharing about your pets. :)

message 29: by Melody (new)

Melody | 136 comments Thank you! :)

message 30: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly | 103 comments Melody wrote: "Thank you! :)"

:)