2015 Reading Challenge [Closed] discussion

Dark Places
This topic is about Dark Places
. Week 10: Mystery or Thriller > Dark Places by Gillian Flynn

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Nikki Day (nikkiday) I never read Gone Girl so I'm interested to see what this book brings! Mystery and thriller books are a new interest I have.

message 2: by Marah (new)

Marah (eyreo) I didn't like this book. Gillian Flynn has great plots and story lines and she ruins them with unbelievable climaxes. That's just my opinion though. My friends do not agree.

Let me know how you like it!

Luisa (deborahluisa) I read Gone Girl recently and loved! I'm willing to read more stuff from Gillian Flynn. I have other book planned to this week, but i'll be looking foward your opinions on this book :)

Cris (cris_lectora) This book was just ok for me. I thought both Gone Girl and Sharp Objects were much better. It's an entertaining read, though.

message 5: by Emily (new)

Emily | 5 comments This was my favorite of Gillian Flynn's books. I hope you enjoy it too!!!

Michelle H (shelleybean1) | 10 comments I read this for another book by author you love since I so enjoyed Gone Girl. Strangely, I didn't like this one AT ALL. Go figure.

Nikki Day (nikkiday) Definitely seems to be mixed reviews on this one! Can't wait to see if I enjoy it or not

Biana I have a thing about reading books that are going to become movies. (It's fun to find the list and find new books) I read Gone Girl for that reason and then promptly went out to get Dark Places. I stopped there, didn't pick up Sharp Things.

I think this author is brilliant. I think she's astounding. I think she makes you feel deeply. And...she creeps me out. I think that's a good thing because I think it's what she was going for.

Murder mysteries in book, movie and tv have always interested me. Not the violence but the deduction. However, all that violence that we witness....what does that do to a 'real person'? I felt like Ms. Flynn answered that in this book. I mean, would you be okay if you endured the same trauma?

I hope you get something out of it Nikki. Even if it's not exactly 'enjoyment'.

Happy reading!!

Nikki Day (nikkiday) Thanks Biana, I'm really looking forward to it! I'm only just starting to get into mystery books so should be interesting.

Ashley (bibliophrenia) | 112 comments Is this the first in the series?

Amanda | 12 comments no, it's not part of a series. all 3 of gillian's books are stand alone books. the first book she wrote was 'sharp objects', then she wrote 'dark places', and her latest book is 'gone girl'.

i have read all 3 books and my favorite is 'sharp objects', but 'dark places' was very good as well.

Ashley (bibliophrenia) | 112 comments Interesting! Thanks for clarifying :)

Amanda | 12 comments You're welcome! I hope you enjoy the books!

message 14: by Jasmine (new)

Jasmine (pikakejazz) Yeah I am one of the masses; I loved her Gone Girl... I would like to try and read some more of her stuff in the future, but I don't know if I want to read it for the mystery/thriller week quite yet. I have heard her stuff can be kind of formulaic??

message 15: by Amy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Amy Tucker (aldtucker) | 91 comments I'm reading this for Mystery/Thriller.

message 16: by Sara (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sara (confettti) | 25 comments I had about 3/4 of the book to finish when I picked the book up last night and I didn't fall asleep until I finished it. I'm not one for mystery books but I really like this book. It was definitely dark but it didn't turn me off like I thought it might, I was just intrigued by the characters and their dark sides.