Play Book Tag discussion

The Boston Girl
This topic is about The Boston Girl
October 2020: Other Books > (POLL BALLOT) The Boston Girl / Anita Diamant - 5*****

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 6090 comments The Boston Girl by Anita Diamant
The Boston Girl – Anita Hill
Digital audiobook performed by Linda Lavin
5*****

85-year-old Addie Baum is interviewed by her “favorite” granddaughter for a project. And so she begins to relate her life from the beginning. Her parents emigrated in the late 1890s from Russia, along with her two older sisters. Addie was born in Boston in 1900 and has lived her entire life in that city. In many ways this was an ordinary life, but Addie’s telling shows how even “ordinary” people can have extraordinary events in their lives.

I just loved this book. I loved Addie – feisty, intelligent, curious, determined, adventurous, compassionate. She’s a loyal friend and confidante. She’s also practical about her decisions, but still willing to take a risk. I was completely mesmerized by her storytelling.

Diamant gives us the most detail about Addie’s single life from about age fifteen to age thirty. The narrative compresses significantly when she’s married and begins her family, though this is also when she takes one of the biggest risks: pursuing her education and a career.

While I’ve visited Boston a couple of times, I’m certainly not intimately familiar with it, but Diamant paints such a clear picture of Addie’s Boston (and environs) that I feel I know it.

Linda Lavin does a spectacular job of narrating the audiobook. I really felt as if I were hearing Addie relate these stories of her young self.

LINK to my review

message 2: by NancyJ (new) - added it

NancyJ (nancyjjj) | 5681 comments Great review. I'd like to read this.