Beta Reader Group discussion

Betas Offering FREE Services > Free Beta Reading - YA Fantasy, Fantasy, LGBTQ, and Short Stories

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lauren (new)

Lauren | 5 comments Hello! I'm Lauren and I have some openings in October and November for some beta reads/feedback. My favorite genre is YA fantasy (vampires, witches, unusual magic forms, and/or mermaids are my jam, but I love the genre as a whole), but I'm also available for fantasy (no sci-fi), LGBTQ, and short stories. I know this is *super* specific, but I also have a weird obsession with books that involve piano-related characters or plot lines that take place in modern France. I can provide constructive feedback on world creation, plot, structure, pacing, flow, etc (or if you're looking for something specific, I can do that too). Feel free to respond here or send me a DM. Have a great night, writers!

message 2: by Abby (new)

Abby Wadlington | 23 comments Hi Lauren!
I'm currently looking for beta readers for a YA fantasy manuscript. It doesn't have any vampires, witches, or mermaids, but it has magic! If you're interested and available, I would LOVE your feedback! You wouldn't need to read the entire manuscript if you don't want to. Any feedback helps! Let me know if you are interested. Thank you!

Some basic information about the manuscript:
Title: Stellar
Word Count: Roughly 93K words
Brief Summary: Lucine Callisto, daughter of an astronomer and hater of all things galactic, discovers that she is descended from the moon. With the help of other Stellars--children born of galactic bodies, she must find a way to stop a soul-stealing Sun descendant from further wreaking havoc in her town.
Other Details: I wouldn't say there's any 'mature' content (no sex, no crazy violence, etc.); this is the fourth draft of the project, and it has been self-edited a few times to ensure that it is (hopefully) minimal on grammatical mistakes :)

message 3: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth | 4 comments Hi Lauren! :)

I know is not among your preferred genres but I would love if you could have a look at my YA coming-of-age novel titled She's the pilot (it's 73k words) and share some feedback, it would help a lot!

I have attached a blurb below:
Olivia agreed with her parents to put love on hold to focus on high school and her studies. It made sense to her, her friends' relationships never lasted anyway. However, all change when her childhood friend Omar comes back into her life to push her out of her comfort zone and pull her towards love.

Olivia has now to deal with the insecurities that come with your first relationship while also managing demanding parents, the pressure of school, frenemies in her soccer team and tension in the friend group.

Thank you for your time!

message 4: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly Wylie Hi Lauren,

I've just completed my YA supernatural mystery.

Here is the current blurb (although this is really rough):

Jenna Sutton is nothing like the iconic vampire slayer of TV fame. She’s the antithesis of a cheerleader. She’s not peppy. And she sucks at gymnastics. She has nothing in common with the fictional Buffy, other than being blonde and in high school.

Oh, and occasionally she kills vampires for a living.

Of course, it's not just vampires she has to worry about. As a hunter for the Consortium, she's charged with tracking down and taking care of lots of things that go bump in the night.

Including zombies.

Following an attack on an English teacher at a nearby school, it becomes clear this wasn’t an ordinary coyote bite. The gray-green Lichtenberg-like webbing making its way up Ms. Pruett’s arm can mean only one thing—zombies. But this isn’t a normal zombie attack. The victims seem to be hand-picked.

Can Jenna complete her investigation without the school administrators discovering she’s actually a high school student from another school? Will Jenna be able to find out who’s behind these attacks before a full-scale zombie outbreak overtakes her town? And perhaps most importantly, why did her best friend kiss her after all of these years?

I would love for you to give it a read.

Thanks!

Kim

Lauren wrote: "Hello! I'm Lauren and I have some openings in October and November for some beta reads/feedback. My favorite genre is YA fantasy (vampires, witches, unusual magic forms, and/or mermaids are my jam,..."

message 5: by Bil (new)

Bil Richardson | 14 comments Hi Lauren, I have a YA fantasy called Two Girls Save The World. It is about two best friends who become involved in supernatural events that could destroy the earth. It is set during the Day of the Dead celebration in Mexico. It is full of action, adventure, intrigue and the supernatural - plus a little humor. 65k

I have another Novella that is straight fantasy called Of Demons and Dragons that is straight adult fantasy. A demonic army attacks. A King resists and lures a dragon to help. The dragon backfires. Chaos ensues.

message 6: by Sansar (new)

Sansar | 5 comments Hi Lauren, I have a short story about my tribal name Hunter of North. 3k. Basically folktale. I am new and non-english. Desperately need beta.

Thanks

message 7: by MochaKitten (new)

MochaKitten | 3 comments Hi there! You've got a lot of responses already, and it's been a while since you posted this, but here's a little info about my book, just in case.
It's a character-driven modern fantasy. The working summary is, "A soon-to-be college student moves into a wizard's tower full of magical beings after learning that she's not as human as she thought she was."
Send me a message if you're interested and I can give you some more info c:

message 8: by Matthew (new)

Matthew Stegman | 1 comments Matthew Stegman is the author of If Anyone Can Hide it, it's Me and Parallel Universe Me Has No Scars, two self-published poetry collections. He has no other notable accomplishments. He’s honestly at best let everyone down, but he makes up for it with charisma. Matthew has always had a passion for literature and art. The Altruistic Hedonist, The Uneducated Prick, he strives every day to be a little better than the last. Matthew’s writing will often walk the tightrope balancing between taking itself a tad bit too seriously and playfully being as satirical as it possibly can. “Whatever happens, happens, baby.”

Would you like to beta read my chapbook Gator Heads & Wind Chimes?
It is a 50-page collection of short stories, poems, and overall my insanity.

Let me know! I can send a PDF to your email.
Thank you!

message 9: by Anastasia (new)

Anastasia Ifinedo (staceytheplatypus) | 23 comments @Matthew Stegman I don't know how good I am, but I'd love to beta read your work. You can email it to ifana8262@gmail.com

message 10: by Arcadian (new)

Arcadian Barrett (a_nathair) Hi, Lauren,

I think you'd be a great fit to beta read my novel if you have the time.

Logline: While battling crises of identity and Kingdom throughout, warrior princess Malia Ausan learns some dark truths about the impact her family has had on the Kingdom, the “Uncharted Territory” they’re at war with, and even her own past.

Synopsis: The Kingdom of Camoor proclaims itself as a place where anyone can reach their full potential – future seeing magicians Class citizens when they come of age, giving them the perfect job and social status to help citizens live their lives to the fullest. Humans aren’t alone in Camoor and its territories, but the strong and silver-blooded elves that live among them don’t share the same rights as its human citizens.

The novel centers around Malia, the princess who cares only about two things: her military prowess and her elf girlfriend. The idealistic heir to the throne, she’s fiercely protective, competitive, and loyal. But that fierce loyalty will be questioned when the Queen hands down punishment by sending her out on a military rite of passage several years early and in disgrace after she kills a fellow soldier. Her Expedition takes her through the newly conquered territory of Nadun as they head to the Uncharted Territory the Kingdom is at war with.

Let me know if you are interested.

message 11: by E.L. (new)

E.L. Waring | 142 comments I appreciate your willingness to help authors and read their work! Here is a synopsis of my manuscript I hope you will love to read:

Have you heard of the Dunites? You probably haven't, but you no doubt have felt their effect on your life. Something else people don't know about is the secret they kept about something they found in the remote sand dunes they lived in.

You probably have heard and Ansel Adams, Cecil B Demille, and John Steinbeck? Unknown to most is they would never have been the famous individuals they became if it hadn't been for the Dunites, the special place they lived, and the secret they only knew. The Dunites lived in the miles of sand dunes found on the central coast of California back in the 1920s and 30s. At the time, they were well known, and might be likened to the Hippies of the 1960s, just well ahead of their time. They influenced dance, entertainment, politics and religion, influence we see as a normal part of culture today. Strange people don't know who they are anymore.

How did this small group of odd individuals have such an influence on society?

My manuscript explores these amazing people and the incredible place they lived by means of a modern day, semi fictional 14 year old boy. Tristen discovers his recently deceased father's hidden journal about the Dunites and how he tried to discover their secrets when he was a teenager, but soon finds his discoveries unknowingly continued until his death, perhaps the cause of his demise. The boy begins a search for these secrets in the miles of dunes, a search that intensifies with the discovery of an elusive old man said to be the remaining Dunite, and still living hidden there. The secret this old man knows has the power to change mankind!

There are also many historical and modern photos included, adding a further sense of reality, blurring the line between fiction and non-fiction. If this is a manuscript you would like to read, I would love to get your comments! Please let me know of your interest.

Gene

message 12: by E.L. (new)

E.L. Waring | 142 comments Dunites: Utopia
Blog by Tristan Gaines

This is the 3rd group of doctors today that have come to examine me in my hospital bed. I hate feeling like some lab rat that everyone wants to see. They should just post me on Instagram or something, it would be so much easier.

Why are all these doctors coming to see a 14-year-old kid? It has to do with how I’m recovering from my really bad injuries miraculously fast! They are even calling me the miracle kid.
So why would I write a blog about this? It’s because my doctor won’t believe me after I told him why I am healing so quickly, and people really need to know what happened and hear about what I found. What I discovered is going to affect everyone; it will affect you, your family, I imagine all of Mankind! But, if my doctor, seeing in person my completely impossible recovery doesn’t believe me, how could I ever get someone to believe me?
My only hope is to write down everything, because to have any possibility of believing me, you will need to hear the whole story. This story comes with a warning though, because the few people who know the things I am about to tell you were almost killed, plus what they found out changed them forever! Also, I hope can handle finding out that some things you have believed your whole life are not actually true, because if not, you’ll want to stop reading right here. But if you’re the kind of person who wants to find out the REAL truth, as unbelievable as it might seem, then I urge you to continue.

You’ve kept reading……..good! You may never forget this day, because what you are going to read here will no doubt change your life!

There are two reasons I’ve named this blog Dunites: Utopia. The first reason is because without the Dunites, there would be no incredible story and no truths to be revealed. The second reason? Well, you’re going to have to hear the whole story to understand that.

Before we begin, you need to know what a Dunite is. This old magazine article will explain:

message 13: by Molly (last edited Apr 09, 2021 08:42PM) (new)

Molly Stegall (mollystegall) | 193 comments Hello, I have recently finished my Fantasy book: Ashes of Revenge (98k words). I would describe this as a YA Fantasy book and would love to have a Beta Reader(s) read and review it! If you would only be willing/able to do a chapter or two that is fine as well!

In the land of Corrail there are five species, using hate and spite to make the land a violent cesspool. Raven, a badly burned Mundus, knows that better than anyone. Betrayed by her Kingdom, and left for dead in enemy territory, she wants nothing but revenge against the Mundus King.

Years after the incident, an unlikely trio forms with similar interests: Colt, an anxiety-ridden Shifter, and Richard, an overly strict Farian. The small group devised a plan to ensure the Kingdom they live in is protected against the others that oppose it and prevent war.

Just as they begin to make progress, a new player in their twisted game appears: Death. Moving the players, the group end up in Raven’s old Kingdom with a new mission for her to follow that will take her to her limits. With Death promising that Colt and Richard will be hurt if she doesn’t do as she’s told, she agrees to the deal. But vengeance courses so fast beneath her skin that nothing can stop her from getting what she wants.

Please PM me :)