Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Book Issues > Someone has claimed my books!

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie Humphrey | 8 comments The profile below has claimed several of my books: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/5...

I authored Conversations: Ethan & Evangeline and came here to claim it, but found it on this person's site above. My profile: https://www.goodreads.com/author/show...

Please release my book from this author's page, so I may rightly claim in on my author page. Thank you!

message 2: by Suzi (last edited Oct 12, 2020 08:30PM) (new)

Suzi | 8667 comments 1. Goodreads differentiate between authors of the same name with spaces before the last name.

2. Your author profile has 2 spaces: Stephanie^^Humphrey where the ^ equals a space.

3. When books are imported from Amazon or other publishing or retail sites, the books automatically go to the "default" or 1-space profile. This is a systemic process. The author of that profile has neither deliberately claimed nor has any other involvement with your book being on their profile.

4. There are thousands of cases of authors with duplicate names, and Goodreads Librarians around the world correct these issues multiple times on a daily basis.

5. You can manually add a book to your profile if you want to keep the systemic import from placing the book on the wrong profile. Just remember to use 2 spaces in your author name.

message 3: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie Humphrey | 8 comments So adding my books manually now will take them off of the other person's profile?

Is the only way my books transition seamlessly is when I sign-in through Amazon?

If I delete my account from this site will it delete all of my books as well?

Thanks!

message 4: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

rivka | 44042 comments Mod
Stephanie wrote: "So adding my books manually now will take them off of the other person's profile?"

No. Books that are already listed on Goodreads can be moved by Goodreads Librarians to your profile. You will not be able to do so, and manually adding duplicates will only make more work for librarians. Linking -- in a single thread, like this one, not each one to its own thread -- to the books needing to be moved is the best way for you to help with that.

Stephanie wrote: "Is the only way my books transition seamlessly is when I sign-in through Amazon?"

The way you log in has no effect on this.

Stephanie wrote: "If I delete my account from this site will it delete all of my books as well?"

No.

message 5: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

rivka | 44042 comments Mod
Also, please note that I have closed or removed all the other threads you have started on this subject. It is much less confusing (and much less likely to cause multiple librarians working at cross-purposes) to have a single thread for your related requests like this.

message 6: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie Humphrey | 8 comments Gotcha. I actually started to add them all as one thread, but saw the section to add the book title, so I figured I should add them individually. I definitely didn't mean to bring confusion. I was just unsure if this is how you kept up with answering questions (adding the title so you could see the books we were referencing).? But maybe there was another option that I missed.? Either way, thank you for letting me know.

Thank you!

message 7: by Suzi (new)

Suzi | 8667 comments Stephanie wrote: "Gotcha. I actually started to add them all as one thread, but saw the section to add the book title, so I figured I should add them individually. I definitely didn't mean to bring confusion. I was ..."

I have added all the paperback editions for your works, added page counts and descriptions and a couple of covers to your Kindle editions, and removed some duplicates.

I think your profile is completely up to date and correct.

message 8: by lethe (new)

lethe | 13759 comments Stephanie wrote: "Gotcha. I actually started to add them all as one thread, but saw the section to add the book title, so I figured I should add them individually."

Linking the book title and/or author name in the topic header is not obligatory. You can leave it empty, as you did in this thread :)