Brain Pain discussion

Tristram Shandy
This topic is about Tristram Shandy
Tristram Shandy - 2015 > Discussion - Week Three - Tristram Shandy - Vol. V - VI, pg. 238 - 334

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jim (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jim | 3055 comments Mod
This discussion covers Volume V – VI, pg. 238 – 334

To avoid spoilers, please limit your comments to page 1 – 334.

message 2: by Mkfs (new) - added it

Mkfs | 210 comments
But this is neither here nor there —why do I mention it?
——Ask my pen, —it governs me, —I govern not it.

Do tell.

message 3: by Jonathan (last edited Feb 01, 2015 10:50AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jonathan | 108 comments Ok, with vol.5, ch.17 we suddenly switch to Tristram at five years old with the accidental circumcision. He's a bit coy when mentioning it:
The chamber-maid had left no ******* *** under the bed:—Cannot you contrive, master, quoth Susannah, lifting up the sash with one hand, as she spoke, and helping me up into the window seat with the other,—cannot you manage, my dear, for a single time to **** *** ** *** ******?
I guess that the missing words are 'chamber pot' and 'piss out of the window', non?

message 4: by Mkfs (new) - added it

Mkfs | 210 comments Hmm, that's perhaps the greatest flaw in the ebook version (Kindle or HTML): the asterisks are all grouped together, as HTML gobbles whitespace.

So instead of "**** *** ** *** ******", you get "* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *", which is downright incomprehensible.

Jonathan | 108 comments I was going to read an e-version but didn't like the fact that all the little formatting tricks were missing. Also, I'm glad for all the notes as well.

I wasn't sure at first if the number of asterisks was deliberate or just random but then it clicked.

message 6: by Mkfs (last edited Feb 04, 2015 05:21PM) (new) - added it

Mkfs | 210 comments
For never did thy eyes behold, or thy concupiscence covet anything in this world, more concupiscible than widow Wadman.

To conceive this right,—call for pen and ink—here’s paper ready to your hand.——Sit down, Sir, paint her to your own mind——as like your mistress as you can——as unlike your wife as your conscience will let you—’tis all one to me.

No amount of asterisks will save you there, Mr Shandy!

Also, does he actually blame (in VI:XXXIII) the digressions in his writing on the accident of his conception, or is he blaming his father's Tristrampaedia?

And another thing... why is there no Tristrampaedia to compete with Wikipedia? This matter needs to be rectified.

message 7: by Jonathan (last edited Feb 05, 2015 12:57PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jonathan | 108 comments I've taken a bit of a rest after vol.5 but will continue soon.

Do we actually find out anything about Widow Wadman?

I wondered if his father's Tristramaepedia was the source of his knowledge about these events.

message 8: by Mkfs (new) - added it

Mkfs | 210 comments Jonathan wrote: "I've taken a bit of a rest after vol.5 but will continue soon."

Not a rest! A mere digression.

Jonathan | 108 comments Mkfs wrote: "Jonathan wrote: "I've taken a bit of a rest after vol.5 but will continue soon."

Not a rest! A mere digression."

Yes, a digression.

I'll get my **** ******** at the weekend and carry on with vol.6. I've been too busy writing my Jonathaepedia to read TS this week.

message 10: by Mkfs (new) - added it

Mkfs | 210 comments I should warn you, Vol 7 goes pretty far afield.

Renato (renatomrocha) | 35 comments I'm sorry I haven't engaged in discussion as much as I hoped to. Having crazy weeks at work lately. I'm hoping to finish the book this weekend.

I'm absolutely loving everything about it, from the digressions to the graphical tricks, to the events...

I'm also impressed by how much of Don Quixote he used! Not only he talked about the characters and Cervantes, but even the humour sound quixotian and the little stories he added, like the Slawkenbergius and other little interludes.

And what is the funniest is that I guess we'll never really know of Tristram's life and opinions... will we?

message 12: by Amy (last edited Feb 06, 2015 06:57AM) (new) - added it

Amy | 21 comments Mkfs wrote: "Hmm, that's perhaps the greatest flaw in the ebook version (Kindle or HTML): the asterisks are all grouped together, as HTML gobbles whitespace.

So instead of "**** *** ** *** ******", you get "*..."

Luckily, my Kindle edition has the asterisks laid out correctly - at least for those examples. (It's a Kindle version of the Modern Library edition).

Jonathan | 108 comments Renato wrote: "I'm sorry I haven't engaged in discussion as much as I hoped to. Having crazy weeks at work lately. I'm hoping to finish the book this weekend.

I'm absolutely loving everything about it, from the ..."

I'm glad you're enjoying it Renato. Real life has been impinging on my reading time as well just lately and I really have to pay attention when reading TS.

Jonathan | 108 comments Ho! Ho! Back reading TS and we're straight back to the jokes. We get a list of scholars who produced works at a young age and then:
—But you forget the great Lipsius, quoth Yorick, who composed a work the day he was born;—They should have wiped it up, said my uncle Toby, and said no more about it.

Renato (renatomrocha) | 35 comments LOL! I loved that one.

aPriL does feral sometimes  (cheshirescratch) Sterne is an incredible wit. How much fun he must have been as a guest!

Jonathan | 108 comments I know April, when I was reading it I often wondered what Sterne was like. I'm thinking of reading a biography of him.