Play Book Tag discussion

Voyager (Outlander, #3)
This topic is about Voyager
Footnotes > Voyager - Questions for the Fans!!!!

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Amy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Amy | 9071 comments Friends, I have questions!!! I wish I could have an actual conversation. I just want to make sure I don't lose understandings I might have missed through audio. But I also don't want too many spoilers for the future books. I am particularly interested in the mystical prophecy stuff, and am afraid I missed some things. Are you guys able to help fill in some blanks without giving away too much more than I am supposed to know right now? Here are my questions, if any of them have parts you can comment on...

Man on the Moor - he talks about ellen mackenzie and the white witch. Cursed gold. She will come for you… I wanted to make sure I understood what he was referring to when it came to Ellen, the parts I am supposed to know. Maybe later we figure out who he was.

Gold was from ancient times, came from the duke of sandrigham to help the Jacobites.
How did Gillis know about this?
How did she come to Jamaica again? Saw her own funeral on the pyre, Dougal helped her? But she came to know about this treasure - how? Her connection to Sandringham?

Frasier prophecy…. Tell me again…..
What is the deal with Ellen Mackenzie Fraser anyway?

Gillis is running white boys - using them for sacrifice? When she comes to find Ian, she feels he is special, eventually comes to learn about Claire and Jamie, knows they are coming for Ian. She likes young boys, but feels he is special…. But why is she running white boys?

What was the legend Claire learns about this particular cave with the worship….

Gillis believes that blood sacrifice is needed as well as the dust of certain gemstones and alchemy - doesn’t understand why or how Claire passed through without those elements. Feels she needs them, and that maybe she and Claire are witches. I don’t know whether Claire mentioned that Brianna and Roger could hear it too. Jamie never could.

Gillis finds out about Brianna and that there are more generations of Frasiers left, through Ian, and seeing Brianna’s photograph. She is going through the cave for her… to maybe install Brianna as a future leader heir to the throne, to bring back the promise of Scottish royalty and leadership? She thinks the Frasier heir can bring back Scottland's dynasty?

What happens in the cave? Claire is pulled towards its humming, almost pulled into it too, thinks she would never survive a fourth trip back. Jamie has to hold her back. What happens to Gillis? Obviously they save Ian. Jamie gets shot. Is Gillis dead? Does she go back in time? They end up with the stones. And the photograph? They got that back, right?

What about Margaret Cambell? Yes her brother turns out to be the stalker slasher in England killing all the girls. She went mad because she lost her Hugh at Colloden, who Archie Cambell mistakes for Jamie. But not just psychotic, she is also is a “wild seer” and that’s why she reacts to Jamie. The mention of him. Not because he was a lover to her, but some kind of prophetic thing. Later on, she is connected with Ishmael and the slaves, as a prophetic seer, while people are drugged out on the wine. Somehow she is reading fortunes for everyone, and when Jamie arrives, comes out with the voice of Brianna, telling them that Jamie should go with Claire (meaning I guess to the cave - possibly through). That she is with them, young voice. Was there other prophecy around that? What else did she see? For Ishmael and the others.

Somehow a connection between Archie and Gillis - what was that about?

Mr. Willoughby - not the murderer, Archie Campbell was, but that gave Willoughby a chance to escape and go on his own merry way. Jamie saved his life a time or two, and he returned the favor a time or two, but he also turns Jamie in to Sir Percival and Tomkins, because he wants his own name and life back? And somehow is angry about the loss of his lineage? That all didn’t hang very well together for me. What were his motivations? Why does he have it in for Jamie too?

How does Leonard/louis Stern the Jewish natural philosopher fit in, and what really was the whole crocodile fire about? Naturally these are Joe Abernathy’s lineage and relatives. What was Ishmael really about?

How do the others, Fergus, Ian, all arrive in America to Georgia? How does Jenny learn her son is somewhat ok? Somehow, Jamie and claire are thrown over the boat and almost die. But everyone else seems to live? They land on the shores of Georgia.

Roger Mackenzie has all these unopened boxes, from his lineage and parents, that I know are going to end up being important. What the hell is in there?

In the stars series, Murtaugh is in Ardsmuir prison, but thats a deviation from the book, right? Jamie thinks he’s dead, although I know enough to know he isn't and he returns later. In the book there is a prisoner Innis, who Jamie cares for, and eventually works in Edinbourough as one of the smugglers, but is also on the boat as one of the helpers.

Lira and Willy - fabulous twists…. On episode 3 or four of the Season 3 from the series - go and fly! Would love to understand this more deeply than I do... Or do i sort of have it for this point in the series......

Doughgirl5562 | 783 comments Amy, Sorry I've been missing in action. I must say that I am very impressed with your questions! I'll answer a few below and we can find a time to chat to discuss the rest. I may have to do a little research first - even through I've probably read this book about five times :-)

Anyone who hasn't read the Outlander series through Voyager and wants to avoid Spoilesr should STOP READING RIGHT NOW because there are spoilers ahead.

Question: Gold was from ancient times, came from the duke of sandrigham to help the Jacobites.
- How did Gillis know about this?
- How did she come to Jamaica again? Saw her own funeral on the pyre, Dougal helped her? But she came to know about this treasure - how? Her connection to Sandringham?

Answer: Sandringham was a double agent. The Jacobites thought that he was on their side, but really he was only out for himself. This treasure was money that had been collected for the Jacobites. Gellis was involved with the Jacobites. Putting a Jacobite on the throne again was her reason for pretty much everything she did. Remember, Gellis managed to siphon 10,000 lbs from her husband for the Jacobite cause. Some of it was also probably from the money collected by Dougal and some from other sources. Sandringham had it converted to old coins to make the treasure "less bulky" and easier to hide.

Another body was burned on the pire as a witch in place of Gellis. Dougal arranged it. And after the birth of her son (and Dougal's), Dougal smuggled Gellis to France. She was actually there at the same time as Jamie and Claire, but under a different name than Gellis. I don't know why she chose to go to Jamaica. Probably married someone and went to Jamaica with him.

Skipping the next questions because the Fraser prophecy is very complicated ….. Note that the show changed this prophecy to the "200 year old baby" prophecy.

Question: What happens in the cave? Claire is pulled towards its humming, almost pulled into it too, thinks she would never survive a fourth trip back. Jamie has to hold her back. What happens to Gillis? Obviously they save Ian. Jamie gets shot. Is Gillis dead? Does she go back in time? They end up with the stones. And the photograph? They got that back, right?

Answer: Claire killed Gellis with the onyx ax. What a mother will do to protect her child. Almost chopped her head off. Remember the skull that Joe Abernathy gave to Claire to hold earlier in the book? That was Gellis' skull. Yes, either Jamie or Ian scooped up the stones and those jewels play a very important role in books to come. They either took the photo back or it burned up. Either way, all of the photos were lost in the storm at the end of the book.

Will answer more later or when we manage to talk :-)