Korean Literature discussion

Book Club > Monthly Book Club Nominations

Comments Showing 1-50 of 57 (57 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Aleksandra (new)

Aleksandra (asamonek) | 97 comments If you'd like to participate in the nominations for our monthly book club, please cast your votes in the spreadsheet and/or add your own proposals:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1R9zpkzQ-pb8-gfCZv2TcCbbWOpcVbe9wXYGmtyzRCFQ/edit#gid=0

message 2: by Henk (new)

Henk | 36 comments I've added a suggestion after struggling a bit with finding out how to add a link ;-)

message 3: by Bill (new)

Bill Johnston | 37 comments I added Waxen Wings edited by Bruce Fulton to the nomination list, because it's shorter and less than half the price of his other anthology.

I'd like to ask for some naming consistency in the nominations. I don't have a good grasp of what a Korean family or personal name is, so I can't tell what order most of these names are in.

message 4: by micha (new)

micha | 4 comments "I don't have a good grasp of what a Korean family or personal name is, so I can't tell what order most of these names are in."

The rule is, like in Mandarin, Cantonese or in Japanese: last name/family name comes first. In most cases: 1 syllable. The given name is normally indicated with a hyphen between the two syllables.
Example: Hong Sang-soo. Hong is the director's family name, Sang-soo ist the given name. Sometimes there is no hyphen, though (but still two syllables), or just one syllable as given name, but these are exceptions.

message 5: by Bill (new)

Bill Johnston | 37 comments Thanks, micha! That was my suspicion, but I didn't know if it was correct.

What about Bae Suah and Han Kang?

message 6: by micha (new)

micha | 4 comments You're welcome. Han and Bae are family names.

message 7: by Aleksandra (new)

Aleksandra (asamonek) | 97 comments We have 8 people who voted so far. Is there anyone who has not voted but is intending to?

As of now, we have "Human Acts" with 5 votes and "One Hundred Shadows", "Waxen Wings" and "Modern Korean Fiction", all with 4 votes.

If no one else is going to vote, perhaps we could start with them? "Modern Korean Fiction" and "Waxen Wings" are anthologies and may be hard to get, so I would rather not start with them in November. This way we can give everyone time to find and read them.

message 8: by Bill (new)

Bill Johnston | 37 comments I suggested "Waxen Wings" as an alternate to "Modern Korean Fiction" because people felt MKF was too large and expensive. There's no need to schedule both for monthly reads.

message 9: by Aleksandra (new)

Aleksandra (asamonek) | 97 comments Bill wrote: "I suggested "Waxen Wings" as an alternate to "Modern Korean Fiction" because people felt MKF was too large and expensive. There's no need to schedule both for monthly reads."

Right, this makes perfect sense. Let's see if someone else would like to vote. Otherwise, how would you all feel about:
Human Acts for November,
One Hundred Shadows for December, and
Waxen Wings for January?

message 10: by Books on Asia (new)

Books on Asia (booksonasia) We're up for anything! Looking forward to reading them all.

message 11: by Carol (new)

Carol (carolfromnc) | 9 comments Aleksandra - sounds good.

message 12: by Aleksandra (new)

Aleksandra (asamonek) | 97 comments I updated the form. I'm so glad we are doing this :)

message 13: by Henk (new)

Henk | 36 comments Nice, I have Human Acts lying around so that's a good start!

message 14: by Aleksandra (new)

Aleksandra (asamonek) | 97 comments Update on 2021 reads:

1) We planned to read "Waxen Wings" in January, but it looks like it is not as easily available in Europe as I thought (I can only get it from a Chicago bookstore and it will take over a month to have it delivered).
Does anyone else have a similar problem? Who among you already has "Waxen Wings"? Perhaps we should pick another, more available book if many of us will need longer for it?

2) Shall we vote for January-June 2021 reads some time soon? And if so, should I clear the voting sheet and/or the existing list of proposals?

message 15: by Books on Asia (new)

Books on Asia (booksonasia) I just received my copy of One Hundred Shadows. I noticed Waxen Wings is available as an ebook, which is most convenient for me. Unfortunately, One Hundred Shadows didn't have that option or I would have had it read by now. Something to consider regarding availability for future titles?

message 16: by Bill (new)

Bill Johnston | 37 comments I haven't bought Waxen Wings yet. I only suggested it because it appeared to be cheaper than the other Korean anthologies I saw for sale.

It's fine by me if you want to change next month's selection. But I would like an anthology soon, so we can sample a variety of authors.

message 17: by Henk (new)

Henk | 36 comments I haven’t receive A Hundred Shadows yet as well

message 18: by Alwynne (last edited Dec 15, 2020 10:34PM) (new)

Alwynne | 55 comments I recently joined and would like to participate in this discussion but am also waiting for my copy of the novel to arrive. Also I wondered if a thread for 'introductions to the group' and one for interesting articles/links/comments on Korean literature that group members are reading/have read/would recommend might be a possibility at some point in the future?

message 19: by micha (new)

micha | 4 comments Added The Disaster Tourist to the list and made some voting adjustments.

message 20: by Henk (new)

Henk | 36 comments I also added some nominations and second Alwynne's suggestions. I also think for more hard to find books it might be handy to build in a bit more time so that people can procure them.

message 21: by Bill (new)

Bill Johnston | 37 comments I suggest people take a look at book availability in their area when a book is nominated, so we can quash the nomination before it gets selected. I'm sure the people nominating books don't know their global availability.

It'll be hard to find books available to everyone in this group, and I expect it'll limit our choices quite a bit.

message 22: by Aleksandra (last edited Dec 16, 2020 07:52AM) (new)

Aleksandra (asamonek) | 97 comments Bill wrote: "I haven't bought Waxen Wings yet. I only suggested it because it appeared to be cheaper than the other Korean anthologies I saw for sale.

It's fine by me if you want to change next month's selecti..."

Perhaps we could push "Waxen Wings" into February (since we picked it already anyway)? By then it will either be delivered, or more of us can buy an ebook version.

I ordered mine a while ago already, but the delivery time estimations got covided during shipping.

message 23: by Alwynne (new)

Alwynne | 55 comments Exactly my problem I'm waiting for books that were posted ages ago but parcels are really slow to arrive here at the moment, for obvious reasons!

message 24: by Aleksandra (new)

Aleksandra (asamonek) | 97 comments Alwynne wrote: "I recently joined and would like to participate in this discussion but am also waiting for my copy of the novel to arrive. Also I wondered if a thread for 'introductions to the group' and one for i..."

Henk wrote: "I also added some nominations and second Alwynne's suggestions. I also think for more hard to find books it might be handy to build in a bit more time so that people can procure them."

Great idea! I added a thread for group introductions here:
General > Say Hello! Group Introductions

As for other topics, Carol and Jeshika started threads which may be what you are looking for:
General > Currently Reading
General > Korean Literature Recommendations
General > News, awards

message 25: by Alwynne (new)

Alwynne | 55 comments Thanks and thanks for the group : )

message 26: by Aleksandra (last edited Dec 16, 2020 09:09AM) (new)

Aleksandra (asamonek) | 97 comments More updates:

1) I removed our past reads from the front sheet. You can find our reading history under "Book Club Reading List" (next to the sheet with nominations).

2) I also added a few more books which are potentially available and which are either classics or were (allegedly) popular in Korea. It would probably make sense to read something by Yi Sang and Yom Sang-seop. I added one work by the latter, but I cannot pick a single book for Yi (all I read were selected works in languages other than English).

3) I started a welcome thread for new members, so that newcomers have a good place to begin. Alwynne (possibly others as well), would you look at it later and tell me if the thread is helpful enough? I probably forgot something important.

General >Welcome to Korean Literature! Start Here

message 27: by Bill (new)

Bill Johnston | 37 comments I finally got a copy of Waxen Wings. Has anyone had any luck?

message 28: by Aleksandra (new)

Aleksandra (asamonek) | 97 comments Bill wrote: "I finally got a copy of Waxen Wings. Has anyone had any luck?"

I am still waiting. This is unbelieveable...

As for the read for January, how would you feel about calling "Kim Jiyoung, Born 1982"? We had 6 votes for it in the form. We could read it before Waxen Wings.

PS. I apologize for being so late with everything this month. Hopefully, it won't happen again.

message 29: by Aleksandra (new)

Aleksandra (asamonek) | 97 comments Update: I attempted an ordering of readings for the next few months (put them in our spreadsheet). Please let me know if I should reshuffle the list. I picked the books with the most votes, but their distribution over the months is random, except the second anthology we picked, which I put last.

message 30: by Jeshika (new)

Jeshika Paperdoll (jeshikapaperdoll) | 30 comments Ooof, sorry! Goodreads stopped updating me for this group and I totally blanked. I'll be trying to join in with a few but I'm on a book buying ban.

message 31: by Books on Asia (new)

Books on Asia (booksonasia) I'm a bit busy this month to read anything but will join in again in Feb.

message 32: by Bill (new)

Bill Johnston | 37 comments I'm going to pass on the January read and just wait for February. My plate is pretty full right now.

message 33: by Alwynne (new)

Alwynne | 55 comments Thanks for sorting all this out Aleksandra, I'm going to skip 'Waxen Wings' I don't do Kindle and paper copies are unavailable except second-hand and so far between 50 and 70 pounds. But will join in this month and then in March.

message 34: by Maria (last edited Jan 12, 2021 07:29AM) (new)

Maria | 5 comments Thanks Aleksandra for organising this, let us know if you need any additional help!

I think I will skip waxen wings as well since it seems to be so difficult to find and will join in March :) Very excited for all the March- June books. They look fab!

message 35: by Henk (new)

Henk | 36 comments Just read Untold Night and Day and wow, thats an unique experience packed in such a slim book. Impressed and looking forward to talk about that one when it is the group read 😊

message 36: by Aleksandra (new)

Aleksandra (asamonek) | 97 comments Maria wrote: "Thanks Aleksandra for organising this, let us know if you need any additional help!

I think I will skip waxen wings as well since it seems to be so difficult to find and will join in March :) Very..."

Oh, thanks, Maria! It's so kind of you! We have a permanent open call for admins in this group if you feel like it! :)

message 37: by Aleksandra (new)

Aleksandra (asamonek) | 97 comments Henk wrote: "Just read Untold Night and Day and wow, thats an unique experience packed in such a slim book. Impressed and looking forward to talk about that one when it is the group read 😊"

I am relived that you liked "Untold Night and Day", because I remember your review of "One Hundred Shadows". After reading it, I started to worry that the reading list in this group may be getting a bit too David Lynch, if you know what I mean. Now I think that perhaps it was not this particular feature that was the problem in Hwang's book...

message 38: by Henk (new)

Henk | 36 comments Yes, really enjoyed it, would like to read more of Bae Suah :-D

message 39: by Aleksandra (last edited Apr 17, 2021 12:14PM) (new)

Aleksandra (asamonek) | 97 comments Hello! I was wondering if it's not too early to start our book club nominations round for the second part of 2021, but given the time it takes to order books nowadays, perhaps a little advance is a good idea?

The form is open, please add your picks and vote:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1R9zpkzQ-pb8-gfCZv2TcCbbWOpcVbe9wXYGmtyzRCFQ/edit#gid=0

message 40: by Aleksandra (new)

Aleksandra (asamonek) | 97 comments Hi everyone! This is the last call to vote for our reads for the next half of this year. Please cast your votes before the end of the week.

I'll list the most popular options here and in the file next week.

message 41: by Aleksandra (new)

Aleksandra (asamonek) | 97 comments Luckily, I was able to complie the list based on the number of votes alone. I placed the most popular first.

Here is the list for the rest of 2021:

July 2021 — The Hole, Hye-Young Pyun
August 2021 — Almond, Wong-pyung Sohn
September 2021 — Seven Years of Darkness, You-Jeong Jeong
October 2021 — At Dusk, Hwang Sok-yong
November 2021 — River of Fire and other stories, Oh Jung-hee
December 2021 — The Impossible Fairytale, Han Yujoo

Would anyone like to make changes to this list? If so, please speak up by the end of next week.

message 42: by Luísa (new)

Luísa (ana_lavado) | 1 comments Aleksandra wrote: "Luckily, I was able to complie the list based on the number of votes alone. I placed the most popular first.

Here is the list for the rest of 2021:

July 2021 — The Hole, Hye-Young Pyun
August 202..."

I'm waiting for "The Hole", "Seven Years of Darkness" and "At Dusk" to arrive hopefully by the end of the month, so the schedule is fine with me.
Thanks!

message 43: by Emily (new)

Emily (zimbrabim) Love in the Big City by Sang Young Park is out in November, it's one of my most anticipated releases but I don't know how suitable it'd be for a group read.

Otherwise, it looks like I should be able to get ahold of most, if not all, of the above list!

message 44: by Books on Asia (new)

Books on Asia (booksonasia) I would love to read The Hole in July.

message 45: by Alwynne (new)

Alwynne | 55 comments Wonder if we could set up a space for buddy reads? Have had someone interested in that, and thought it would be good to have a way to set up a thread for that in the group.

message 46: by Susan (new)

Susan | 1 comments I'm interested!

message 47: by Jeshika (new)

Jeshika Paperdoll (jeshikapaperdoll) | 30 comments Sorry! I've been really absent haha. I've added a Buddy read thread in the General section. If it needs any tweaks let me know. I'll make it a goal to be around more.

message 48: by Alwynne (new)

Alwynne | 55 comments Thanks Jeshika : )

message 49: by Aleksandra (new)

Aleksandra (asamonek) | 97 comments Hello, everyone! It's nominations time! Below you find the link to our voting sheet:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/...

I added a few options for a good start (links are in the sheet):
- Sweet Potato: Collected Short Stories
- Blood Sisters
- To the Warm Horizon
- My Brilliant Life
- Winter in Sokcho
- Love in the Big City

Let's try and find 6 books suitable for 2022 before December 15, maybe? If we don't have enough votes, we'll postpone, of course :)

message 50: by Paul (new)

Paul Fulcher (fulcherkim) | 21 comments I'd be happy with those 6

Winter in Sokcho would be a small departure from books to date, in that it isn't a translation from Korean

« previous 1

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Love in the Big City (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Bae Suah (other topics)