Judy Bolton Fans discussion

The Warning on the Window (Judy Bolton Mysteries, #20)
This topic is about The Warning on the Window
#20: Warning on the Window > Chapter 16: The Warning on the Window - Summary

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

William Land (williamland) | 1280 comments Mod
Chapter 16: Good Advice

Judy comes to with Horace standing over her. She hears Stebbins saying that she should give up the detective work, and Horace agrees. She realizes that she is lying on a canvas to protect the floors from paint and is surrounded by people. Workmen, Stebbins, Roberta, Steve Draycott's wife, and even Arthur are there. She is told that Steve Draycott caught her before she fell all the way down the stairs. One of the workmen exclaims that this was not an accident since the floorboards were not loose earlier. Judy agrees that it was not an accident because of the warning. It turns out that no one else saw the warning. The workmen start murmuring among themselves, and several decide to quit, including Steve Draycott. Horace explains all of the events to Judy and gives her pocketbook which he retrieved from the upstairs bedroom. While upstairs, he did not see the warning, but he did see the loose floorboards. Judy declares she is going to find whoever is behind this and announces that tomorrow she will drive to Westlake. Horace silences her before she can say more, saying that she shouldn't give that information out. On the way home with Judy, Horace points out that Steve Draycott was the first on the scene for Peter's accident as well as this one. He should not have been there because he should have been reporting to the foreman as ordered.

YOU WILL BE NEXT is such a great warning. It is concise, intimidating, and easy to write quickly.

Now, Judy seems to think that her fall was caused by fainting due to fright rather than the loose floorboards. It seems to me that it was primarily the floorboards. What do you think? Is the fainting thrown in to explain why she comes to so quickly and to keep her injury from being as serious Peter's?

When I read this as a child, I remember that this particular chapter seemed improbable to me: that there would be a second window that Steve Draycott could show up in time to catch Judy that the Draycotts would live next door to the house under construction, and that Stebbins, Horace and Roberta would appear so quickly. I guess enough time has passed for all that to happen since we don't know how long she has been lying there. Still, as a child I thought it was too much coincidence.

From the narrative: << ... When I read this as a child, I remember that this particular chapter seemed improbable to me: ... I thought it was too much coincidence.>>

True. Coincidence doesn't place a part in the Judy Bolton books as much as it does in the Nancy Drew series. Judy and Peter solve mysteries mostly through reasoning and hard work; Nancy sometimes through reasoning and frequently by coincidental happenings.

Last week, I re-read the original text of "#11: The Clue of the Broken Locket." Nancy makes assumptions and they are proven true by coincidental events. I don't think had to do any actual detecting in the book!

message 3: by Peter (new)

Peter Clark | 89 comments Bill, I'm sure you will agree with me that coincidence happens at times with the Hardy Boys too.

message 4: by Debra (new) - added it

Debra Fawcett | 49 comments Could cut a few micro-seconds off your time in quickly scribbling the warning by writing "U will B next" instead.

message 5: by Peter (new)

Peter Clark | 89 comments Debra,
That is a great point. Also really funny. I like it!!!

message 6: by Debra (new) - added it

Debra Fawcett | 49 comments Thx! (Not only a time-saver, but could also serve as a red herring--Judy might assume the person who wrote the warning is not well educated, or possibly a tall child/teenager instead of an adult.)

Peter wrote: "Bill, ... coincidence happens at times with the Hardy Boys too.>>

Very true. Most of the Stratemeyer Syndicate series are heavy on coincidences.

Peter wrote: "Debra,
That is a great point. Also really funny. I like it!!!"

Me too! As Debra pointed out in another post in this chapter discussion, it could also work as a red herring.

Rebekah (rebroxanna) | 661 comments I got the impression that Judy thought she fainted while she was falling through the floorboards. She also knocked her head, So to me, it seems a strange conclusion to come to. And not why it matters to her so much.