The Hunger Games (The Hunger Games, #1) The Hunger Games discussion


222 views
Could Rue have potentially survived the Games, had she not made an alliance with Katniss?

Comments Showing 1-31 of 31 (31 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Shadows n Secrecy Rue could survive perfectly fine on the fruits found around the arena since she's got good plant knowledge. And I'm certain she's clever enough to figure out ways to find water if the Gamemakers dry the lakes off - perhaps that thing where you collect water from leaves, or make a spile. She could go very high off ground, much higher than even Katniss could since she's small and light. Katniss was the only reason she came down from the trees - the very reason she died.

No one and I mean no one would be able to kill her after Clove, Mavel and Katniss died. They're the only ones who could use projectile weapons - throwing knives, spears and arrows respectively. The others can only fight close-up - even Cato, with his big sword/knife. The Gamemakers would have to kill all the fruit, wheat and burn down the trees to kill her.

No one can blame Katniss for making the alliance - but she is the very reason Rue died.


message 2: by Kayla (last edited Jan 19, 2015 02:16AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kayla Howarth I doubt she would've been able to outrun the mutts, and even if she out-climbed them by staying up a tree, the gamemakers could've easily set a fire like they did to get Katniss out of the trees and to the stream where they wanted her to be.
You have to remember that if there isn't a death for a few days, they change up the game to bring tributes closer together.
I think the only way Rue would've won was if the final two (say Katniss and Cato - if the whole 'two can win' rule wasn't applied,meaning Peeta would've died while he was camouflaged) had attacked each other and both died (like Haymitch nearly did in his games- there was almost no victor that year because he almost died trying to kill the last tribute left.)


message 3: by Shadows (last edited Jan 19, 2015 02:28AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Shadows n Secrecy Mutts are too heavyweight to get as high as Rue. I reckon the Gamemakers would have to burn down all the trees to force her onto the ground and get her killed.

The Gamemakers wouldn't target Rue anyway. From a bloodthirsty Capitol citizen's point of view, watching a 12-years-old get killed 2 seconds in is nowhere as fun as watching two experienced killers tear into each other. Watching a 12-years-old innocent little girl get killed by an experienced killer would have upset the ones who weren't so bloodthirsty.

It did work for Annie. She went insane and hid. Made no kills. Won because there was a survival skill that the killers didn't know.


AgCl the hunger games is symbolic of the capitol's power. Its not so much about who wins, but rather about keeping the districts in check making sure no rebel plans are currently brewing. i don't think the gamemakers and especially Snow would've liked anyone and a little girl at that, win, just because she could climb trees. It would be too easy and it might be interpreted by the district people as a sign of weakness. So she would've been taken care of whether or not she teamed up with katniss.


Patootie I doubt.
What's interesting is what Katniss would do if only Katniss, Peeta and Rue stayed alive in the end. Would they share those berries among three of them?


Ellie Lantos I think that she is a strong player in the game. Sure, she might not be able to out run the mutts but she could find a way to get out of their way. I don't know how long she would survive but I think that she could without Katniss.


Dramapuppy Well, assuming the two players rule was still made, wouldn't she have later teamed up with Thresh? Then she might have made it to final two with him. However, he easily could have killed her at the end.


Shadows n Secrecy AgCl wrote: "i don't think the gamemakers and especially Snow would've liked anyone and a little girl at that, win, just because she could climb trees. It would be too easy and it might be interpreted by the district people as a sign of weakness. "

Couldn't you say the same of Annie? An insane teenager who won just because she could swim? The Morphlings? Who won just because they hid themselves from the fight?


Shadows n Secrecy Dramapuppy wrote: "Well, assuming the two players rule was still made, wouldn't she have later teamed up with Thresh? Then she might have made it to final two with him. However, he easily could have killed her at the..."

Thresh has a strong sense of honour - and debt. Thresh was touched that Katniss took care of Rue and tried to protect her from the other tributes and felt that he owed her - even though Katniss didn't save Rue. He spared Katniss' life and told her to run as Cato would be there soon, as he had heard Clove's screams before she died. Thresh also took Cato's backpack, as it would force Cato to chase him instead of Katniss, allowing her to escape. This act may have resulted in Thresh's death. He risked his life for Rue's ally - would he kill Rue herself?


message 10: by Shadows (last edited Jan 20, 2015 07:17PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Shadows n Secrecy Patootie wrote: "I doubt.
What's interesting is what Katniss would do if only Katniss, Peeta and Rue stayed alive in the end. Would they share those berries among three of them?"


I guess there's four possibilities:

1) Katniss and Peeta suicide because Rue deserves to go home.

2) Rue either suicides or get given a quick death - because that's the only way two can survive (assuming the two-can-win rule is still there)

3) There's no way they'd live with themselves if they go home knowing they survived as a direct result of the other's death. Decide to suicide together - the Gamemakers can decide whether to have three victors, or no victor.

4) They all understand someone has to die for one (or two) to get back. They live together peacefully for as long as they can - so two (or one) can have peaceful last days. Let the Gamemakers use the arena to kill two (or one)of them so no one has to decide who lives and who dies.


Patootie Shadows wrote: "Patootie wrote: "I doubt.
What's interesting is what Katniss would do if only Katniss, Peeta and Rue stayed alive in the end. Would they share those berries among three of them?"

I guess there's f..."


Yeah, I think the fourth variant is the most likely to be. Thanks for Your answer))


Dramapuppy Shadows wrote: "Dramapuppy wrote: "Well, assuming the two players rule was still made, wouldn't she have later teamed up with Thresh? Then she might have made it to final two with him. However, he easily could hav..."

Good point. So maybe Rue could have won.


Devon Morgan She would definitely survive for a while, but I'm sure the game makers would make sure that she gets out of the tree and faces her enemies somehow, and I'm sure combat isn't her strength. If the game makers didn't meddle with how the fights were going down. she would definitely win.


Dramapuppy Thresh could definitely help her with the combat, though.


Shadows n Secrecy What would be very interesting, is what would happen if Foxface and Rue were the final two. They're both survivors, not killers.

No trees? Neither of them can kill, trees or open ground.

Fireballs? They're both very nimble - they can dodge.

I think in this case, Rue would have the advantage. Because she knows exactly what she's eating, what she's surviving on. Foxface only eats what she thinks others will be eating.

Though I still think the Gamemakers are going to either flood the arena or unleash the mutts with them both on open ground. What do you guys think?


Dramapuppy Yeah, they probably would. But Rue is probably faster than Foxface, so she would still have the advantage. I love Foxface, though. I honestly wish she'd won instead of Katniss.


message 17: by Olivia (new) - added it

Olivia Dramapuppy wrote: "Yeah, they probably would. But Rue is probably faster than Foxface, so she would still have the advantage. I love Foxface, though. I honestly wish she'd won instead of Katniss."

that would be interesting, but i was glad that Katniss won instead of foxface.


Fef (hatius hatius) Peixes foxface or rue would've won.


Creaturecare8 Shadows wrote: "Rue could survive perfectly fine on the fruits found around the arena since she's got good plant knowledge. And I'm certain she's clever enough to figure out ways to find water if the Gamemakers dr..."

I must agree! There are so many resourcess that Rue knows about, other than Katniss. Even though making an alliance would've seen helpful, they didnt see each other in the arena until Rue rescued Katniss. It was a worthless alliance and Rue died because of their alliance. Rue was my favorite charatcer, and knowing tnat Katniss's alliance with Rue killed her really ripped me apart.


Fef (hatius hatius) Peixes Creaturecare8 wrote: "Shadows wrote: "Rue could survive perfectly fine on the fruits found around the arena since she's got good plant knowledge. And I'm certain she's clever enough to figure out ways to find water if t..."

i know right.


Storm Well its hard to say, I mean the mutts would have ran too fast although see could climb a tree the game makers would have found a way to get her down or kill her up there.


Shadows n Secrecy Creaturecare8 wrote: "I must agree! There are so many resourcess that Rue knows about, other than Katniss. Even though making an alliance would've seen helpful, they didnt see each other in the arena until..."

Well said.


message 23: by Olivia (new) - added it

Olivia Amela wrote: "Gracie wrote: "Dramapuppy wrote: "Well, assuming the two players rule was still made, wouldn't she have later teamed up with Thresh? Then she might have made it to final two with him. However, he e..."

i agree there. here is a question for anyone. when rue died what did everyone thinks about it?


Dramapuppy Olivia wrote: "Amela wrote: "Gracie wrote: "Dramapuppy wrote: "Well, assuming the two players rule was still made, wouldn't she have later teamed up with Thresh? Then she might have made it to final two with him...."

Yeah, I agree with Amela that Foxface was better, but then, I thought Foxface was better than Katniss, so...

I was pretty sad. I mean, it was just the final kick in the face for Katniss. Like, "Oh, look. You made your first girl-friend! She's dead now." And Collins purposefully crafted her to make her death hurt. I mean, she's TWELVE. Her character's purpose was partially to make the Games look REALLY bad.


Shadows n Secrecy Dramapuppy wrote: "Yeah, I agree with Amela that Foxface was better, but then, I thought Foxface was better than Katniss, so...I was pretty sad. I mean, it was just the final kick in the face for Katniss. Like, "Oh, look..."

I agree. Suzanne Collins seems to have a rule of 'show-not-tell.' Her ways of characterisation and setting were mainly indirect - for example, instead of saying 'Hunger Games was bad and cruel and unfair', she showed us. A 17/18-years-old Career tribute caught a 12-years-old little girl in a net and speared her in the stomach. Knowing this happened every year for seventy-four years and possibly in years to come. I think that really hit home.


Dramapuppy Shadows wrote: "Dramapuppy wrote: "Yeah, I agree with Amela that Foxface was better, but then, I thought Foxface was better than Katniss, so...I was pretty sad. I mean, it was just the final kick in the face for K..."

Exactly.


message 27: by Lalo1231 (last edited Oct 13, 2017 04:09PM) (new)

Lalo1231 The district 3 male would still be alive if they never destroyed the supplies, but he probably wouldn't affect the outcome that much, he had very low odds, 1/22. But, just saying


Eldri I'm not so sure.For my opinion she would'nt win.Of course she was very good at surviving and hiding and very smart but she was'nt that strong in fighting.But one thing is for sure if she would'nt made that alliance she wolud go in the third or fourth place.


message 29: by Jane (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jane I think she would've died eventually. when it comes down to it she would've had to kill someone and I don't know if she's up to that.


Morgan I don't think she could have won. If she had gotten to the part when she had to grab the backpack I think someone would have killed her (probably Clove)


Laura Machi I think she would have survived a long time, and she could have been one of the finalist, but she would never win. It is sad but true/


back to top