AMERICAN HISTORICAL NOVELS discussion

The House by the Lake
This topic is about The House by the Lake
The House by the Lake > Interview with the Author

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jess (new)

Jess Woods | 109 comments Mod
Hello Ella, & thank you for hosting this week! What inspired you to write THE HOUSE BY THE LAKE?

Ella: The book was inspired by a trip to Germany, and a tour of the former East Germany. I found myself asking, how could someone have possibly become a Nazi, and what were the effects of this on the future generations of their family. I then learned of a friend’s family who were forced to leave behind their beautiful old palace just out of Berlin on the eve of the Soviet invasion of Germany in 1946. I will tell you more during the week!

Rebecca: Can you give us insight into your writing process?

Ella: I do a huge amount of character work and historical research first, along with a great deal of story planning, and then I write the first draft. After that, my books go through many, many drafts before the final edition.

Rebecca: When did you know you wanted to be a writer?

Ella: I knew when I was about twenty years old. But I’ve always written, always made up stories.

Rebecca: What appeals to you most about your chosen genre?

Ella: I love the opportunity to travel back to the past! It is almost magical to be able to step back in time and imagine what it must have been like before we were born. I am also fascinated by history in general. I have a degree in History, as well as in English literature and music.

Rebecca: What do you like to do when you aren't writing?

Ella: Usually, I love to travel, go to the theater, read and visit galleries. At the moment, I am reading, walking, and doing Pilates!

Rebecca: Lastly, will you have more projects in the future?

Ella: Yes, I have a new trilogy of historical fiction novels releasing next year, the first one in March, and the following two later in 2021.

message 2: by Rhonda (new)

Rhonda (grannylovestoread) | 132 comments Awesome!

Amanda (drpowell) | 376 comments Your guiding question is a fascinating topic. Along the same line I have long been interested in the bystanders who watched the rise of Naziism and the Holocaust and did nothing. Where does culpability begin and end I wonder?

message 4: by Ella (new)

Ella Carey | 24 comments Amanda wrote: "Your guiding question is a fascinating topic. Along the same line I have long been interested in the bystanders who watched the rise of Naziism and the Holocaust and did nothing. Where does culpabi..."

Yes, Amanda. I know. It's such a tricky topic, and heartbreaking. xx