Around the Year in 52 Books discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archives > [2021] Poll 18 Suggestions

Comments Showing 1-42 of 42 (42 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Bryony, Circumnavigation Mod (last edited Oct 11, 2020 06:39AM) (new)

Bryony (bryony46) | 1081 comments Mod
It's time for our next round of suggestions! We have 5 spaces left on the 2021 list so this is likely to be one of the last polls for this year.

Just a reminder that you can find a full list of prompts already on the 2021 list in the third post on this thread.

A little reminder of how things are done around here:

How it works:
- The topics for the 2020 reading challenge list will be determined by a series of mini-polls, the number of which depends on the number of prompts winning in each mini-polls
- Suggestions for each poll will be opened until 15 suggestions are received and “seconded”.
- The voting thread will open the day after suggestions go live. You can find the schedule here.
- The poll will be posted after the voting thread is opened for 24 hours, and will remain open for three full days.
- Each user has 8 votes to spread between their favorite (top) and least favorite (bottom) prompts
- The prompts with the more favorable votes (comparing top votes to bottom votes, and looking at the overall number of votes it received) will be added to the final list (between 2 and 5 depending on how the votes are spread)

Rules:
- Each member can only suggest OR second one prompt
- Suggestions close after 15 total seconded prompts

When suggesting and seconding, feel free to provide examples and descriptions that may help other members understand the prompt better. These descriptions and examples will be copied over to the voting thread for further discussion.

As always, please express any and all feedback (respectfully, of course), either here or in the wild discussion

Moving on to Voting:
1. A book featuring a theme of women overcoming systemic obstacles
2. A book with a fat-positive perspective
3. A book set in a time or place that you don't know much about
4. A book that first appeared in episodic format
5. A book by an author who's career spanned more than 21 years
6. A book you associate with a specific season or time of year
7. A book related to the 2020 or 2021 Pantone Color of the Year
8. A book related to the Year of the Ox
9. A book for which you are (or were) not the intended demographic/audience
10. A book that elicits humor, comedy, or satire
11. A love story
12. A book that is disturbing
13. A time travel novel
14. A book that takes place in at least two decades
15. A book related to the area you grew up in.

Available to be seconded:
- The next book on a list you are trying to read that isn't the first or the last on that list
- A book with a person on the cover wearing something you would love to wear

message 2: by Alicia (last edited Oct 10, 2020 10:17PM) (new)

Alicia Luchetti | 738 comments A book featuring a theme of women overcoming systemic obstacles

This could be a non-fiction about the Suffrage Movement and women succeeding in gaining the right to vote, domestic thrillers like The Last Mrs. Parrish, The Southern Book Club's Guide to Slaying Vampires about how men disregarded women's opinions in the south in the 90s, I Am Malala: The Story of the Girl Who Stood Up for Education and Was Shot by the Taliban that shouldn't have even been able to get an education, let alone write a book.

message 3: by Martha (new)

Martha (marthag503) | 293 comments The next book on a list you are trying to read that isn't the first or the last on that list.

This could be the next book in a series you've been trying to work on, an author's work you have wanted to read, a book on a shelf you have designated about a particular subject you've wanted to explore, among other possibilities.

message 4: by Lizzy (new)

Lizzy | 734 comments I’ll second women overcoming obstacles.

message 5: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn | 563 comments I thought I'd give the fat-positivity idea another go, with a slight twist to the wording.

A book with a fat-positive perspective.

This was suggested last poll, and I've found some extra listopias that may have some different ideas on them:
Fat-Friendly Fiction For Curvy Women
#Fat
Plus-Size Positivity
New Adult and Young Adult Books Starring a Plus-Size Heroine
Fat-Positive Fiction
Fat Acceptance and Fat Activism
Body Positive Badass Books to Change Your World

message 6: by Serendipity (new)

Serendipity | 441 comments I’ll second the book with a fat-positive perspective.

message 7: by Maggie (last edited Oct 10, 2020 11:02PM) (new)

Maggie | 64 comments I'd like to suggest:
A book set in a time or place that you don't know much about

This could be a country or a certain place within the country you're not familiar with, or an era you don't know much about. Closely related to it would be the idea of a culture different from your own that you are not familiar with.

message 8: by Margaret (last edited Oct 10, 2020 11:36PM) (new)

Margaret Kelly | 16 comments I'd like to nominate "A book with a person on the cover wearing something you would love to wear"

message 9: by Traci (new)

Traci (tracibartz) | 1016 comments I'll second set in a time or place you don't know much about.

message 10: by Joyce (last edited Oct 11, 2020 12:53AM) (new)

Joyce | 359 comments I would like to suggest a book that first appeared in episodic format. This includes lots of classics such as Dickens and Middlemarch but also modern books such as Bridget Jones's Diary and Tales of the City or, more recently still, Roddy Doyle’s Charlie Savage or Raymond Briggs’ Notes From the Sofa. There’s plenty of non-fiction too.

There must be lots of lists out there. Here are 30+ novels with a bit of history: https://booksonthewall.com/blog/seria...

message 11: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 64 comments A book you associate with a specific season or time of year.

Examples:

A book set at school (fall)
A horror book (Halloween)
A book about a wedding (spring, wedding season)
A page-turning thriller or lighthearted romance (summer beach reads)

message 12: by Hilde (new)

Hilde (hilded) | 792 comments I’ll second the ‘first appeared in serial format’, seems like a good prompt to pick up an old classic.

message 13: by Kat (new)

Kat | 301 comments A book by an author who's career spanned more than 21 years.

message 14: by Nadja (last edited Oct 11, 2020 12:44AM) (new)

Nadja | 214 comments I like to resuggest a previous prompt of mine. I decided to widen the prompt because we have already a monochromic cover prompt and with the inclusion of the year 2020, planners can use the year 2020 if wished.

"A book related to the 2020 or 2021 Pantone Color of the Year"

2020: Classic Blue

2020 Classic Blue: Blue on the cover/title, a classic, a book which deals with depression, the ocean..

https://www.goodreads.com/list/show/2... (Blue on the cover)
https://www.goodreads.com/genres/clas... (Classics)

message 15: by Inger (new)

Inger Holthe | 12 comments I second "A book by an author who's career spanned more than 21 years".

message 16: by Erin (new)

Erin Perry Willis | 34 comments I second "A book you associate with a specific season or time of year"

message 17: by Robin P, Orbicular Mod (new)

Robin P | 1930 comments Mod
Kat wrote: "A book by an author who's career spanned more than 21 years."

I hope this doesn't sound picky but it should be "whose career", not "who's career"

message 18: by Thomas (new)

Thomas | 678 comments A book that takes place in at least two decades. Either a saga spanning that length of time or a book that cuts between two time periods.

message 19: by Irene (new)

Irene (eyereeen) | 451 comments Since this might be the last poll, I'd like to resubmit one of my past suggestions! (Will not be offended if no one seconds it, just thought I'd give it a shot!)

A book for which you are (or were) not the intended demographic/audience

Examples:
- A book published before you were born (or before you were of an appropriate age, such as adult books published when you were a child)
- A book published originally in another language or country
- Reading middle grade if you are an adult, YA if you're past your 20s, chick lit if you don’t identify as a “chick,” etc.
- Nonfiction books that are targeted at a specific audience you don't fit into, especially self-help/advice books (As a kid, I used to read a lot of horse care books despite never coming within a mile of one. Presumably the intended audience was horse-owners, not little kids!)

message 20: by Irene (new)

Irene (eyereeen) | 451 comments (And I love the season prompt!! It's unique and neither too broad nor too specific)

message 21: by Kristina (new)

Kristina | 245 comments I’ll suggest: A book related to the Year of the Ox

(Which starts Feb 12 2021- Jan 31, 2022)

message 22: by [deleted user] (new)

"A book related to the 2020 or 2021 Pantone Color of the Year"

i'll second this one

message 23: by Anthony (new)

Anthony | 107 comments I'll second the year of the Ox suggestion.

message 24: by Irene (new)

Irene (eyereeen) | 451 comments Kristina wrote: "I’ll suggest: A book related to the Year of the Ox

(Which starts Feb 12 2021- Jan 31, 2022)"

Thank you, I was actually torn between this one and my other suggestion! Hopefully the broader wording will help it do better this time.

message 25: by Bryony, Circumnavigation Mod (new)

Update: 7 spaces left

message 26: by Conny (new)

Conny | 367 comments Irene wrote: "Since this might be the last poll, I'd like to resubmit one of my past suggestions! (Will not be offended if no one seconds it, just thought I'd give it a shot!)

A book for which you are (or were) not the intended demographic/audience"

Seconding this one!

message 27: by Avery (new)

Avery (averyapproved) | 472 comments A book that elicits humor, comedy, or satire

People can read the blurb or find a book on a list that claims to be funny, or that they think will be funny/satire. But this wording doesn’t require you to read the book first. And you don’t have to agree with it’s funny factor if you think it flopped in the funny department. But it could also just work for any book you read and decided was funny after the fact. Satire thrown in to broaden the options.

message 28: by Johanne (new)

Johanne *the biblionaut* | 1646 comments I'll second a book that elicits humour etc.

I've recently started reading Terry Pratchett, and it's wonderfully funny and satirical and just what I need at this time.

message 29: by Bryony, Circumnavigation Mod (new)

5 spaces left

message 30: by Joan (new)

Joan Barnett | 1617 comments I'd like to suggest:

A book related to the area you grew up in.

For example I grew up in a chester county outside of Philadelphia. The author of The Fox and The Hound lived there and the book was set there. Or I could read a book set in Philadelphia or about Philadelphia. For instance The Silver Linings Playbook was set in Philadelphia. Or I could read a book about a sports team in Philadelphia or maybe something about my state of Pennsylvania.

It could be something that reminds you of the place you grew up in. You could be as broad or as specific as you want to be with it.

I don't know why but my book tag wasn't working this morning.

message 31: by Katie (new)

Katie | 2364 comments A love story

message 32: by Nadine in NY (new)

Nadine in NY Jones | 1354 comments Katie wrote: "A love story"

I'll second "love story"

message 33: by Katie (last edited Oct 11, 2020 06:16AM) (new)

Katie | 2364 comments Some suggestions for love story:

I phrased this specifically as love story, not romance novel. Though of course romance novel could work, there are many types of love stories, like stories about familial love or the power of friendship, and love stories that fall outside of the genre. Here are a few lists:

https://www.bustle.com/articles/17927...
https://www.sarahsbookshelves.com/12-...
https://www.flavorwire.com/477073/50-...

message 34: by Sophie (new)

Sophie (soapsuds) | 153 comments I’ll try this one again with more examples, given it’s October:

A book that is disturbing

Examples:
- horror [e.g., Stephen King)
- dystopia (e.g., Handmaid’s Tale, 1984)
- psychologically disturbing ( A clockwork’s orange)
- Serial killers, nonfiction(Helter Skelter) or fiction (You)
- holocaust (Sophie’s Choice)
- scary politicians or corruption in politics/dictatorships, fiction (Dead Zone) or nonfiction (Bob Woodward’s books, David Frum’s books)
- War
- Plagues
- Abuse
- Addiction
- Oppression/discrimination
- Slavery

https://www.goodreads.com/list/show/2...

message 35: by Kathy (new)

Kathy | 2344 comments A time travel novel

message 36: by Chrissy (new)

Chrissy | 859 comments I’ll second a disturbing book, I think it makes a nice pair with a comfort read from a couple polls back.

message 37: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 187 comments I'll second a book thats disturbing

message 38: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 187 comments or ill second a time travel novel!

message 39: by Thomas (new)

Thomas | 678 comments Could disturbing also include psychological thriller?

message 40: by Steph (new)

Steph | 6 comments I'll second a book that takes place in at least two decades!

message 41: by Bryony, Circumnavigation Mod (new)

Joan wrote: "I'd like to suggest:

A book related to the area you grew up in.

For example I grew up in a chester county outside of Philadelphia. The author of The Fox and The Hound lived there and the book was..."

I’ll second this one.

message 42: by Bryony, Circumnavigation Mod (new)

That’s 15 suggestions, thanks everyone! Voting thread will be up later today.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.