What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

UNSOLVED: One specific book > YA Historical fiction, Time Travel - A modern-day teen girl wakes up to find herself in colonial times. She has to fit in and figure out how to cook and do chores

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rachel (new)

Rachel (rdeerr) | 8 comments I read the book in the 1980s or 90s (can't quite remember when). A modern-day girl wakes up to find herself in colonial times. She has to fit in and figure out how to cook and do chores. At first she does a terrible job and is yelled at for peeling too much off the potatoes and I think she ruins some corn pudding or something. There is probably a girl whose place she is taking, that is in her place in her time. I don't remember how it ends or what it is called or who wrote it. I would like to read it again if anyone can help me find it. Thanks!

message 3: by Rachel (new)

Rachel (rdeerr) | 8 comments Thank you, Rainbowheart. I looked up each of your suggestions and I'm not sure it's any of those. It is definitely not The Magic Tunnel. It is possible that Freedom to Dream could be it, but the description doesn't feel familiar. Likewise with Another Shore. Freedom to Dream seems more possible. I would like to read both to see if either is the one I read previously.

My library doesn't have either of the books, unfortunately, but I did find inexpensive copies online for purchase, so I got them. If either is the right one, I will let you know. Thanks!

If anyone else has any suggestions I would love to hear them. :)

message 4: by Rainbowheart (new)

Rainbowheart | 19683 comments Fingers crossed!

Are you pretty positive it was set in colonial times? There are lots of other kids' time travel books, but they mostly involve later time periods.

message 5: by Ky (new)

Ky | 141 comments What about The Girl Who Slipped Through Time? It was published in 1978, and I read it myself sometime in the 1980s. It's set in the 1930s though and the girl's from the future, relative to the 1970s, so it might not be the book.

message 6: by Rachel (new)

Rachel (rdeerr) | 8 comments Thanks, Ky. I don't think that's the one, but it sounds interesting.

Rainbowheart: I'm pretty sure it was about American pilgrims, but it is possible that I am mixing it in mind with Constance, another that I read around the same time that is definitely about the Pilgrims, but not about time travel. But I'm reasonably certain that it was the same time period.

message 7: by Rainbowheart (new)

Rainbowheart | 19683 comments Kinda also reminds me of The Root Cellar, but that's a later time period.

Might want to check the Timeslip in Children's Fiction list, too.

message 8: by Rachel (new)

Rachel (rdeerr) | 8 comments I have now read Another Shore & Freedom to Dream. It is neither of those. I will look at the books in the Timeslip fiction list mentioned above as well. Perhaps one of those is it.
Thanks.

message 9: by Rachel (new)

Rachel (rdeerr) | 8 comments Nope. None of the books on that list are it either. Mystery still unsolved. Any other suggestions?
Thanks! :)

message 11: by Rachel (new)

Rachel (rdeerr) | 8 comments No, it was just one girl. A teen I think but she might have been younger. Thank you so much for continuing to keep this in mind! That is so kind of you!! :)

message 12: by Rainbowheart (new)

Rainbowheart | 19683 comments No prob, I hope we can track it down. I'll keep looking!

message 15: by bookel (new)

bookel | 2370 comments Any of these?
Time travel, historical fiction. https://www.librarything.com/list/573...#