Graphic Novel Reading Group discussion

Non-superhero GNs/Comic Books > Hi all, Can someone recommend me Graphic Novels like Blankets, Asterio polyp which are pretty big in size?

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jagadeesh KV (new)

Jagadeesh KV | 2 comments Hi, I like graphic novels which are just about people and the subtle things in lives (no super powers or grand extraordinary events). I've read Blankets,Asterio polyp and Bottomless Bellybutton and enjoyed them. Can some one suggest books like there which are pretty big in size.

message 2: by Dominick (new)

Dominick (dominickgrace) | 168 comments Alan Moore's and Eddie Campbell's From Hell is a good one. David B's Epileptic is also fairly substantial in size, IIRC. Craig Thompson's follow-up to Blankets, Habibi, is comparably chubby.

message 3: by Philip (new)

Philip Cosand (philipcosand) I was also going to mention Habibi.

Of course, there is Jimmy Corrigan, by Chris Ware (not a favorite of mine, but quite critically acclaimed).

Persepolis by Marjane Satrapi is pretty great.

You'd probably like any of Harvey Pekar's stuff.

And while not quite "epic" in length, it's hard to go wrong with the master, Will Eisner. A Contract with God, Droopsie Avenue; these are fantastic books about normal people.

The Lion's Share A contract with God trilogy
Maus
Daytripper
The fade out

message 5: by Norman (new)

Norman (normankim) | 7 comments Essex County Trilogy by Jeff Lemire
Fun Home by Alison Bechdel
Paying For It by Chester Brown

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

Anything by Chris Ware or Charles Burns.

message 8: by Trike (new)

Trike | 112 comments Box Office Poison by Alex Robinson Box Office Poison is right in this wheelhouse. It's about ordinary people, it's big and it's good.

message 9: by Greta G (new)

Greta G | 4 comments Hi, I collect this genre for a while now. You can check my shelves. Have fun.

message 11: by Laverne (new)

Laverne M I love a well written crafted literary story with indie art too.
Always check your local library...

Chris Ware: Building Stories
How I made it to 18
Daytripper- Ba
The Alcoholic
Lynda Barry- one hundred demons
Stitches
Jeff Lemire: Sweet Tooth, Underwater Welder
Terry Moore: Echo, Rachel Rising
Alan Moore: all
G Willow Wilson: Air
Marbles

A lot of out Image Comics- The Wicked and The Divine, etc

Brian Wood: DMZ, Local, Demo
Brian K. Vaughn: Pride of Baghdad, Y the last man

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

I add Fun Home: A Family Tragicomic, This One Summer, Skim, Wish You Were Here No. 1: The Innocents (and 2), Pyongyang: A Journey in North Korea and even if it's not so big in size Anya's Ghost.
And if you're interested in fights for freedom and civil rights I highly recommend March: Book One (and 2).
I also eyed Swallow Me Whole but haven't read it yet.

message 13: by William (new)

William Wright | 3 comments The Drifting Life by Yoshihiro Tatsumi is 800 plus pages about him growing up as a boy drawing and eventually entering the manga industry, but includes other events in his life: http://www.amazon.com/Drifting-Life-Y...

Maus by art spiegehttp://www.amazon.com/Complete-Maus-2... WWII tale:

Paying For It by Chester Brown is about his experiences with prostitutes: http://www.amazon.com/Paying-Chester-...