The Midnight Readers discussion

✧ Personal Book Nooks > Maryam's Nook

Comments Showing 1-50 of 50 (50 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Maryam (new)

Maryam  (maryamhisham) | 199 comments Hi guys! I suppose I'll be posting about my reading progress and anything random.

message 2: by Maryam (new)

Maryam  (maryamhisham) | 199 comments It's so boring out here... It's been a week since I got holidays. But I am missing school already. Not studies. lol. But friends..

message 3: by Maryam (new)

Maryam  (maryamhisham) | 199 comments Hi! How's everyone doing today? What are you currently reading? Any recommendations?

message 4: by Sofia, Bookish Duck (new)

Sofia (sofloaf) | 5001 comments The Priory of the Orange Tree is perfection

message 5: by Maryam (new)

Maryam  (maryamhisham) | 199 comments Thanks! I'll check that out.

message 6: by amia (new)

amia (makevocaloidgreatagain) i have lots of recs. what’s your favorite genre?

message 7: by Maryam (new)

Maryam  (maryamhisham) | 199 comments Anything nice would be okay!

message 8: by Maryam (new)

Maryam  (maryamhisham) | 199 comments YA, fantasy or dystopian

Random Pineapple (certifiedkilljoy) | 16223 comments Six of Crows

message 10: by Random Pineapple (new)

Random Pineapple (certifiedkilljoy) | 16223 comments Throne of Glass

message 11: by Maryam (new)

Maryam  (maryamhisham) | 199 comments Yeah, I'll be reading these as soon as possible! I've heard so much about them. Thanks @SJM Trash!!!

message 12: by Maryam (new)

Maryam  (maryamhisham) | 199 comments I'm so excited!! I just started reading Invisible Life of Addie LaRue. The hype is so strong with this book, so I had to start this one ASAP!!

message 13: by Bumble (new)

Bumble Greenbriar (hernameiscrumpet) | 971 comments I really didn’t like it. it was so polarising though - you love it or you hate it

message 14: by Maryam (new)

Maryam  (maryamhisham) | 199 comments Bumble wrote: "I really didn’t like it. it was so polarising though - you love it or you hate it"

I'm curious about where I'll fall. It's hard to get into the story. I am trying to get used to the writing style!!

message 15: by Maryam (new)

Maryam  (maryamhisham) | 199 comments I just knew this!! Do you guys really get to use calculators for half of your maths exam? And, you get the reference for things like finding the area of a circle, etc?

message 16: by Bumble (new)

Bumble Greenbriar (hernameiscrumpet) | 971 comments don’t know who you’re talking to but here in jolly old england we’re barely ever allowed calculators

message 17: by Maryam (new)

Maryam  (maryamhisham) | 199 comments Bumble wrote: "don’t know who you’re talking to but here in jolly old England we’re barely ever allowed calculators"

Not in England. I think in the US, they do.

message 18: by Willow Anne (new)

Willow Anne | 988 comments I live in US and we were allowed calculators for tests when i was in school. But not in middle school, just high school. And its mainly bc you need it for doing things like sin, cos, tan, graphing and stuff like that thats literally impossible to do in your head lol

message 19: by Maryam (new)

Maryam  (maryamhisham) | 199 comments Willow Anne wrote: "I live in US and we were allowed calculators for tests when i was in school. But not in middle school, just high school. And its mainly bc you need it for doing things like sin, cos, tan, graphing ..."

But, here we can't use calculator for even things like that. So, it's easy to make a mistake in the exam. High school or middle school, no difference. We have do everything without calculators.

message 20: by Haleema (new)

Haleema Q Bumble wrote: "don’t know who you’re talking to but here in jolly old england we’re barely ever allowed calculators"

lol so true tho..And Maryam, we do have references sometimes but hardly ever.. i Also think it kinda depends on which year you're in eg. younger years will probably have more references in comparison to older years

message 21: by Haleema (new)

Haleema Q And calculators are allowed mostly for like trigonometry and things like that

message 22: by Maryam (new)

Maryam  (maryamhisham) | 199 comments Haleema wrote: "And calculators are allowed mostly for like trigonometry and things like that"

We can't use calculator anywhere in maths. :(

message 23: by Maryam (new)

Maryam  (maryamhisham) | 199 comments And the maths paper in highschool! The exam is 5 hours long.

message 24: by Maryam (new)

Maryam  (maryamhisham) | 199 comments So, do you get the idea how long the paper is? I really get tired of sitting there for hours.

message 25: by Willow Anne (new)

Willow Anne | 988 comments Woah, really? Yikes, we used calculators all through calculus ab and bc, i can't even imagine doing that stuff in your head!😬 You guys are good!😎

message 26: by Khadija (new)

Khadija (mr_loverman) | 50 comments Calculators are allowed in Canada too but my mom wants me to do it in my head cuz that's how she does it

message 27: by Willow Anne (new)

Willow Anne | 988 comments Niiiiice 🤦😂

message 28: by Maryam (new)

Maryam  (maryamhisham) | 199 comments I am waiting for my history zoom class to start. Still no sign of the teacher, so I thought I'll just pop into Goodreads.

message 29: by Filippa (new)

Filippa  (filippaaa) | -10 comments well that’s nice

The screaming barney | 170 comments HI FRIENDS
DO YOU KNOW WHAT TIME IT IS

The screaming barney | 170 comments ITS MUFFINS TIME

message 32: by eli ♡ (new)

eli ♡  | 2765 comments oooooooooh yay

where the muffins at?

message 33: by Maryam (new)

Maryam  (maryamhisham) | 199 comments Anyone who thinks hijab oppresses Muslim women? Take a few minutes to read this. https://www.goodreads.com/story/show/...

iamaunicornwithyellowfeet (bookobsessedblob) | 4091 comments Maryam wrote: "Anyone who thinks hijab oppresses Muslim women? Take a few minutes to read this. https://www.goodreads.com/story/show/..."

YES PREACH

message 36: by Maryam (new)

Maryam  (maryamhisham) | 199 comments Read this book.
Moments of merriment
And see the inspiring story of the author. He wrote three books while he was bedridden.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yKTC2...

message 37: by Maryam (new)

Maryam  (maryamhisham) | 199 comments So, now we have school for about 9 hours! Because teachers got into their minds that we need more practice. Today was literally the worst day ever. I had to go through two boring sessions for like 3 hours and I didn't gather a single atom of knowledge. And now I have got loads of homework to do. What is happening to us!?

message 38: by Maryam (new)

Maryam  (maryamhisham) | 199 comments Exams have finished and Ramadan has come!! Happy Ramadan everyone! The blessed month of Ramadan starts in Sri Lanka tonight. Hopefully, we'll be fasting for the coming 29 or 30 days. I am excited!

message 39: by ~•israa•~ (new)

~•israa•~ (israfazyl) | 56 comments Happy Ramadan! For me it's already Ramadan. First day! I'm excited too

message 40: by Maryam (new)

Maryam  (maryamhisham) | 199 comments Yay!! That's great. Good to know we follow the same rituals.

message 41: by Maryam (new)

Maryam  (maryamhisham) | 199 comments Isra wrote: "Happy Ramadan! For me it's already Ramadan. First day! I'm excited too"

How's Ramadan in your country?

message 42: by ~•israa•~ (new)

~•israa•~ (israfazyl) | 56 comments It's good. We're really trying to embrace the faith of Ramadan this year.

message 43: by ~•israa•~ (new)

~•israa•~ (israfazyl) | 56 comments Well my family is, at least

iamaunicornwithyellowfeet (bookobsessedblob) | 4091 comments Ramadan started for me today too, but in a way I preferred it in the lockdown because I didn't have to go to school and I had more time to focus on my deen

message 45: by Maryam (new)

Maryam  (maryamhisham) | 199 comments Isra wrote: "Well my family is, at least"

That's good. After all, this is amidst covid 19.

message 46: by Maryam (new)

Maryam  (maryamhisham) | 199 comments iamaunicornwithyellowfeet wrote: "Ramadan started for me today too, but in a way I preferred it in the lockdown because I didn't have to go to school and I had more time to focus on my deen"

Yeah! But here in our country, we get holidays during the Ramadan period. But still, they keep extra classes in school to keep up with studies during Ramadan.

iamaunicornwithyellowfeet (bookobsessedblob) | 4091 comments I wish we had holidays 😭 in my country only Islamic schools are closed for Ramadan

message 48: by Maryam (new)

Maryam  (maryamhisham) | 199 comments iamaunicornwithyellowfeet wrote: "I wish we had holidays 😭 in my country only Islamic schools are closed for Ramadan"

Here too, only schools that have the majority as Muslims are closed. But this time it's different because Sinhalese and Tamil are also going through a festive period. So most of the schools are closed.

message 49: by Maryam (new)

Maryam  (maryamhisham) | 199 comments Ramadan has finished and it's Eid!! Eid Mubarak! Hope you all have a wonderful Eid.

message 50: by Dustorm (new)

Dustorm | 461 comments Hallo