Silver Screen Book Club discussion

Movie Discussions > Favourite Movies on Youtube

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by W (new)

W | 355 comments There are lots of old movies on youtube,and I've enjoyed quite a few.Any recommendations,particularly in the war,western,comedy and film noir genres ?

message 2: by W (new)

W | 355 comments Among those I've liked :

Run Silent,Run Deep (submarine drama WW II,with Clarke Gable and Burt Lancaster)

The Enemy Below (Ship vs. submarine,WW II,with Robert Mitchum)

Operation Petticoat (WW II war comedy,with Cary Grant and Tony Curtis)

message 3: by Kandice (new)

Kandice This doesn't fit your request, but there is an old television movie that a friend of mine watched every year for decades. They stopped playing it and when we tried to find a copy to buy it was priced outrageously! We found it on YouTube and schedule a date to watch each year.

It's called Sweet Hostage and stars Martin Sheen and Linda Blair. It has since been released on DVD, but we still do YouTube. ;)

message 4: by W (new)

W | 355 comments Will check it out,I also watch TV shows on youtube.

message 5: by W (last edited Oct 12, 2020 05:05AM) (new)

W | 355 comments He Walked by Night (film noir,the search for a policeman's killer).
The Thin Red Line (1964,war film based on the James Jones book.Music is a bit too loud,however,and the 1998 film is better).
Broken Arrow (Western,with James Stewart).

message 6: by W (new)

W | 355 comments Strangers When We Meet (1960),with Kirk Douglas and Kim Novak in the lead roles.

message 7: by W (new)

W | 355 comments Charade (1963),with Cary Grant and Audrey Hepburn.

message 8: by W (new)

W | 355 comments North West Frontier (1959),with Kenneth Moore and Lauren Bacall.

message 9: by W (new)

W | 355 comments Rawhide,a Henry Hathaway Western.

message 10: by W (new)

W | 355 comments Yuma,(1971),Western with Clint Walker in the lead role.

message 11: by W (new)

W | 355 comments Gentlemen Prefer Blondes (1953),with Marilyn Monroe.

message 12: by Samantha (new)

Samantha Glasser | 457 comments Mod
I do NOT watch movies on Youtube unless I have no other choice, which is usually the case with silent films. Watching movies on a computer is not ideal because it is easy to get distracted. Also the picture quality is usually lacking. I've never understood why someone would choose to watch a movie or a tv show on their phone. Not to mention copyright violations.

message 13: by W (new)

W | 355 comments And what if the movies are not available where one lives and if there are no TV channels showing older films ? Then youtube becomes very useful.

message 14: by Samantha (new)

Samantha Glasser | 457 comments Mod
Yes, that's why I say it is a last resort for me.

message 15: by Kandice (new)

Kandice You can always cast to your television or use a cord to show it on your tv screen. If you can't get YouTube on your tv, that is.