Well Trained Mind Readers discussion

Grace Abounding to the Chief of Sinners
The WEM Biographies > Biography #6 Grace Abounding

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

grllopez ~ with freedom and books (with_freedom_and_books) So, just checking to see who's in. I know Cleo is reading this for February. I'll be starting in February, too. Is everyone officially done with St. Theresa of Avila and Meditations? Or should we keep those as "reading currently?" Also, I was hoping to read the next biography after Grace Abounding in the same month b/c it is so short. Anyone else thinking of doing that, too?

message 2: by Plethora (last edited Jan 19, 2015 05:11AM) (new) - added it

Plethora (bookworm_r) | 119 comments I'm still so far behind, I haven't gotten Meditations yet from my ILL request.

I tried picking back up Theresa one day and just wasn't in the mood, I will press on though.

I actually read The Narrative of the Captivity and Restoration by Mary Rowlandson in September not realizing at the time it was from this list. I had picked up Journeys in New Worlds: Early American Women's Narratives and her selection is the first one. That is the only one I read so far from the book, it was slow reading for me.

Cleo (cleopatra18) | 274 comments I'm ready to go but I must press on this week to finish some of my January reads ..... for some reason my reading pace slowed down last week so I must pick it up!

As for starting the next biography, I'd like to take a look at my Grace Abounding to the Chief of Sinners ---- the copy that I have (an old Everyman hardcover) did not look short. Perhaps it has other stories or notes in it ........ I can't imagine an abridged copy being published but you never know. I'll get back to you!

Cleo (cleopatra18) | 274 comments Okay, I had a look. My book also has The Life And Death Of Mr Badman so that's why it looked so long. Ruth, does your copy have "Bunyan's Imprisonment" at the end? It's at the end of my Grace Abounding, but I can't tell whether it is included with that book, or just an insert of information.

Were you thinking two or three weeks for the book?

message 5: by grllopez (last edited Jan 25, 2015 12:26PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

grllopez ~ with freedom and books (with_freedom_and_books) Sorry, guys. I totally missed your messages. Just read them today.

Yes, my copy of Grace has Bunyan's Imprisonment. I think it will take us two or three weeks to read just Grace Abounding portion. And then I was going to throw in Mary Rowlandson at the end of February b/c it is so short. At least mine is super thin. Does that seem right?

So, Bookworm, you'll probably skip Rowlandson, since you already read it, but what do you think you will do in February? Are you going to try to finish Teresa or toss her? Maybe this isn't the right time for you to read her. (I wouldn't force it.) Sometimes readers and books don't agree.

message 6: by Plethora (new) - added it

Plethora (bookworm_r) | 119 comments I'll get my hands on a copy of Grace Abounding and actually try to finish a book on time, I've not had a good start. I am still waiting for ILL copy of Meditations. I will get back to Teresa, I can't leave a book unfinished forever.

Yeah, I can't say I'd be ready to pickup Rowlandson again do soon. The story was interesting, it is short, but the language just made it take a long time for me to get through. Harder to read when you are processing the words into words that make sense to you. I think the story could benefit from modernization of the language and used in history teachings that w would bring a different side to the story.

Cleo (cleopatra18) | 274 comments I'm good to go, I just wonder about the pacing. Grace Abounding looks like at least 3 weeks to me. What do you think about Mary Rowlandson, Bookworm? Would two weeks do it, or do you think more? ...... or less???

My February is quite open and even though I have to do some catch-up on Ulysses, I should be able to read a little faster through these.

message 8: by Plethora (last edited Jan 27, 2015 07:08AM) (new) - added it

Plethora (bookworm_r) | 119 comments Just got lucky, Grace Abounding to the Chief of Sinners, Penguin edition, just price dropped, its about half price of what it was a few days ago.

Cleo (cleopatra18) | 274 comments Don't let it freak you out that I finished already. I have a number of reads that I have to get through and needed to get this out of the way to be able to concentrate for a couple of weeks on them.

I did like it but again, the agonizing of these people. After him and Teresa and Margery, I hope we get a break!

I have to say, I'm surprised with Bauer's choices with her WEM biographies list. I know no list is perfect, but I don't think her choices the best if you want to read chronologically. Mind you, if she was focusing on faith, I could see it, but then she seems to deviate in the latter books, so who knows. How did you find her novels list, Ruth?

I don't know if I've mentioned it but:

25 Books Every Christian Should Read (A Renovare Resource) by Renovare 25 Books Every Christian Should Read

is a great resource. The books are chronological as well and their placing makes sense. Perhaps another project after we finish the WEM! Hee hee! :-D

message 10: by Plethora (last edited Feb 05, 2015 01:01PM) (new) - added it

Plethora (bookworm_r) | 119 comments As much as I admire what she has laid out, my daughter would quit talking to me if I had her reading these first selections as required.

I think these have been a tough batch, I'm certain I'm not getting all that is intended from these selections. It could be worthwhile to have a concise guide to recall highpoint from this set to go over with a high school student, but I think these would fit well into a college level study. Which probably explains why when we went to a nearby private Christian college tour the topic spoke on by one of the professors was actually Augustine's Confessions.

message 11: by Cleo (last edited Feb 05, 2015 03:34PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Cleo (cleopatra18) | 274 comments I have quite liked all the books when I take them separately, but as a whole they make little sense to me.

I loved the first three and Descartes Meditations was kind of fun, but all of them appear more like books that have been pulled out of a hat, more than a concise, chronological order of biographies, that perhaps expand ideas.

I think I'm going to make my daughter read Confessions and we'll see how she reacts. She read On the Incarnation and said she liked it but it was MUCH shorter than Confessions. I hope I don't completely put her off Augustine.

message 12: by Seana (new)

Seana | 2 comments This book is boreing

message 13: by Cleo (new) - rated it 4 stars

Cleo (cleopatra18) | 274 comments Ah, what about it did you find boring?