2015 A-Z 'Deuces Wild ' Reading Challenge of African American Authors discussion

2015 Discussion > JUST LIKE DR. MARTIN L. kING

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sidne (last edited Jan 18, 2015 11:17PM) (new)

Sidne (SidneReadz) | 332 comments Mod
NAME a non fiction novel you've read about a person with attributes that reminds you of Martin L. King

Echo from Dealey Plaza: The True Story of the First African American on the White House Secret Service Detail and His Quest for Justice After the

Mr. Bolden was the first A.A. Secret Service agent assigned by the then President John F. Kennedy.
He witnessed some terrible injustice during his position that was racial and serious Hatred for John Kennedy. He even went to expose some of the agents for what he thought could soon turn to death for the President.
Mr. Bolden was framed and spent time in jail losing everything. He is now a spirited humble man whom I love to converse with.
Mr. Bolden was a guest of mine a few years ago and he touches your heart as he recalls the injustice and hatred he endured. He is fighting to have his records cleared since the jail time has scared it for life. He is one of my present day Martin L. King's.

message 2: by Bryan R. (new)

Bryan R. (bryanradams) | 124 comments Lost Prophet, the story of Bayard Rustin. His life was fascinating. He was the one who showed MLK what non-violence was all about. He was very influential in King's life, but when his personal life got too messy, they had to separate themselves from Bayard. In the 50's/60's, it must have been incredibly difficult to be an out of the closet black gay male. And Bayard would get arrested often, performing acts in alleyways and parked cars. A great story about one of the most interesting civil rights leaders of all time.

message 3: by Sidne (new)

Sidne (SidneReadz) | 332 comments Mod
Bryan R. wrote: "Lost Prophet, the story of Bayard Rustin. His life was fascinating. He was the one who showed MLK what non-violence was all about. He was very influential in King's life, but when his personal l..."

I recall my dad discussing this man with my uncles. I will add this book to my TBR list.