VIRTUAL Mount TBR Reading Challenge 2020 discussion

Mount Mindolluin (75 books) > Lynn's level 75 surprise~

Comments Showing 1-27 of 27 (27 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lynn (new)

Lynn (larainey) | 146 comments I didn't think that I would read this many books this year but I have finished by first challenge for 60 books so I thought I would try for higher!

message 2: by Lynn (last edited Oct 10, 2020 07:54PM) (new)

Lynn (larainey) | 146 comments Today’s post on Not That Kind of Guy by Andie J. Christopher. It is 320 pages long and is published by Jove. The cover is an illustration of the two main characters. There is some foul language, discussion of sex and sexuality, and no violence in this novel. This is a stand alone novel. The story is told from third person close of the two main characters, Bridget and Matt. There Be Spoilers Ahead.

From the back of the book- An office attraction becomes something more when they're off the clock in this delightful romantic comedy by the USA Today bestselling author of Not the Girl You Marry.
State attorney Bridget Nolan is successful in all aspects of her life--except romance. After breaking up with her longtime boyfriend, she's been slow to reenter the dating scene. To be honest, she has more important things to do like putting bad guys behind bars. But with her brother's wedding right around the corner, she suddenly needs a date and fast. Lucky for Bridget, the legal intern is almost done with his program.
Matt Kido is dumbstruck by Bridget--total love at first sight--but there's one problem. She's totally off-limits while she's his boss. But the moment he no longer reports to her, Matt asks her on a date. An impulsive decision takes them to Las Vegas where, as the saying goes, what happens in Vegas, stays in Vegas.
Unless you put a ring on it.

Review- A cute romance that I mostly enjoyed. Bridget and Matt are cute, they have good chemistry and good banter, and they earn their happily-ever-after. The sex is not very descriptive, which was fine with me, it did not lose anything by that. The side characters are great and add to the story. The only thing I did not really care for was the sub-plot of Matt’s mother trying to buy Bridget off and Bridget not telling Matt about it until almost the end of the novel. That was not the best conflict in this story, I liked the two ex’es who would not deal with the fact that the previous relationships were over and they were never going to get back together. But it was all in all a very cute story and I enjoyed it.

I give this novel a Four out of Five stars. I get nothing for my review and I borrowed this book from my local library.

message 3: by Lynn (new)

Lynn (larainey) | 146 comments 61 down

message 4: by Lynn (new)

Lynn (larainey) | 146 comments Today’s post is on Cool Town: How Athens, Georgia, Launched Alternative Music and Changed American Culture by Grace Elizabeth Hale. It is 371 pages long and is published by University of North Carolina Press. The cover is a picture of the B-52’s in concert. The intended reader is someone who is interested in music history and how one small town grew new music. There is mild foul language, discussion of sex and sexuality, and no violence in this book. There Be Spoilers Ahead.

From the dust jacket- In the summer of 1978, the B-52's conquered the New York underground. A year later, the band's self-titled debut album burst onto the Billboard charts, capturing the imagination of fans and music critics worldwide. The fact that the group had formed in the sleepy southern college town of Athens, Georgia, only increased the fascination. Soon, more Athens bands followed the B-52's into the vanguard of the new American music that would come to be known as "alternative," including R.E.M., who catapulted over the course of the 1980s to the top of the musical mainstream. As acts like the B-52's, R.E.M., and Pylon drew the eyes of New York tastemakers southward, they discovered in Athens an unexpected mecca of music, experimental art, DIY spirit, and progressive politics--a creative underground as vibrant as any to be found in the country's major cities.
In Athens in the eighties, if you were young and willing to live without much money, anything seemed possible. Cool Town reveals the passion, vitality, and enduring significance of a bohemian scene that became a model for others to follow. Grace Elizabeth Hale experienced the Athens scene as a student, small-business owner, and band member. Blending personal recollection with a historian's eye, she reconstructs the networks of bands, artists, and friends that drew on the things at hand to make a new art of the possible, transforming American culture along the way. In a story full of music and brimming with hope, Hale shows how an unlikely cast of characters in an unlikely place made a surprising and beautiful new world.

Review- A well written history about music in Athens, GA and the bands who made it there. Hale was a student at University of Georgia, she was involved in this scene, and knew all the major players in it too; so she is writing from a place of knowledge and personal experience. Hale gives an excellent background for the culture of the area, the people who lived here, the kids who moved there, and everything in between. At times it is a little too much with so many people. Places, dates, and other information that it can be overwhelming but the overall narrative of counterculture and the musicians who made the music is very detailed. She explores her topic by time starting with the start of the Scene and the creation of the B-52’s and why they started making music. She ends the book with her time in Athens and how it changed the course of her life. If you are interested in musical history then you should give this one a try.

I give this book a Three out of Five stars. I get nothing for my review and I borrowed this book from my local library.

message 5: by Lynn (new)

Lynn (larainey) | 146 comments 62 down

message 6: by Lynn (new)

Lynn (larainey) | 146 comments Today's post is on A Tangled Web: A Cyberstalker, a Deadly Obsession, and the Twisting Path to Justice by Leslie Rule. it is 287 pages long and is published by Citadel Press. The cover has an iron grate with a spider’s web in it. The intended reader is someone who is interested in true crime. There is mild foul language, discussion of sex and sexuality, and violence in this book. There Be Spoilers Ahead.

From the dust jacket- In the tradition of her acclaimed mother, Ann Rule, author of The Stranger Beside Me, bestselling author Leslie Rule delivers a riveting true story for our time--as she exposes the years-long trail of a sadistic sociopath, identity thief, and killer at the dark heart of a real-life fatal attraction . . .
It was a bleak November in 2012 when Cari Lea Farver vanished from Omaha, Nebraska. Cari, thirty-seven, was a devoted mother, reliable employee, and loyal friend--not the type to shirk responsibilities, abandon her son, and run off on an adventure while her dying father took his last breaths. Yet, the many texts from her phone indicated she had done just that.
It appeared that Cari had dumped her new boyfriend, quit her job, and relinquished custody of her son to her mother--all by text. While Cari's boyfriend, Dave Kroupa, and her supervisor were bewildered by her abrupt disappearance, they accepted the texts at face value. Her mother, Nancy Raney, however, was alarmed and reported Cari missing. Police were skeptical of her claims that a cyber impostor had commandeered her daughter's phone and online identity.
While Nancy was afraid for Cari, Dave Kroupa was growing afraid of her, for he believed Cari was stalking him. Never seen or heard, the stalker was aware of his every move and seemed obsessed by his casual girlfriend, Shanna "Liz" Golyar, often calling her "a fat whore" in the twelve thousand emails and texts he received in a disturbing three-year deluge.
How did the stalker know Dave's phone numbers immediately after he changed them, the names of his lady friends, even what he wore as he watched TV? He and Liz reported death threats, vandalism, and burglaries, but the stalker remained at large. The threats were vicious, vile and often obscene, sent mostly via text and always in Cari's name. There was some truth in the messages, but all of them contained one big lie. The culprit was not Cari -- but had killed and planned to kill again.
With mesmerizing detail and compelling narrative skill, Leslie Rule tracks every step of the heart-pounding path to long-awaited justice--from a sociopath's twisted past to the deadly deception and the high-tech forensics that condemned the killer to prison, where the tangled web of manipulations still draws trusting souls into danger.

Review- An interesting and twisted true crime story that Rule handles very well. This is a very horrifying story with a real psychopath as the killer. Dave Kroupa is newly single and just wants to have fun. So he turns to the internet to meet ladies who want the same thing. Unfortunately he meets Shanna ‘Liz’ Golyar and she becomes obsessed with him. The writing is very well done, Rule has access to the people who are still dealing with the crimes Golyar committed, and she handles the victims with care and respect. My only complaint with this book is whenever Rule introduces a person to the reader she does a full bio on them, by that I mean she discusses their family back to grandparents, their early life, everything. I, personally, did not feel like I needed all that information for every person we met over the course of the book. It distracted from the story. But in the end it is a good true crime book about a very twisted killer and the people she harmed along the way, so if you like true crime then you should read this one.

I give this book a Four out of Five stars. I get nothing for my review and I borrowed this book from my local library.

message 7: by Lynn (new)

Lynn (larainey) | 146 comments 63 down

message 8: by Lynn (new)

Lynn (larainey) | 146 comments Today’s post is on Say Yes to the Duke by Eloisa James. It is316 pages long and is published by Avon. The cover has a pretty woman in a lavender dress on it. It is the fifth book in the Wildes of Lindow Castle but you do not have to have read any of the others to understand the story. There is mild foul language, sex, and no violence in this book. The story is told from third person close of the main characters. There Be Spoilers Ahead.

From the back of the book- Miss Viola Astley is so painfully shy that she’s horrified by the mere idea of dancing with a stranger; her upcoming London debut feels like a nightmare.
So she’s overjoyed to meet handsome, quiet vicar with no interest in polite society — but just when she catches his attention, her reputation is compromised by a duke.
Devin Lucas Augustus Elstan, Duke of Wynter, will stop at nothing to marry Viola, including marrying a woman whom he believes to be in love with another man.
A vicar, no less.
Devin knows he’s no saint, but he’s used to conquest, and he’s determined to win Viola’s heart.
Viola has already said Yes to his proposal, but now he wants her unruly heart…and he won’t accept No for an answer.

Review- A very cute little romance with two likable characters. Viola has some trauma from being yelled at when she was teen by a strange man and Devin just wants to work on his math problems but when they meet face to face they can help but yell at each other. It was very cute, almost a comedy of errors and I had a nice time reading it. Viola is a little under confident about herself and Devin does not help by putting his foot in his mouth but in the end all's well that ends well. The plot does not break any new ground but it is a solid fountain for a love story. If you like sweet historical romances then you need to give this one a try.

I give this book a Four out of Five stars. I get nothing for my review and I borrowed this book from my local library.

message 9: by Lynn (new)

Lynn (larainey) | 146 comments 64 down

message 10: by Lynn (new)

Lynn (larainey) | 146 comments Today’s post is on French Like Moi: A Midwesterner in Paris by Scott Dominic Carpenter. It is 256 pages long and is published by Traveler’s Tales. The cover is a picture of two shoes one nice man’s work shoe and the other a beat-up tennis shoe. There is some foul language, no sex, and no violence in this book. The intended reader is someone who likes funny memoirs. There Be Spoilers Ahead.

From the back of the book- When Scott Carpenter moves from Minnesota to Paris, little does he suspect the dramas that will unfold: scheming neighbors, police denunciations, surly demonstrators, cooking disasters, medical mishaps—not to mention all those lectures about cheese! Nothing in the City of Light can be taken for granted, where even trips to the grocery store lead to adventure.

Review- An amusing memoir about a man living in Paris and all the odd things that happen from there. Carpenter has the chance to live in Paris, France for a year and he does, also bringing his family with him. Thus begins his adventures in Paris and dealing with the French people, who are so funny in their reactions to him and his very American ways. Carpenter gives the reader insight into living in Paris as an American and all the differences in day-to-day life. It is a fun read with an amusing narrator and I would recommend this memoir.

message 11: by Lynn (new)

Lynn (larainey) | 146 comments 65 down

message 12: by Lynn (new)

Lynn (larainey) | 146 comments Today’s post is on The Liar's Daughter by Megan Cooley Peterson. It is 277 pages long and is published by Holiday House. The cover is a picture of a young woman with the face burned out. There is very mild foul language, implied sex, and no violence in this novel. The intended reader is someone who likes survival stories and young adult literature. The story is told from third person close of the main character, Piper. There Be Spoilers Ahead.

From the dust jacket- Seventeen-year-old Piper knows that Father is a Prophet. Infallible. The chosen one.
She would do anything for Father. That's why she takes care of all her little sisters. That's why she runs end-of-the-world drills. That's why she never asks questions. Because Father knows best.
Until the day he doesn't. Until the day the government raids the compound and separates Piper from her siblings, from Mother, from the Aunts, from all of Father's followers--even from Caspian, the boy she loves.
Now Piper is living Outside. Among Them.
With a woman They claim is her real mother--a woman They say Father stole her from.
But Piper knows better. And Piper is going to escape.

Review- A fantastic novel about a young woman surviving a cult and discovering her truth along the way. The story is told in two parts Before and After. Before is when they were found and how they were living, not well. After is when Piper is back home with her real family. This is very well done by Peterson, the reader is never lost as the story moves forward not just because she makes when we are but the reader is never lost because of how the story is told. We are with Piper and we understand the world from her eyes. It is heartbreaking to see her struggle with the truth and the lies she was raised with. At times I was very worried for Piper but that means Peterson did a good job. I recommend this novel.

I give this novel a Four out of Five stars. I get nothing for my review and I borrowed this novel from my local library.

message 13: by Lynn (new)

Lynn (larainey) | 146 comments 66 down

message 14: by Lynn (new)

Lynn (larainey) | 146 comments Today’s post is in Looking for Miss America: A Pageant’s 100-Year Quest to Define Womanhood by Margot Mifflin. It is 310 pages long and is published by Counterpoint. The cover is a picture of a historical Miss America. There is very mild foul language, discussion of sex, sexuality, and sexual abuse, and no violence in this book. There Be Spoilers Ahead.

From the dust jacket- From an author praised for writing “delicious social history” (Dwight Garner, The New York Times) comes a lively account of memorable Miss America contestants, protests, and scandals―and how the pageant, nearing its one hundredth anniversary, serves as an unintended indicator of feminist progress.
Looking for Miss America is a fast-paced narrative history of a curious and contradictory institution. From its start in 1921 as an Atlantic City tourist draw to its current incarnation as a scholarship competition, the pageant has indexed women’s status during periods of social change―the post-suffrage 1920s, the Eisenhower 1950s, the #MeToo era. This ever-changing institution has been shaped by war, evangelism, the rise of television and reality TV, and, significantly, by contestants who confounded expectations.
Spotlighting individuals, from Yolande Betbeze, whose refusal to pose in swimsuits led an angry sponsor to launch the rival Miss USA contest, to the first black winner, Vanessa Williams, who received death threats and was protected by sharpshooters in her hometown parade, Margot Mifflin shows how women made hard bargains even as they used the pageant for economic advancement. The pageant’s history includes, crucially, those it excluded; the notorious Rule Seven, which required contestants to be “of the white race,” was retired in the 1950s, but no women of color were crowned until the 1980s.
In rigorously researched, vibrant chapters that unpack each decade of the pageant, Looking for Miss America examines the heady blend of capitalism, patriotism, class anxiety, and cultural mythology that has fueled this American ritual.

Review- This is a fascinating historical overview of the Miss America contest from its history to its present and what the future may look like. Mifflin does excellent research, she interviews the still living older MIss America’s, and anyone else who was involved in the contest willing to speak to her. She gives an interesting overview of a beauty pageant that does not know what it wants to be. At times it has been both boycotted by the left and the right, sometimes at the same time; the contest has continued. It has both been a step forward for women and a way to hold them back. Winners were just seen as pretty faces and not taken seriously in their careers but it has also helped women to go college without worrying about student debt. Mifflin gives the reader all the sides and the women who were caught in them. I really enjoyed this book and I recommend it.

I give this book a Five out of Five stars. I get nothing for my review and I borrowed this book from my local library.

message 15: by Lynn (new)

Lynn (larainey) | 146 comments 67 down

message 16: by Lynn (new)

Lynn (larainey) | 146 comments Today’s post is on Home Before Dark by Riley Sager. It is 384 pages long and is published by Dutton. The cover is dark green with a chandelier under the title. The intended reader is someone who likes mystery horror stories. There is mild foul language, no sex, and mild violence in this novel. The story is told from first person close of Maggie and her father, Ewan. There Be Spoilers Ahead.

From the dust jacket- What was it like? Living in that house.
Maggie Holt is used to such questions. Twenty-five years ago, she and her parents, Ewan and Jess, moved into Baneberry Hall, a rambling Victorian estate in the Vermont woods. They spent three weeks there before fleeing in the dead of night, an ordeal Ewan later recounted in a nonfiction book called House of Horrors. His tale of ghostly happenings and encounters with malevolent spirits became a worldwide phenomenon, rivaling The Amityville Horror in popularity—and skepticism.
Today, Maggie is a restorer of old homes and too young to remember any of the events mentioned in her father’s book. But she also doesn’t believe a word of it. Ghosts, after all, don’t exist. When Maggie inherits Baneberry Hall after her father’s death, she returns to renovate the place to prepare it for sale. But her homecoming is anything but warm. People from the past, chronicled in House of Horrors, lurk in the shadows. And locals aren’t thrilled that their small town has been made infamous thanks to Maggie’s father. Even more unnerving is Baneberry Hall itself—a place filled with relics from another era that hint at a history of dark deeds. As Maggie experiences strange occurrences straight out of her father’s book, she starts to believe that what he wrote was more fact than fiction.

Review- A gripping story of mystery and horror that had me turning pages as I tried to figure out the story. Sager has done a wonderful job with this story, the characters, and the setting. I only have one problem with the story and it’s at the end Maggie’s parents are stupid but other than that this was one tight story. With the story being told in two parts one from the book Maggie’s father wrote’ House of Horrors’ and then from Maggie’s perspective in the present day as she tries to understand her father and what really happened to them when they lived in the house. It is more than just a haunted house story but a complicated family narrative with a horrorish background. I highly recommend this novel.

I give this novel a Four out of Five stars. I get nothing for my review and I borrowed this novel from my local library.

message 17: by Lynn (new)

Lynn (larainey) | 146 comments 68 down

message 18: by Lynn (new)

Lynn (larainey) | 146 comments Today’s post is on Murder Thy Neighbor by James Patterson. It is 308 pages long and was published by Grand Central Publishing. The cover is a picture from up a hole with a man holding a shovel on it. The intended reader is someone who is interested in true crime. There is some mild foul language, no sex, and violence in this book. There Be Spoilers Ahead.

From the back of the book- Murder Thy Neighbor: Ann Hoover is a nice woman, but she’s come to hate her neighbor. Roy Kirk moved in next door with plans to renovate. But as the weeks go by, his DIY construction turns to shambles and Roy himself becomes sullen and hostile. When Ann takes him to court, Roy’s retaliation will be shockingly gruesome.

Murder IRL: Jenelle Potter has always been better at connecting through social media than in person. With overprotective parents, she hasn’t had many options to meet people until she links up with Billy. But her feelings for Billy are unreciprocated, causing Jenelle to start a virtual war- a war that enters the real world.

Review- These are two very disturbing stories. The first story about two neighbors and the house they share was very chilling as it is so very easy to have a dispute with a neighbor. Patterson is respectful to the victim and the reader as he tones down the worse of the violence Hoover endured from her killer, Roy Kirk. It was a very frightening story. We get to see into what was going with Kirk and what may have driven him to kill.

The second story is so wild that I had to google it to make sure that I was getting everything. Jenelle and her family were odd and she was never allowed to experience life on her own and people died because of that. Janelle pulled all their strings from her family to the victims themselves were being controlled by her but in the end, Jenelle was caught. When the full scope of Janelle’s web of lies, it was truly impressive and very troubling. We see just how troubled Jenelle herself is.

I really enjoyed this new doulogy of true crime from Patterson. If you liked the previous ones he has written, then you should read this one.

message 19: by Lynn (new)

Lynn (larainey) | 146 comments 69 down

message 20: by Lynn (new)

Lynn (larainey) | 146 comments Today’s post is on The Epic Crush of Genie Lo by F.C. Yee. It is 310 pages long and is published by Amulet books. The cover is purple with Chinese dragons and stylized mountains between them. The intended reader is someone who likes YA, myth re-imagines, and strong female characters. There is no foul language, no sex, and mild violence in this novel. The story is told from third person close of the main character Genie. There Be Spoilers Ahead.

From the back of the book- Genie Lo is one among droves of Ivy-hopeful overachievers in her sleepy Bay Area suburb. When she’s not crushing it at volleyball, Genie is typically working on how to crack the elusive Harvard entry code. But when her hometown comes under siege from hellspawn straight out of Chinese folklore, her priorities are dramatically rearranged. Enter Quentin Sun, a mysterious new kid who becomes Genie’s guide to battling demons. While Genie knows Quentin only as an attractive transfer student with an oddly formal command of the English language, in another reality he is SUn Wukong, the mythological Monkey King incarnate- right down to the furry tail and penchant for peaches.
Suddenly, acing the SATs is the least of Genie’s worries. The fates of her friends, family, and the entire Bay Area all depend on her summoning an inner power that Quentin assures her is strong enough to level the very gates of Heaven. But every second Genie spends tapping into the secret of her true nature is a second in which the lives of her loved ones hang in the balance.

Review- This is a wonderful novel and I loved every minute of it. Genie is fantastic; she is smart, driven, she was kick butt if she needs to, and she is worried about her SAT. I love this girl. I am a huge fan of the Monkey King and I have read just about every story about him and have seen most of the media about him. Yee did a great job with this novel. It is not a re-telling of Journey to the West but more the continuing adventures of the Monkey King. The action is great, the Chinese mythology is great, the writing is great, everything about this novel is great. I cannot wait to get my hands on the second novel.

I give this novel a Five of out Five stars. I get nothing for my review and I borrowed this novel from my local library.

message 21: by Lynn (new)

Lynn (larainey) | 146 comments 70 down

message 22: by Lynn (new)

Lynn (larainey) | 146 comments Today’s post is on The Return by Rachel Harrison. It is 304 pages long and is published by Berkley. The cover is hot pink with a chair in the center. The intended reader is someone who likes slow building horror. There is mild foul language, no sex, and no violence in this book. The story is told from first person close of Elise. There Be Spoilers Ahead.

From the dust jacket- Julie is missing, and no one believes she will ever return- expect Elise. Elise knows Julie better than anyone, and feels it in her bones that her best friend is out there and that one day Julie will come back. She’s right. Two years to the day that Julie went missing, she reappears with no memory of where she’s been or what happened to her.
Along with Molly and Mae, their two close friends from college, the women decide to reunite at a remote inn. But the second that Elise sees Julie, she knows something is wrong- she’s emaciated, with sallow skin and odd appetites. And as the weekend unfurls, it becomes impossible to deny that the Julie who vanished two years ago is not the same Julie who came back. But then who- or what- is she?

Review- This is a great debut horror novel. Elise has lived with the loss of her friend for two years and she is convinced that Julie will come back, that she is not dead, Julie did not leave Elise alone. And when Julie just shows up back at her home, Elise is not surprised at all. But in the back of her mind, Elise knows that something is wrong. The novel is a very slow burn for a horror novel with just odd things happening but nothing that is by itself horrifying just a growing sense of disease from our characters. When everything is revealed, it is an excellent revelation even if I guessed what kind of monster Julie has become. I recommend this novel if you like slow burn horror.

message 23: by Lynn (new)

Lynn (larainey) | 146 comments 71 down

message 24: by Lynn (new)

Lynn (larainey) | 146 comments Today's post is on Hallowe'en Party by Agatha Christie. It is 216 pages long and is published by Bantam Books. The cover is black with a silhouette of Agatha Christie on it. The intended reader is someone who likes classic mysteries. There is no foul language, no sex, and no violence in this novel. The story is told from third person close following Hercule Poirot. There Be Spoilers Ahead.

From the dust jacket- A teenage murder witness is drowned in a tub of apples... At a Hallowe'en party, Joyce—a hostile thirteen-year-old—boasts that she once witnessed a murder. When no-one believes her, she storms off home. But within hours her body is found, still in the house, drowned in an apple-bobbing tub. That night, Hercule Poirot is called in to find the 'evil presence'. But first he must establish whether he is looking for a murderer or a double-murderer…

Review- A wonderful and twisty mystery for the haunting season. Hercule Poirot is called to a small village by a friend who was there when the child was murdered. This is a wild ride of a story with other missing people, the murdered child was not to be trusted but she was murdered for some reason, and forged wills. Poirot has his work cut out for him. This was a great story. I had a great time exploring this mystery with Poirot as my guide and I did not guess the murderer(s) before the end. Ms. Christie is a master storyteller and this one is no different. I would highly recommend all of her work.

I give this novel a Five out of Five stars. I get nothing for my review and I borrowed this novel from my local library.

message 25: by Lynn (new)

Lynn (larainey) | 146 comments 72 down

message 26: by Lynn (new)

Lynn (larainey) | 146 comments Today’s post is on Over the Woodward Wall by A. Deborah Baker. It is 204 pages long and is published by Tor. The cover is orange with a wall in the center and two children sitting on top of the wall. The intended reader is someone who likes portal fantasies like Wizard of Oz. It is the first in the The Up-and-Under series. There is no foul language, no sex, and no violence in this novel. The story is told from third person close of the characters moving as the story does. There Be Spoilers Ahead.

From the dust jacket- Avery is an exceptional child. Everything he does is precise, from the way he washes his face in the morning, to the way he completes his homework – without complaint, without fuss, without prompt.

Zib is also an exceptional child, because all children are, in their own way. But where everything Avery does and is can be measured, nothing Zib does can possibly be predicted, except for the fact that she can always be relied upon to be unpredictable.

They live on the same street.

They live in different worlds.

On an unplanned detour from home to school one morning, Avery and Zib find themselves climbing over a stone wall into the Up and Under – an impossible land filled with mystery, adventure and the strangest creatures.

And they must find themselves and each other if they are to also find their way out and back to their own lives.

Review- As someone who really likes portal fantasies and loves the novels of the Wizard of Oz this was a wonderful novel that i enjoyed very much. Zib and Avery are trying to get to school when a wall stands in their way and because they are children and they need to get to school, they climb over the wall and into another world called the Up-and-Under. It is a place where girls can become crows, owls come in all colors, and the only way to get home is to find the Queen of Wands in the Impossible City on the Improbable Road. The writing is excellent, the story is fun and safe for all readers, and the characters are fun. I am very excited to see Baker a.k.a. Seanan McGuire take on the Wizard of Oz and all the tropes with it, the second volume cannot come out soon enough.

I give this novel a Five out of Five stars. I get nothing for my review and I borrowed this novel from my local library.

message 27: by Lynn (last edited Dec 31, 2020 05:01PM) (new)

Lynn (larainey) | 146 comments 73 and I am done with this year. I have read more than I originally signed up and maybe I can do this again next year! 2021 here I come~