These Violent Delights These Violent Delights question

Ending *SPOILERS*
Kyle Kyle Oct 09, 2020 10:25AM
Can someone much smarter than myself please explain the ending to me? Or attempt to?
Thank you kindly in advance.

The whole point is that Julian got away when Paul tried to kill him, and, through the metaphor of the chess game he was obsessed with, communicated to Paul that they were really doomed for the start - their whole relationship was a mistake from the "first move".
@Marian - Julian's family came out of the book unscathed, but Julian has the money that his brother was able to sneak over to him, which was enough for him to be able to escape.

deleted member Oct 27, 2021 11:53PM   0 votes
John, I aggressively relate. Can't imagine recovering from this book.
If the ending is simply that they were doomed from the start and that's it....then, RIP my soul.

I agree with Serena. I'm still not sure if he was actually trying to kill Julian or if he wanted him to believe he might to get him to leave him. Julian kept talking about leaving town and Paul couldn't bear to leave his family.

Then there was the mention of Julian's family being dead. Now, that would have been an ending, if Paul had somehow killed Julian's whole family somehow and now Julian had all the money to himself. And, what was the point in the character Joy coming?

Saimon (ZanyAnomaly) just wanna add here that my impression of the ending is that Paul finally kind of gains a conscience towards the end of the book when he's close to ki ...more
Apr 04, 2021 06:34AM · flag
Saimon (ZanyAnomaly) just wanna add here that my impression of the ending is that Paul finally kind of gains a conscience towards the end of the book when he's close to ki ...more
Apr 04, 2021 06:34AM · flag

I could be totally wrong but what I got from it was that Paul tried to kill Julian, Julian escaped and ran away. And the letter with move #1 circled was explaining that the mistake/loss from the chess game was caused by the first move, as a metaphor for their relationship. But I could be totally wrong.

Thank you for posing this question, Kyle. I feel dumb. I have been replaying those final pages over and over again in my mind, trying to make sense of what happened. This book destroyed me.

Serena, I think your interpretation is how I understand it as well. The chess metaphor seems to suggest that the first move set into motion an inevitable demise to their relationship.

Ugh. I don't think I will ever recover from this book.

I finished the book about 10 minutes ago and there should be something going on between the ethics conversation on the class and the Kazlauskas Vs. Kaplan game… I know I’ll figure out. Now, for all the people who got to read 2020’s edition, the art cover of the book now has a totally deeper meaning. How the the eyes of the man are under of what we now know is actually that same start of the red circle. It can only be. And after how Micah emphasized how surrounding characters felt when looking at Paul directly to his eyes, and then you have the word “these” exactly on top of the eye area, as saying “here” are the violent delights.