What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

The Dream Collector
This topic is about The Dream Collector
SOLVED: Children's/YA > SOLVED. teen/ya book about a young girl making wishes [s]

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Krystle (kkinard) | 51 comments I'm looking for a book I read when I was younger.... I can't remember the name of the book or who the author was. I do recall it being a bluebook with a teenage girl on the cover.... It was possibly a teen or young adult book. I'm not sure when it was written, but I'm guessing the early 90s. it was about a young girl who lived in the Atlanta Georgia area. And it had something to do with her making a wish. I believe there was something to do with a book that she received for her birthday maybe? A book that helped her make her wishes come true. In the end of the book she goes to stone mountain with the boy that she likes.

Krystle (kkinard) | 51 comments bump

message 3: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 38241 comments Mod
Krystle, normal bump time is 30 days.

Was the cover art photo or drawing/painting?

message 4: by Kirstin (new)

Kirstin | 191 comments Not everything matches up but maybe The Wish by Gail Carson Levine. Was it present day setting?

message 5: by Kris (new)

Kris | 34447 comments Mod
Here's the link for Kirstin's suggestion - The Wish by Gail Carson Levine.

message 6: by Kirstin (new)

Kirstin | 191 comments Thank you Kris. I would've linked it but I am at work and can't through my phone lol.

message 7: by Kris (new)

You're welcome, Kirstin. Yes, the mobile version is rather limited. :)

Krystle (kkinard) | 51 comments thank you all for commenting, but sadly, that isn't my book.

Tabitha (Lovely Books Blog) | 12 comments This one was published a little later but maybe it was As You Wish by Jackson Pearce?

Krystle (kkinard) | 51 comments no, that's not it either. but thank you. Dang...why can't I remember it more? I know for a fact that in the end of the book, the main character goes to stone mountain with the boy she likes. And I remember her being in her mid teens. there was a book involved. I know that much...a book about wishes - maybe about how to make your wishes come true?

message 12: by Peter (new)

Peter Meilinger | 474 comments Was it a novel or could it have been a short story in a collection? Your description reminds me of a story I've mostly forgotten in Curses, Inc. and Other Stories by Vivian Vande Velde.

The only story I do remember at all well was someone who wished he could understand what animals are saying, but son regrets it. Turns out animal talk is mostly "Hey!" and "I'm hungry!" and "Get off my lawn!" or the equivalent.

Krystle (kkinard) | 51 comments no, it was definitely a book. and I don't think it was part of a series either.

message 14: by Tab (new)

Tab (tabbrown) | 4967 comments The Dream Collector The Dream Collector by Joyce Sweeney ?

Here is a review from Kirkus:
Kirkus:
A thoughtful stow about the bittersweet side-effects of fulfilled wishes. Becky wants to give the members of her family the world for Christmas, but all she can afford is five copies (plus one for herself) of Creative Wishing, a book that promises to make dreams come true by teaching the reader to set realistic goals. Everyone writes down his or her own heart's desires--(view spoiler) As for Becky:(view spoiler)

Also, according to Novelist Plus, the story takes place in Atlanta, Georgia.

Krystle (kkinard) | 51 comments thank you so much! that's my book! :)

message 16: by Kris (new)

Note: Removed duplicate shelving from Apr 5, 2015.