The Rory Gilmore Reading Challenge discussion

Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?
This topic is about Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?
Book Discussions > Who's Afraid of Virginia Wolfe?

Comments Showing 1-23 of 23 (23 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Holly (new) - added it

Holly | 231 comments Mod
October's read is officially Who's Afriad of Virginia Wolfe?

Personally I've never read this one so I'm interested to see the ending.

JB is in charge so watch out for her post!

message 2: by Stephanie (new) - added it

Stephanie Johnson | 304 comments There is a movie about this play with Elizabeth Taylor. Has anyone seen it? I might try to watch it after I read it.

message 3: by jb (new)

jb Byrkit (jbbyrkit) | 59 comments Hello to everyone! I’ve not read this book so I’m excited to get it from the library. Has anyone read it?

Ms. B | 12 comments Excited to read this one.

message 5: by Paige (new)

Paige Cook (corneliastreets) | 6 comments When will we start? I’ll pick it up ASAP

message 6: by jb (new)

jb Byrkit (jbbyrkit) | 59 comments It’s the October read so start whenever you are ready. My library doesn’t have the book, but I may have found a pdf copy.

Elba (elbamaria) | 99 comments I am in. I am not sure what to expect. I have never read or seen the play. I am interested in the film with Liz Taylor too. Look forward to discussion.

message 8: by jb (new)

jb Byrkit (jbbyrkit) | 59 comments I’m not sure what to expect either. I really didn’t know anything about it until I downloaded the pdf. I’m not even sure I knew it was a play.

message 9: by Cathrine (new)

Cathrine | 14 comments I've ordered a copy from my local library! I've been so behind in this group lately and missed a lot of books, so I'm really excited to read a shorter one for this month...

Rebecca (becstokes) | 38 comments I've seen the movie, it's fabulous. Elizabeth Taylor and Richard Burton are perfect as a bickering middle-aged couple who drink too much... I mean, is it even acting at that point?? ;)
Have ordered the book from the library and can't wait to read it.

message 11: by Helene (new)

Helene | 67 comments I am still waiting on my copy. But look forward to reading it. I haven't seen the movie but I want to after reading it :-)

I am reading Virgina Woolf now - to the lighthouse, which obviously isn't the same, but I wanted to finish it before starting who's afraid of virginia Woolf to see how they parallel.

message 12: by Frances (new)

Frances (francesperez) Hi! I'm new to the group. I wasn't sure if it was active because I saw that there were no replies in the Introduction Thread. And the book for the month Little Women.was.for October to December 2019. Is it too late to join you? Hi Helene!

message 13: by jb (new)

jb Byrkit (jbbyrkit) | 59 comments Frances wrote: "Hi! I'm new to the group. I wasn't sure if it was active because I saw that there were no replies in the Introduction Thread. And the book for the month Little Women.was.for October to ..."

You can join anytime!

Ms. B | 12 comments I finished the book. It was not exactly what I expected. (view spoiler) I am not sure if I would even want to see this as a play. IMHO, there was nothing uplifting about this story.

message 15: by Stephanie (new) - added it

Stephanie Johnson | 304 comments I agree its modern in that there is no substance to it. Not sure of I want to see the movie after reading it.

message 16: by Elba (last edited Oct 29, 2020 07:36AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Elba (elbamaria) | 99 comments One might be afraid of Virginia Woolf because she is brutally honest in trying to understand the intricacies of the human mind and heart. Her writing is complex, and one might be afraid of not understanding all the content. Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf is not uplifting, but it is enlightening. Phoniness is preferred rather than over exposing all of one's problems and indiscretions. Martha and George lay it all out there. They are not phony, they are horrible; so many cringe moments especially as they are bickering and fighting in front of their guests. They are so cruel to one another. The whole thing is very ghastly and just hard to not watch unfold. I can only imagine the audience in the 1960's. Wow, really ahead of it's time. The movie was just so raw. Elizabeth Taylor, my gosh she was amazing. Who knows what really goes on behind closed doors, well here you get a glimpse at disfunction. Paved the way for reality TV. Emotionally exhausting. And boy, these folks can really hold their liquor. In the end you really see this is how this couple communicates, ghastly.

message 17: by jb (new)

jb Byrkit (jbbyrkit) | 59 comments I started reading the book today. I’m not sure I’m actually enjoying the storyline.

message 18: by Cams (new)

Cams | 1 comments Hi! i'm new in the group and i can't wait to start reading the book but does anybody knows where to download the pdf? cause i can't buy it, asking for a friend lol

message 20: by Lisa (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lisa Welch (lisa0826) | 6 comments I finished the book over the weekend. I didn't realize there was a movie, and I definitely want to check that out now. I thought the commentary on the faces we present to others was interesting, but I felt that I might be more engaged with the storyline if I were viewing the movie or a live performance. It was hard for me to become engrossed with it by just reading it.

message 21: by Elba (new) - rated it 5 stars

Elba (elbamaria) | 99 comments I found the GG refrence to George and Martha on S2E6 where Lorelai refrers to Emily and Richard as George and Martha...funny...

message 22: by Elba (last edited Oct 29, 2020 07:37AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Elba (elbamaria) | 99 comments Hey book pals, Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf is meant to be performed in front of an audience to get the full affect.. that said you can find the movie on YouTube so after you read take a peek…amazing performances from Taylor and Burton and the secondary actors too.

Ms. B | 12 comments Elba wrote: "I found the GG refrence to George and Martha on S2E6 where Lorelai refrers to Emily and Richard as George and Martha...funny..." I think I remember that episode. ;-)

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Little Women (other topics)