Never too Late to Read Classics discussion

Archive Non-Fiction > 2021 Nonfiction Planning and Suggestions

Comments Showing 1-30 of 30 (30 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Samantha, Cajun Literary Belle (last edited Nov 11, 2020 09:05AM) (new)

Samantha Matherne (cajunliterarybelle) | 2430 comments Mod
Nonfiction Schedule for 2021:

January / February -- Narrative of the Life of Frederick Douglass by Frederick Douglass (Honor of Black History Month in the USA - February)

March / April -- Notes of a Native Son by James Baldwin (Honor of Jazz Appreciation Month in the USA - April)

May / June -- Goodbye to All That by Robert Graves (Honor of V-E Day May 8th, 1945 & D-Day June 6th, 1944)

July / August -- A Short Walk in the Hindu Kush by Eric Newby (Leaving Europe...)

September / October -- Voodoo in New Orleans by Robert Tallant (Honor of Halloween and other related cultural holidays in October)

November / December -- Travels with a Donkey in the Cévennes by Robert Louis Stevenson (Returning to Europe.)

Since the topic is nonfiction, I decided to coordinate some of the chosen reads with major events or observations. Exciting and informative reads for next year!

(Planning that helped form schedule below.)
Welcome to all those who enjoy nonfiction classics or want to see what those works have to offer. We now need to work on our planning for next year. Some titles previously suggested for last year will be listed here quite soon. If you would like to suggest any of those titles, the title will count as a new suggestion that will need to be seconded. Feel free to suggest any other titles. You are certainly not limited to titles that have been mentioned before but not covered by the group.

Titles should be at least 50 years old for the original publication date. Remember that nonfiction is still being treated as a bi-monthly group read.

NOTE: PLEASE consider your suggestion wisely. ONLY ONE suggestion per genre / topic for each member will be considered. This will allow a wider variety of suggestions from all Members interested. The Member Wish List threads will close on October 30th.

Suggestions:
Travels with a Donkey in the Cévennes by Robert Louis Stevenson -- Lesle. Second -- Kathy. Third -- Georgina.

A Short Walk in the Hindu Kush by Eric Newby -- Georgina. Second -- Jacquie.

Notes of a Native Son by James Baldwin -- Kathy. Second -- Lesle. Third -- Georgina.

That Quail, Robert by Margaret A. Stanger Second -- Kathy.

A Lady's Life in the Rocky Mountains by Isabella Lucy Bird

Voodoo in New Orleans by Robert Tallant -- Samantha. Second -- Lesle.

Narrative of the Life of Frederick Douglass by Frederick Douglass Second -- Kathy. Third -- Samantha.

Goodbye to All That by Robert Graves Second -- Kathy. Third -- Pam. Fourth -- Bernard.

message 2: by Lesle, Appalachain Bibliophile (new)

Lesle | 5661 comments Mod
I would like to suggest:
Travels with a Donkey in the Cévennes by Robert Louis Stevenson (1879) 156 pages

The Scottish writer’s hike in the French mountains with a donkey is a pioneering classic in outdoor literature – and as influential as his fiction.

message 3: by Kathy (new)

Kathy | 1215 comments That sounds good, Lesle. I'll second.

message 4: by Georgina (last edited Oct 08, 2020 07:31PM) (new)

Georgina (georgiet29) | 234 comments That does sound interesting, I’ll third that.

Can I suggest A Short Walk in the Hindu Kush by Eric Newby 1958 256 pages

message 6: by Georgina (new)

Georgina (georgiet29) | 234 comments Jacquie wrote: "i second A Short Walk in the Hindu Kush byEric Newby"

Thank you :)

message 7: by Lesle, Appalachain Bibliophile (new)

Samantha how many are we looking for?

Here is a list of suggestions we have read a few:
https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

message 8: by Samantha, Cajun Literary Belle (new)

Lesle, as a bimonthly read we will have 6 titles in the final list for 2021. It'd be great to see a solid 10-12 suggested at least. This topic may see a poll next month.

Here is the planning thread from last year that we used titles for 2020. Plenty were suggested, and those read are listed at the top.

https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

Feel free to suggest titles from the threads Lesle and I posted here or other titles!

message 9: by Kathy (new)

Kathy | 1215 comments I’d like to suggest Notes of a Native Son by James Baldwin.

message 10: by Lesle, Appalachain Bibliophile (last edited Oct 12, 2020 03:22AM) (new)

Carol wrote: "That Quail, Robert by Margaret A. Stanger..."

Carol suggested this last year and I highly recommend.

That Quail, Robert by Margaret A. Stanger

message 11: by Lesle, Appalachain Bibliophile (new)

Another one to consider that Kathy brought to light some time ago is A Lady's Life in the Rocky Mountains by Isabella Lucy Bird

message 12: by Lesle, Appalachain Bibliophile (new)

Kathy wrote: "I’d like to suggest Notes of a Native Son by James Baldwin."

I would really like to second this one, thank you Kathy!

message 13: by Georgina (new)

Georgina (georgiet29) | 234 comments Kathy wrote: "I’d like to suggest Notes of a Native Son by James Baldwin."

I'll third this one

message 14: by Samantha, Cajun Literary Belle (new)

I’ll update the suggestions list hopefully by this afternoon or this evening. Y’all keep them coming! Don’t be shy to ask for what you’re interested in. You never know if someone else may be interested in that topic, too.

message 15: by Samantha, Cajun Literary Belle (last edited Oct 12, 2020 05:58PM) (new)

Updated as of 8pm CDT. 10/12/2020.

My own suggestion: Voodoo in New Orleans by Robert Tallant

message 16: by Lesle, Appalachain Bibliophile (new)

Rosemarie has backed this read several times

Narrative of the Life of Frederick Douglass by Frederick Douglass

message 17: by Lesle, Appalachain Bibliophile (new)

Goodbye to All That by Robert Graves written in 1929 about his life and thoughts. Looks very interesting.

message 18: by Kathy (new)

Kathy | 1215 comments I’ll second Frederick Douglas

message 19: by Samantha, Cajun Literary Belle (new)

Updated 12:30 pm CDT 10/14/2020.

Few activity so far with suggestions and seconds. You're invited to read classic nonfiction titles with us next year! Anything you would like to suggest or second that's already been mentioned? New suggestions are also welcome.

message 20: by Samantha, Cajun Literary Belle (new)

Only short of two weeks to go for 2021 planning! Are there any nonfiction classic titles you would like to maybe read next year? The planning thread is still open for suggestions of titles listed here or linked from previous posts or your own suggestions. You may also offer seconds or further for suggestions already given.

message 21: by Kathy (new)

Kathy | 1215 comments Lesle wrote: "Goodbye to All That by Robert Graves written in 1929 about his life and thoughts. Looks very interesting."

I’ll second this.

message 22: by Pam (new)

Pam (bluegrasspam) | 236 comments I will 3rd Goodbye to All That.

message 23: by Bernard (new)

Bernard Smith | 2111 comments A fourth vote for Mister Graves.

message 24: by Samantha, Cajun Literary Belle (new)

Updated 5pm CDT 10/22/2020 .

We have a solid 4 titles for next year. Some others haven't received seconds. Nonfiction is still up for suggestions! If there is a nonfiction classic you'd like to read for next year, feel free to suggest it. Anyone may still second or further any books already suggested. We need 6 titles for next year.

message 25: by Kathy (new)

Kathy | 1215 comments If I have too many seconds and suggestions, just disregard this, Samantha.

I second That Quail, Robert

message 26: by Lesle, Appalachain Bibliophile (new)

If you need one more I will second the Voodoo in New Orleans

message 27: by Samantha, Cajun Literary Belle (new)

Nonfiction Schedule for 2021:

January / February -- Narrative of the Life of Frederick Douglass by Frederick Douglass (Honor of Black History Month in the USA - February)

March / April -- Notes of a Native Son by James Baldwin (Honor of Jazz Appreciation Month in the USA - April)

May / June -- Goodbye to All That by Robert Graves (Honor of V-E Day May 8th, 1945 & D-Day June 6th, 1944)

July / August -- A Short Walk in the Hindu Kush by Eric Newby (Leaving Europe...)

September / October -- Voodoo in New Orleans by Robert Tallant (Honor of Halloween and other related cultural holidays in October)

November / December -- Travels with a Donkey in the Cévennes by Robert Louis Stevenson (Returning to Europe.)

Since the topic is nonfiction, I decided to coordinate some of the chosen reads with major events or observations. Exciting and informative reads for next year!

message 28: by Kathy (new)

Kathy | 1215 comments The schedule looks great, Samantha. Thanks!

message 29: by Samantha, Cajun Literary Belle (new)

You’re welcome, Kathy! I’m looking forward to an great year with our nonfiction classics.