YCLD Book Club discussion

The Graveyard Book
This topic is about The Graveyard Book
October 2020 > Attention Grabber

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Elizabeth (new) - added it

Elizabeth | 30 comments Mod
Were you surprised to read this is considered a book for older children with such a thrilling opening? What were your first impressions? Did this remind you of any other books?

Julieta Calderon | 12 comments Mod
The opening really drew me in. I really want to know who the man Jack is and why he is after this family. So while the first sentence is shocking, it does a good job of hooking you in right away. The beginning of this book made me think of Harry Potter. The both have a little boy as the sole survivor after their family is murdered by a villainous man.

message 3: by Elizabeth (last edited Oct 19, 2020 02:07PM) (new) - added it

Elizabeth | 30 comments Mod
Julieta, I have to admit I was so curious about Jack that after a few chapters I could no longer stand it, and peeked at the later chapters.

This book reminded me of the Goosebumps Series.  When I volunteered in my daughter's classroom listening to oral book reports I was gobsmacked at the mature descriptions of one of stories.  There was this darling little girls telling me in great detail about a murder with all blood and guts.  My reply to this little Sweetheart," does your mom know you are reading these?"  Today it's something that I laugh about pretty regularly.

message 4: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 30 comments Mod
I was also reminded of Roald Dahl's books. James and the Giant Peach - James is orphaned when his parents are eaten by an angry rhino that had escaped from the zoo. The Witches - the main character's parents are killed in a car crash. Perhaps not as shocking as murder, but orphaned children seem to be the premise for many stories.