75 Books...More or Less! discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
2016-2022 Chat > Indigenous Peoples'/Canadian Thanksgiving Readathon!

Comments Showing 1-34 of 34 (34 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Elyse, Moderator (new)

Elyse (winesaboutbooks) | 7833 comments Mod
It's Indigenous Peoples' Day (screw Columbus!) on Monday and also Thanksgiving Day in Canada so that means it's readathon time!

This readathon will go from Friday, Oct 9 - Monday, Oct 12!

What will you be reading this weekend? Will you be reading any spooooky books?

message 3: by Elyse, Moderator (last edited Oct 08, 2020 06:18AM) (new)

I have been in such a reading slump for the past month or so. All I want to do is watch TV. So I have been. Catching up on This Is Us and watching The Boys! :)
Anywho, I'm currently reading The Woman in White by Wilkie Collins for Castle Macabre's Readalong, It by Stephen King but I've hardly touched it, and listening to/reading along with Dracula by Bram Stoker . Basically I want to catch up on the schedule for The Woman in White and finish Dracula. Maybe make a dent in It.

message 4: by Charleen (new)

Charleen (charleenlynette) | 1558 comments Right now I'm reading Skeleton Crew, but I'm thinking I might take a break because my next novel read is Thinner, and I think reading a King novel plus King stories on the side is probably too much King for my brain to keep straight. I also was planning on reading some Edgar Allan Poe this season, so maybe some of that this weekend as well.

And I have a hold on the audiobook of Station Eleven (I know, I'm crazy) and it should be coming in soon, so we'll see.

message 5: by Carol (new)

Carol (carol07) | 2906 comments Yay! A read-a-thon! Unfortunately I am supposed to be camping so I don't think I will get a lot done. :( But I hope to get Maybe You Should Talk to Someone by Lori Gottlieb finished. It is a good book so far.

Lianne (The Towering Pile) Lavoie (liannelavoie) | 523 comments I'm attempting the pre-read-a-thon challenge for Dewey's 24 Hour Read-a-Thon, which requires a whopping 15 books read in the 3 weeks leading up to the event, so I'll be trying to make a dent in that pile!

If I don't finish Are These My Basoomas I See Before Me? before the weekend, finishing that will be my first task. Then I might try to polish off a couple of the shorter books on my stack: The Hidden, The Other, and Ski Weekend are all pretty short. I'll also continue reading my current ebook, Stars In Her Eyes.

message 7: by Shelby (new)

Shelby Suderman | 1816 comments I need this weekend to get plenty of work done because I’ve got a deadline coming up, so I’m not sure how much I’ll be able to join you all. I’d like to finish Rosemary's Baby by Ira Levin this weekend though, and ideally progress in Astronomy for Dummies by Stephen P. Maran and An Ember in the Ashes (An Ember in the Ashes, #1) by Sabaa Tahir .

message 8: by Dawn (new)

Dawn | 8 comments Hello!
First time posting my reads!
Reading The Sirens of Titan from the GAR list, A Conspiracy of Paper and The Stand if it ever arrives, both for book club.

message 9: by writer... (last edited Oct 08, 2020 06:20PM) (new)

writer... (goodreadscomwriter) | 103 comments Elyse wrote: "It's Indigenous Peoples' Day (screw Columbus!) on Monday and also Thanksgiving Day in Canada so that means it's readathon time!

This readathon will go from Friday, Oct 9 - Monday, Oct 12.."

Reading Canadian 🍁📚
Thanks for thinking of us 💡 ! And for hosting 🌟

message 10: by Stacie (new)

Stacie (stacieh) | 1814 comments I've got a bunch of non-reading things I've got to do over the weekend, and I'm watching my great-niece Monday (so all of my reading on that day will be toddler books- I picked up several new books for her so hopefully it won't be the same two books over and over, LOL). I did pick up Joy Harjo's An American Sunrise in honor of the holiday, though, and I'm looking forward to it.

message 11: by Shelby (new)

Shelby Suderman | 1816 comments Just reached chapter 5 in Rosemary's Baby.

message 12: by Juli, Moderator (new)

Juli | 1866 comments Mod
Oh yes!!!!! I finally have a weekend off and I can participate.

My goals are to finish

Real Men Knit by Kwana Jackson Real Men Knit

and to make it through at least one of these ARCs that I am woefully behind on

Stoker's Wilde West by Steven Hopstaken Stoker's Wilde West
Misfits by Hunter Shea Misfits

message 13: by Juli, Moderator (new)

Juli | 1866 comments Mod
Elyse wrote: "I have been in such a reading slump for the past month or so. All I want to do is watch TV. So I have been. Catching up on This Is Us and watching The Boys! :)
Anywho, I'm currently reading [bookc..."

Elyse, I only read 5 books in September because I watched ALL THE TV.

message 14: by Shelby (new)

Shelby Suderman | 1816 comments Sooo my copy of Solutions and Other Problems by Allie Brosh just got here, and I think the logical course of action is to start it.

message 15: by Charleen (new)

Charleen (charleenlynette) | 1558 comments Shelby wrote: "Sooo my copy of Solutions and Other Problems by Allie Brosh just got here, and I think the logical course of action is to start it."

It's the only course of action.

I'm on the waitlist for this at my library, and I. CAN'T. WAIT!

message 16: by Charleen (new)

Charleen (charleenlynette) | 1558 comments I read 3 stories out of Skeleton Crew today. I've read 12 out of the 22 in the collection, and I think that's where I'm going to stop for now. I'll come back to it after reading Thinner.

message 17: by writer... (last edited Oct 09, 2020 07:24PM) (new)

writer... (goodreadscomwriter) | 103 comments Finished WWII hist fic The Medallion by Cathy Gohlke
Now on to Benni Harper myst series #10 Sunshine and Shadow
Both as 🎧 ..reading for Oct LitWits fb grp

message 18: by Elyse, Moderator (last edited Oct 10, 2020 05:57PM) (new)

I finally sunk my teeth into It by Stephen King and got to page 80-ish today.

message 19: by Elyse, Moderator (new)

Juli wrote: "Elyse wrote: "I have been in such a reading slump for the past month or so. All I want to do is watch TV. So I have been. Catching up on This Is Us and watching The Boys! :)
Anywho, I'm currently ..."

haha sometimes it's just what you need!

message 20: by Elyse, Moderator (new)

Shelby wrote: "Sooo my copy of Solutions and Other Problems by Allie Brosh just got here, and I think the logical course of action is to start it."

Excellent! I wish Hoopla had her books!

message 21: by Elyse, Moderator (last edited Oct 11, 2020 06:53AM) (new)

Tomorrow is not a paid day off for me from work but I took it off and brought some work home so I will be doing that this morning while listening to Dracula by Bram Stoker . I have about 3 hours left so I'll either finish it by listening or switch to the e-book, depending on when I stop working. I have never read it before and really did not know anything about it other than preconceived notions. I didn't know it was epistolary. I didn't know there were more than 2 characters, Jonathan Harker and Count Dracula.

I hope to read some graphic novel ARCs today as well. I don't want to turn on the TV until 6pm today! #goals lol

message 22: by writer... (new)

writer... (goodreadscomwriter) | 103 comments Sunday Finished One Plus One by Jojo Moyes 🎧
Deciding on which audio might be next...

message 23: by Shelby (new)

Shelby Suderman | 1816 comments Read a couple chapters of Solutions and Other Problems by Allie Brosh tonight. I need to stay in the right headspace the next few days to finish my current project in time, so I don’t want to get sucked into something right now.

message 24: by Stacie (new)

Stacie (stacieh) | 1814 comments I finished up An American Sunrise by Joy Harjo , and then fell down a YouTube rabbit hole watching more of her performances. I will definitely be reading more of her works.

message 25: by Charleen (new)

Charleen (charleenlynette) | 1558 comments I'm 3 hours into Station Eleven and 257 pages into Thinner, both of which I started on Friday. I'd love to push to finish Thinner today, but it's just a typical Monday for us, which means my husband is working, and I'm balancing a clingy toddler and homeschooling a Kindergartner, so... probably not.

message 26: by Elyse, Moderator (new)

I did finish Dracula by Bram Stoker yesterday and also read Odessa by Jonathan Hill . I made it to page 167 in It by Stephen King . Today I am listening to The Woman in White by Wilkie Collins while working again and then I've got to run some errands.

message 27: by Juli, Moderator (last edited Oct 12, 2020 08:03AM) (new)

Juli | 1866 comments Mod
Ugh, I think I jinxed it writing I can participate lol. In the middle of the night of Friday to Saturday, we had a work emergency that took me all night and all of Saturday to rectify. That threw my sleep schedule off so hard that I ended up feeling foggy all weekend and didn't get much reading done.

I was able to finish Real Men Knit by Kwana Jackson and this morning with coffee I started Mexican Gothic by Silvia Moreno-Garcia since I realized my library copy expires in 3 days. I don't have today off, but I'll try to read more tonight.

message 28: by Lianne (The Towering Pile) (last edited Oct 12, 2020 01:20PM) (new)

Lianne (The Towering Pile) Lavoie (liannelavoie) | 523 comments Haven't had the best weekend for reading, but I finally finished my first book! Since Friday I've read the last 130 pages of Are These My Basoomas I See Before Me? (Confessions of Georgia Nicolson, #10) by Louise Rennison Are These My Basoomas I See Before Me? (Confessions of Georgia Nicholson #10) by Louise Rennison.

I still have some more reading time today, so I'm gonna at least start my next Animorphs book, The Hidden.

message 29: by Carol (last edited Oct 12, 2020 01:36PM) (new)

Carol (carol07) | 2906 comments Well my long weekend plans changed and I could not attend the camping trip so I got a LOT of reading done. Here is what I was able to complete:

The Lost and Found Bookshop by Susan Wiggs Monster, She Wrote The Women Who Pioneered Horror and Speculative Fiction by Lisa Kröger The Duchess of Bloomsbury Street by Helene Hanff Cold Sassy Tree by Olive Ann Burns Maybe You Should Talk to Someone A Therapist, Her Therapist, and Our Lives Revealed by Lori Gottlieb

message 30: by Stacie (new)

Stacie (stacieh) | 1814 comments I listened to about three hours of The Buried Book The Loss and Rediscovery of the Great Epic of Gilgamesh by David Damrosch for myself and the rest of the day was spent reading a whole bunch of toddler books to the great-niece (Operation Introduce New Books So You Can Read Something Other Than Babysitting the Troll Tots was a success, folks! Hallelujah! Tiny T. Rex and the Impossible Hug by Jonathan Stutzman is the current new favorite, in case anyone is wondering, and it is adorable. Which is good, because the second new favorite The Pout-Pout Fish by Deborah Diesen is... not).

message 31: by Charleen (new)

Charleen (charleenlynette) | 1558 comments Final numbers:

Thinner by Richard Bachman 369 pages (out of 423)
Station Eleven by Emily St. John Mandel 4:08 (out of 10:41)

Overall a very productive readathon. I was pleasantly surprised by the 100+ pages I read during the day! It was really tempting to push through the last 50 or so last night, but I had a meeting at the preschool, and when I got home I was just too tired.

Hope everyone else had a good weekend!

Lianne (The Towering Pile) Lavoie (liannelavoie) | 523 comments I did manage to finish another book last night, amazingly! So altogether I read:

Are These My Basoomas I See Before Me? (Confessions of Georgia Nicolson, #10) by Louise Rennison Are These My Basoomas I See Before Me? (last 130 pages)
The Hidden (Animorphs, #39) by K.A. Applegate The Hidden (121 pages)

message 33: by Shelby (new)

Shelby Suderman | 1816 comments I got very little reading done, which was to be expected this weekend. Well done everyone!

message 34: by Elyse, Moderator (new)

Stacie wrote: "I listened to about three hours of The Buried Book The Loss and Rediscovery of the Great Epic of Gilgamesh by David Damrosch for myself and the rest of the day was spent reading a whole bunch of..."

I read the Tiny T-Rex book last weekend, it was adorable!!

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.