What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

UNSOLVED: One specific book > YA 70s book about gang or fighting

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Michael (new)

Michael Accorsi | 1 comments In the early 1980s my school had a book that passed around all the guys in school because it was frighteningly violent.

Here's what I remember: a sketch of a young boy on the cover (perhaps with a knife), there were descriptive fight scenes, and I believe perhaps the main character joined a gang.

I believe there were illustrations in the book from what I can remember. The book was not that long in page length. No more than 80 pages.

I vaguely remember "Run" in the title. But, not sure "Run, something Run" No, not the Outsiders. It was earlier than that I believe. I would have read it in the late 1970s.

I'm currently writing a film script and it was such a formative book, and have been searching for years. Taking a shot it sparks suggestions on here. Apologies for the lack of details.

message 2: by Genesistrine (last edited Oct 09, 2020 02:16AM) (new)

Genesistrine | 388 comments Harlan Ellison's Rumble? (Aka Web of the City.)

message 3: by JennAnn (last edited Oct 09, 2020 03:32AM) (new)

JennAnn | 20 comments Perhaps it was "Run, Baby, Run", by Nicky Cruz? He was a New York gang member who became a Christian and evangelist, and the book is the true story of how this happened.

Initially, I thought it was too old to be the book you are looking for, because I believe the events took place in about the 1950s. But it looks as though it was published only in 1968, so it would fit your time frame. It's actually closely linked - almost a sequel - to a once very famous and popular book called "The Cross and the Switchblade". That was about David Wilkerson's work with young New York gang members and if I remember correctly (it was back in the seventies when I read the two books as well!) - Nicky Cruz was one of the young gang members mentioned in that, who seemed the least likely ever to become a Christian. I, too, remember it as a very powerful book. I believe it has already been made into a movie, but maybe it's time for the remake!

message 4: by Kris (new)

Kris | 35397 comments Mod
Michael, that's a good start, but we need more information in the header at the top of the page. Many members only read the headers. We have thousands of YA requests.

Copy more plot details from your message #1 to the header by clicking the small "edit" link after the header. This only works on the full Desktop website - not the Mobile website or app. (On the Mobile website, there's a "Desktop version" link at the bottom of the page.)

message 5: by Dan (new)

Dan Daines | 8 comments I believe JennAnn is correct. Run Baby Run is probably the book which was read by millions of middle and high schoolers. I heard Nick Cruz speak about his story. A key plot point was describing how to build a zip-gun from a car antenna, and when when Nick shot a kid across the street with a small revolver, for no real reason.