The YA Dystopian Book Club discussion

Discussion > Goodreads bookshelves...

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Todd (new)

Todd Tellef I'm not sure where to put this, hoping this is the right folder...I've been nosing around other peoples pages and noticed that a lot of people have a TON of shelves in their goodreads account. How do you decide which book goes where and how many shelves to shelve them in? What is too many shelves? I understand the basics, ie owned, borrowed etc. Is it just me being new or do some people overly complicate the shelving of their books for others? I'm guessing it makes sense to the owner but for others?? Maybe someone can help me better understand some of the shelving techniques...

message 2: by Alison (new)

Alison Morquecho (thebookishcamper) | 525 comments Hmm, I organize mine with read, to read, and tbr. Which I think r standard. Also I put the year it is like 2015 and new. Because sometimes I do rereads so I like to keep up with what I've read for the year, and what new books I've read. :) don't know if that's what u were looking for thought

message 3: by Jessica (new)

Jessica Folded Between the Pages of Books (jessilovesbooks) | 364 comments I think it's just whatever works best for you. I used to just have the basic read, currently reading, and to read, but as I added more books, I wanted more shelves to organize them all. Once my to read list got over 300, it was really hard to decide what to read next - it was too overwhelming! So I added shelves to prioritize books - I have a "must read asap" shelf and a shelf for books that aren't out yet but that I want to read as soon as they are. And I have shelves by genre so if I'm in a contemporary mood I can pick that rather than another genre. It's also useful when people ask for suggestions: someone asked me recently to recommend some good dystopians, so it was easier to just look at that shelf rather than slog through my whole read list. I also have different shelves for my non-fiction books - I'm finishing up a PhD which means lots of reading. But it'd be weird and confusing to have those mixed in with my fun reading, so I have those on separate shelves.

So yeah, whatever works for you. As a newbie, you probably don't need to organize into a bunch of different shelves. Unless you want to. But the longer you're on Goodreads, the more books you add and more shelves can help organize it.

Jessica (The Psychotic Nerd) (goldenfurproductions) I know I have A TON of shelves, and it's a bit of a mess, but I have a huge problem when it comes to organizing and creating lists, so I just create all this different shelves. Really, it's just me being crazy. I think it really depends on the person who creates the shelves. If only three shelves work out for you, then that's just fine. I just need hundreds for some reason...

message 5: by Todd (new)

Todd Tellef Thanks for your input guys...pushing a few ideas around in my head right now...we'll see how it goes