Ranters and Reviewers discussion

Book Nooks > Liz’s Nook

Comments Showing 1-50 of 145 (145 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth (theenigmatic) | 418 comments These nook topics are neat. So I guess I’ll post new reviews/bookish updates here later?

I’m procrastinating too much as it is, so yes, later.

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

Hey Liz!

message 3: by andrea (new)

andrea (taylor’s version) | 299 comments Hi Liz! Great to meet you!

message 4: by Sofia, duckish things (new)

Sofia (sofloaf) | 3144 comments Mod
Hey Liz! Yep, these nooks are for random bookish thoughts and new reviews and general updates :)

message 5: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth (theenigmatic) | 418 comments Late-ish last night I came up with this—
Formulaic Fantasy Book Title game!
Basically, match a word on one side to a word on the other, adding “of” in between, and “the” or “a” as needed. I realize some combos make books that already exist (like “Queen of Shadow”) and some won’t make any sense lol.
And if you really want, add a second word on the right side to your title, making it “A blank of blank of blank” XD

1-Left Side

Curse
Daughter
Empire
Fall
Gods
Heir
Intrigue
Judge
Kingdom
Legend
Master
Nemesis
Oracle
Prophecy
Queen
Reign
Song
Throne
Union
Vow
Warrior
Year

2-Right side

Ashes
Bones
Crows
Dawn
Ember
Flames
Gold
Hail
Ice
Jade
Knowledge
Light
Mayhem
Night
Obsidian
Paradise
Quartz
Ruin
Shadow
Thieves
Untold
Vengeance
Wind
Yore

message 6: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth (theenigmatic) | 418 comments Also I reviewed Daughter of Smoke and Bone here:

https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

message 7: by Sofia, duckish things (new)

Heir of Flames and Shadows 👌

message 8: by Sofia, duckish things (new)

Awesome review!

message 9: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth (theenigmatic) | 418 comments Sofia wrote: "Awesome review!"

Thanks Sofia!

message 10: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth (theenigmatic) | 418 comments I've always had a problem with duologies. They're just one book short of a trilogy, which, in my opinion, is the way to go. Plus if you feel in-the-middle about the first book, you feel obligated to read the second, since there's only one book left...(Looking at you, Six of Crows)

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

@reliz i don't think i've actually read a duology before lol

message 12: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth (theenigmatic) | 418 comments Nikki wrote: "@reliz i don't think i've actually read a duology before lol"

Really? I think they’re a newer YA trend. The first one I read was Warcross/Wildcard, which I think I read earlier last year.

message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

idk if you have any duology recomendations I'd love to hear them!

message 14: by LyraFirefly (new)

LyraFirefly (bookishmusicalfeminist) I know you didn't ask me, but The star-Touched Queen is good, and the 2nd book is on my looong TBR.

message 15: by Sofia, duckish things (new)

I like duologies a lot. Trilogies actually annoy me sometimes... I mean, occasionally they're good, but sometimes series that don't need to be that long get stretched out

message 16: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth (theenigmatic) | 418 comments Nikki wrote: "idk if you have any duology recomendations I'd love to hear them!"

I haven’t read a whole ton but...
-Everless by Sara Holland (YA fantasy)
-Warcross by Marie Lu (YA sci-fi)
-The Wrath and the Dawn by Renee Ahdieh (YA fantasy)

My personal favorite duology is Strange the Dreamer by Laini Taylor (Mature YA fantasy) BUT warning the writing is really flowery.

My keyboard does not recognize the word “duology” for some reason.

message 17: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth (theenigmatic) | 418 comments LuminescentFirefly wrote: "I know you didn't ask me, but The star-Touched Queen is good, and the 2nd book is on my looong TBR."

I’ve seen that around Goodreads, so maybe I’ll check it out!

message 18: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth (theenigmatic) | 418 comments Sofia wrote: "I like duologies a lot. Trilogies actually annoy me sometimes... I mean, occasionally they're good, but sometimes series that don't need to be that long get stretched out"

I agree.

message 19: by Sofia, duckish things (new)

Oo, I can't wait to read Strange the Dreamer! I just got my copy in the mail.

message 20: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth (theenigmatic) | 418 comments Sofia wrote: "Oo, I can't wait to read Strange the Dreamer! I just got my copy in the mail."

Yay!! The beginning is hard to get into but then the story gets really good.

message 21: by Sofia, duckish things (new)

It's the same with The Bear and the Nightingale, which I'm reading now.

message 22: by Sofia, duckish things (new)

Yesssss!

message 23: by andrea (new)

andrea (taylor’s version) | 299 comments Do it!

message 24: by LyraFirefly (new)

LyraFirefly (bookishmusicalfeminist) YAS

message 25: by LyraFirefly (new)

LyraFirefly (bookishmusicalfeminist) I will just say, I am still a tween, maybe I'll eventually grow out of it, but for the time being, I love the Land of Stories, but Keeper of the Lost Cities is what I am reading right now. I was not obsessed with the fairy tale derivations, and actually, I didn't like any of them except this one. So yeah, just my opinion. Though I agree about the cheesiness aspect.

message 26: by Sofia, duckish things (new)

I LOVE THAT

message 27: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth (theenigmatic) | 418 comments LuminescentFirefly {~Cuz Princesses Don't Cry~} wrote: "I will just say, I am still a tween, maybe I'll eventually grow out of it, but for the time being, I love the Land of Stories, but Keeper of the Lost Cities is what I am reading right now. I was no..."

That’s okay. I still love some books I read as a tween but outgrew others. Yeah, and I read ALL the retelling. XD

message 28: by andrea (new)

andrea (taylor’s version) | 299 comments Not gonna lie...when I was in fifth grade my friends LOVED Land of Stories and Keeper of the Lost Cities and I never really fell into the hype. The whole stories vibe never exactly sat right with me...I feel like it was TOO fantasy if you know what I mean

message 29: by [deleted user] (new)

I am really into keeper of the lost cities also, but I feel like it's kinda my guilty read bc a lot of people I know don't like it. it's one of my favorites tho haha

message 30: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth (theenigmatic) | 418 comments Nikki wrote: "I am really into keeper of the lost cities also, but I feel like it's kinda my guilty read bc a lot of people I know don't like it. it's one of my favorites tho haha"

We all have our own opinions and that’s perfectly fine :) I actually think the series is pretty popular, Neverseen I think is the highest rated book on Goodreads I’ve read.

message 31: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth (theenigmatic) | 418 comments andrea wrote: "Not gonna lie...when I was in fifth grade my friends LOVED Land of Stories and Keeper of the Lost Cities and I never really fell into the hype. The whole stories vibe never exactly sat right with m..."

I can understand that. I never knew there was a lot of hype surrounding Land of Stories, I just picked it up one day and thought “This looks good” lol

message 32: by Ayesha (new)

Ayesha (ayeshareader) | 293 comments Hi Liz! Lol looks like you guys talked a lot while i was sleeping😂

message 33: by Sofia, duckish things (new)

I loved Land of Stories when I was in maybe fifth grade?

message 34: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth (theenigmatic) | 418 comments Ayesha wrote: "Hi Liz! Lol looks like you guys talked a lot while i was sleeping😂"

Hi Ayesha! It must be the time zones. I'm currently on Pacific, which means it's probably earlier where I live.

message 35: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth (theenigmatic) | 418 comments Sofia wrote: "I loved Land of Stories when I was in maybe fifth grade?"

Honestly I can't remember what grade I read it.

message 36: by Ayesha (new)

Ayesha (ayeshareader) | 293 comments ReLiz ⚡️ wrote: "Ayesha wrote: "Hi Liz! Lol looks like you guys talked a lot while i was sleeping😂"

Hi Ayesha! It must be the time zones. I'm currently on Pacific, which means it's probably earlier where I live."

Yeah probably
Also i got a TON of homework so I got little time on my hands😭

message 37: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth (theenigmatic) | 418 comments Here are my latest reviews: (I’m behind)
Chosen Ones: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...
Spellslinger: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

The Cruel Prince is next...I’ll (hopefully) get it reviewed soon.

message 38: by Sofia, duckish things (new)

Oo, I love The Cruel Prince! Also, those are really great reviews!

message 39: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth (theenigmatic) | 418 comments Thanks, Sofia!

message 40: by andrea (new)

andrea (taylor’s version) | 299 comments I love your reviews! They’re so in depth.

message 41: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth (theenigmatic) | 418 comments Thank you, Andrea!

message 42: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth (theenigmatic) | 418 comments I have a really weird desire to read this book that I know I’ll hate. I need to be persuaded otherwise.

message 43: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth (theenigmatic) | 418 comments Wow I actually rated a book five stars.

The Cruel Prince Review: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

message 44: by Sofia, duckish things (new)

ReLiz wrote: "I have a really weird desire to read this book that I know I’ll hate. I need to be persuaded otherwise."

1) Sometimes I just need to rant, you know?
2) THE CRUEL PRINCE IS SO GOOD AHHH
3) Great review!

message 45: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth (theenigmatic) | 418 comments Does anyone know how to insert images/gifs on GR? Do you have to have the app or a specific browser? Whenever I try to add a GIF it does work.

ATheReader- check my bio (teenagereaderya) | 2798 comments I second that question. I have never been able to insert a GIF.

message 47: by Sofia, duckish things (new)

Try looking it up, copying the image, and then doing control v or whatever to paste it. That should work.

ATheReader- check my bio (teenagereaderya) | 2798 comments I'll be sure to try that in my next review!

ATheReader- check my bio (teenagereaderya) | 2798 comments Thank you :)

message 50: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth (theenigmatic) | 418 comments Oh haha that’s why. I don’t use a laptop for Goodreads, only my phone and/or tablet.

« previous 1 3