What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Query abandoned by poster > ABANDONED. Children's book about girl in silent film

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sidney (new)

Sidney | 10 comments I did an elementary school book report in 1994 on a book that had some wear and tear (possibly from the 80s or before) about a young girl that stumbles upon a silent film production and gets cast in one of the roles. Cannot remember the name, but the book was oddly large (maybe wider than tall - stuck out on bookshelf). It was mostly a chapter book but it seems like there were few illustrations as well. I'd love to track this book down!

It seems like the girl was skipping school to be in the movie and one of the actresses showed her how to apply greasepaint. I think her parents find out in the end and that she's been in a movie, and they watch it together.

message 2: by Lisa (new)

message 3: by Kris (new)

Kris | 33236 comments Mod
Lisa's suggestion of Smokescreen looks promising. Here are some descriptions from Amazon:

"The year is 1907 and 11-year-old Chrissie's father leaves home in search of work. Chrissie is determined that she and her two younger brothers should not be dependent on their grandmother so she decides to find herself a job. She persuades a man in the moving picture business to try her for a part."

"To pursue work in another part of England Chrissie's father has again left her and her two younger brothers alone. The feisty protagonist does all she can to keep the family together, including playing a boy in one of the first silent movies."

message 4: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 37753 comments Mod
Deleting duplicate thread, which began:

I read this obscure book around 1995. I remember it having an odd-sized cover (longer than it was tall) with a full color picture that wrapped from front to back. It is set in the early 1900s, and involves a girl stumbling upon the filming of a movie. She becomes involved in the production, wearing grease paint to act in the black and white film. I believe she also worked to keep her involvement a secret from her family and friends. The main story is about the production of the film and those involved.

In the other thread, Julai suggested Miranda and the Movies.

message 5: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Sidney, are you still looking for this? Was it either book suggested?

message 6: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

No response. Moving to Abandoned.