What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

UNSOLVED: One specific book > Regency Romance. Woman lives in her uncle's house, courted by neighbor.

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 2 comments This was a Regency/Historical romance. The heroine was shy orphan, possibly with a stutter, who lived with her odious uncle, who spent all her money and ruined her parent's house. The hero was a neighbor, possibly the best friend's older brother who lived close by. I think part of the story was him helping her become less shy, and falling in love during it. Part of the plot was her uncle would host large hunting/drinking parties with lots of friends equally as awful. SPOILER: One of the random plot points I remember is that one of her uncle's friends was actually trying to help her, but for some reason couldn't reveal this. The friend purposely made himself smell bad, like cabbages, so the heroine wouldn't get too close/try to befriend him.
I read this sometime between 2010 and 2018. Don't remember what the cover looked like. I think it was part of a series, possibly about a group of girl friends.

Amber (Daisymau) (daisymau) | 1282 comments This sounds familiar. I'll have to think about it and try to remember the title or author.

Amber (Daisymau) (daisymau) | 1282 comments One of these books?

Devil in Winter by Lisa Kleypas.
The Gamekeeper's Lady by Ann Lethbridge.

message 4: by Rachel (last edited Oct 09, 2020 07:13PM) (new)

Rachel | 2 comments Not Devil in Winter, although I love that book.

Don't think it's The Gamekeeper's Lady, but have started reading it to make sure. Will let you know!

message 5: by Kris (new)

Kris | 35348 comments Mod
Here's the Google Books preview of The Gamekeeper's Lady by Ann Lethbridge - Amber's suggestion:

https://books.google.com/books?id=skg... There are different cover images.