Goulburn readers and writers discussion

Book chat > General book chat

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Chris (new)

Chris (gordo65) | 7 comments Mod
A good place for any random chat about books

message 2: by Chris (last edited Jan 18, 2015 05:38PM) (new)

Aurealis magazine is an Australian scifi/fantasy/horror magazine that's now going into it's 25th year. It publishes 10 times a year (each month except January and December) and contains some great locally written (and in many cases locally themed) speculative short fiction.

Since late 2011 the magazine has been available electronically only. I have a suspicion that it doesn't have many subscribers, which is a shame when it only costs $20 a year for 10 issues. I'd urge any of you that can spare $20 a year to subscribe and help keep it afloat because along with being a great read and great value, it supports local writers and deserves our support in return. http://aurealis.com.au/

message 3: by Craig (new)

Craig Fisher | 4 comments I have and E-reader but I never use it. Aurealis is my cup of tea as I currently subscribe to Analog and Asimov's however it is a shame they do electronic only.

message 4: by Craig (new)

Craig Fisher | 4 comments I'm currently flying through the Malazan Books of the Fallen by Steven Erikson. I cannot believe I did not pick these up earlier as I'm loving the characters and had a really good cry after the second book especially.

I had gone off Fantasy after reading the Wheel of Time series (an emotional wreck after Memory of Light the last) as I had connected really well with the characters.

I also couldn't pick up a book for many weeks after finishing the Hyperion and Endymion books by Dan Simmons and rate these as my #1 Sci Fi books of all time although the science/speculative parts were limited my emotional connection to the heroine Aenea in Endymion was so strong.

message 5: by Phillip (new)

Phillip | 6 comments I have recently bought a copy of Crow Mellow by Braidwood writer and publisher Julian Davies. It is illustrated by former Goulburn resident Phillip Day. It is a reimagining of Aldous Huxley’s first novel (from 1921), Crome Yellow. It looks very interesting; while it is a novel it has illustrations on every page. It has had some good reviews too.

http://finlaylloyd.com

http://www.smh.com.au/entertainment/b...

message 6: by Phillip (new)

Phillip | 6 comments Just wondering if anyone here has read Tim Winton's The Riders? Finished it about 2 weeks ago and found it to be a frustrating read. I loved Dirt Music, however the characters in The Riders irritated me while his descriptions of place where fantastic.

Anyone have an opinion?

message 7: by catherine (last edited Feb 09, 2015 06:21PM) (new)

catherine | 3 comments I was reading 'Freedom' by Jonathan Franzen. I guess I got about a third of the way through. Even that far was a struggle and took me about 2 weeks. I don't care what happens to the characters, I don't like them very much. It's not even interesting like 'The Slap'. I hated those characters, but I kinda liked that book.
'Freedom' has a 304-word sentence (I counted) and a lot of what I have read so far is written in an autobiographical style, where the character keeps referring to herself in the third person, as in 'in this autobiographer's opinion' when she is describing something that happened to her or that she did. I found it very tiresome. I read a review that said the writing was technically brilliant. I am calling it incredibly boring and don't think I will finish it. However, this does not sit well with me, I can't think of any other book I have started and not finished. Anyone else have any examples?

message 8: by Phillip (new)

Phillip | 6 comments I make a point of finishing every book I start. Having said this Ulysses I have attempted on at least 6 occasions and have failed miserably.

message 9: by Phillip (new)

Phillip | 6 comments Chris you need to hit up aurealis for commission. I just subscribed.

message 10: by Penny (new)

Penny | 2 comments Just finished the first book in the Clifton Chronicles. I loved it! Thank goodness for my Kindle reader, I don't have to wait to go to the bookshop to buy the next instalment.

message 11: by Chris (last edited Feb 11, 2015 12:56PM) (new)

Phillip wrote: "Chris you need to hit up aurealis for commission. I just subscribed. "

I SHOULD you know... but it's a cheap, quality magazine and an important resource for Aussie writers. It needs to keep running at LEAST until you or I get a story in there Phil.