Read Women discussion

Read Women Chat > Nat'l Hispanic Heritage Month - Recommended Reads

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Carol (last edited Oct 06, 2020 03:42PM) (new)

Carol (carolfromnc) | 2091 comments Mod
In the US, National Hispanic Heritage Month is celebrated starting September 15 and running through October 15. As you can tell, this post is a bit late, but we've still got 9 days to share our favorite reads and lists of books that celebrate, "the contributions Americans tracing their roots to Spain, Mexico, Central America, South American and the Spanish-speaking nations of the Caribbean have made to American society and culture," according to the U.S. Census Bureau.

Over the course of the 30-day period, Costa Rica, El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras, Nicaragua, Mexico and Chile celebrate their independence days.

To kick off, here's a list of 47 books recommended by Arizona experts (includes male authors)

https://www.azcentral.com/story/enter...

This list of 10 Captivating Books by Latina Authors is from 2019, so accessibility is more broad.

https://offtheshelf.com/2019/09/capti...

So .. what are your top 3 - 5 recommended books by Latina authors? Have you encountered any great lists this year? Share them here.

message 2: by Joelle.P.S (new)

Joelle.P.S | 7 comments I recently enjoyed Sabrina & Corina: Stories by Kali Fajardo-Anstine and Mexican Gothic by Silvia Moreno-Garcia.

At one point I'd read most of Isabel Allende's books, but she's quite prolific, and I've fallen behind in recent years.

message 3: by Carol (new)

Joelle.P.S wrote: "I recently enjoyed Sabrina & Corina: Stories by Kali Fajardo-Anstine and Mexican Gothic by Silvia Moreno-Garcia.

At one point I'd..."

Thanks for reminding me of both. I know Gothic is at my library and I"ll check on Sabrina & Corina.

message 4: by Hannah (new)

Hannah | 465 comments I enjoyed Sabrina & Corina: Stories too even though I don't usually go for short stories. I also liked Umami by Laia Jufresa and loved In the Time of the Butterflies by Julia Alvarez

message 5: by Carol (last edited Nov 23, 2020 10:40AM) (new)

SheReads: "Most Anticipated Latinx Books of 2021" offers 7 interesting and accessible reading recommendations, all of which have H1 release dates. Start pestering your libraries to purchase them.

https://shereads.com/most-anticipated...

Jan 5: One of the Good Ones by Maika Moulite and Maritza Moulite

Feb 2: Fat Chance, Charlie Vega by Crystal Maldonado

Feb 23: Infinite Country by Patricia Engel

March 2: What's Mine and Yours by Naima Coster

March 2: The Soul of a Woman by Isabel Allende

March 16: The Mirror Season by Anna-Marie McLemore

April 6: Of Women and Salt by Gabriela Garcia

message 6: by Claire (last edited Nov 24, 2020 01:51AM) (new)

Claire (clairemcalpine) | 107 comments I've read a few books by the Cuban -American prose poet Margarita Engle, she is such a wonderful storyteller in a simple, heartfelt way, her books equally can be read by young people or adults.

The first one I read was The Wild Book a story about a girl diagnosed with "word blindness".

It is a tribute in verse inspired by stories told to her by her maternal grandmother, a young girl growing up in rural Cuba, struggling with dyslexia.

I also read The Poet Slave of Cuba: A Biography of Juan Francisco Manzano and I have The Surrender Tree: Poems of Cuba's Struggle for Freedom on my shelf still to read.

I also recommend having really enjoyed Dreaming in Cuban by Cristina García.

I'd love to read more from this broader cultural influence. Some of my favourite books and writers come from parts of the Caribbean, mostly writing in English or French but I'm not as familiar with the Spanish influenced areas.

message 7: by Carol (new)

Claire wrote: "I've read a few books by the Cuban -American prose poet Margarita Engle, she is such a wonderful storyteller in a simple, heartfelt way, her books equally can be read by young peopl..."

i'll look for Engle. Thanks for these recs, claire.