Tournament of Books discussion

Cloud Atlas
This topic is about Cloud Atlas
2020 Super Rooster -Tourney! > Opening Rounds 2005-2012

Comments Showing 1-42 of 42 (42 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Amy (last edited Oct 07, 2020 11:05AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lauren Oertel | 967 comments Thanks for setting these up!

message 3: by Bob (new) - rated it 4 stars

Bob Lopez | 394 comments It’s...today right??

Ellen H | 794 comments I keep hoping and refreshing...

Lauren Oertel | 967 comments Yes, we should get the email any minute now!

Adam (ajship) | 23 comments The banner on their website now reads “Tomorrow. TOMORROW! The Super Rooster will crow!”

That’s different from how the website banner read earlier this morning, when it just linked to the Super ToB announcement and list of books and judges. So, despite the 10/7 start date per the announcement, it’s looking like it’ll actually be 10/8. :(

Nadine in California (nadinekc) | 603 comments I just started The Accidental last night, so it gives me a slight reprieve ;)

Jason Perdue | 630 comments Adam wrote: "The banner on their website now reads “Tomorrow. TOMORROW! The Super Rooster will crow!”

That’s different from how the website banner read earlier this morning, when it just linked to the Super To..."

But, they didn't change the date on the linked article.

BooksBeyondMeasure | 7 comments That’s the banner I saw yesterday.

message 10: by Adam (new) - rated it 5 stars

Adam (ajship) | 23 comments BooksBeyondMeasure wrote: "That’s the banner I saw yesterday."

Fingers crossed it's still today. I would way rather be misinterpreting the banner than have to wait, lol.

Brenda Baker | 34 comments Just a teaser today...

Ellen H | 794 comments Well...damn. That's an anticlimax if I ever saw one.

https://themorningnews.org/article/an...

message 13: by Amy (last edited Oct 07, 2020 10:41AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Amy (asawatzky) | 1739 comments It's up!!
---- 5 min later edit. Ah, I see. we are replacing the play-in round with.... chit-chat. Dang. Now I understand why my bracket dates didn't line up with an Oct 30th finish. (off to edit those threads!)

message 14: by Amy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Amy (asawatzky) | 1739 comments Nadine wrote: "I just started The Accidental last night, so it gives me a slight reprieve ;)"

yep - I'm with you! time for some speed reading!

Peggy | 197 comments Excellent judgment today (I was rooting for Cloud Atlas over The Accidental) and loved the booth commentary as well. A great start to the Super Rooster. It's HEEEEERE!

message 18: by Amy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Amy (asawatzky) | 1739 comments I was pleasantly surprised at both the length and the depth of the Booth commentary today. I don't know if that is because we are considering the new-classics this round rather than a simple opinion over a match-up or if they just wanted to start the Super Rooster off with a bang, but I really hope for as much reflection in subsequent commentary!

message 19: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Arnold | 897 comments Amy wrote: "I was pleasantly surprised at both the length and the depth of the Booth commentary today. I don't know if that is because we are considering the new-classics this round rather than a simple opinio..."

I agree! It was so thoughtful/insightful, and expressed so well, I really enjoyed reading it.

Lauren Oertel | 967 comments Yes, I’m happy my bracket remains intact after today, and I also appreciated the booth commentary. :)

Heidi (heidikatherine) | 92 comments One: today’s judgement is up: https://themorningnews.org/tob/superr...

Two: I didn’t have the brain space to read all the books this round, or engage too much in the conversation, but I’m loving reading all your thoughts behind my little phone screen! Vive el Rooster!

Jason Perdue | 630 comments Wow. I've been conflicted about this match-up as I think both books have not aged well. I haven't read either book since they came out, but I did love Oscar Wao more at the time and would have picked it to win if it was just about the words on the page; but it never is.

message 23: by Amy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Amy (asawatzky) | 1739 comments Jason wrote: "Wow. I've been conflicted about this match-up as I think both books have not aged well. I haven't read either book since they came out, but I did love Oscar Wao more at the time and would have pick..."

agreed Jason - it never is. this was definitely a surprise decision in my book.

message 24: by Jayme (new)

Jayme Ugghh - I went back and forth on this round. I should have went with my gut instinct.

message 25: by Jason (last edited Oct 09, 2020 03:54PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jason Perdue | 630 comments I think what we're witnessing in the first two matches is that the ToB staff have known the 16 books since March and 15 of them for over a year. That long lead time probably means the judges were picked much earlier in the process and given more time than a normal ToB to write two great judgments.

message 26: by Amy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Amy (asawatzky) | 1739 comments wow - only 2 bracket predictors picked Oscar for the win this round!

Bretnie | 504 comments Amy wrote: "wow - only 2 bracket predictors picked Oscar for the win this round!"

Not surprising!

I thought it was an interesting discussion today.

I'm really loving the commentary this week, reflecting on context of the book when it was written/when we read it. Judging a book right after you read it vs many years later - what sticks with you vs what fades. It'll be interesting to compare the discussion with the more recent books.

Lauren Oertel | 967 comments It just took me about two hours to read through today's commentary and after just replying to one comment, I'm too exhausted to write my own official statement on this judgement. I'm surprised, not thrilled about the method or outcome, but appreciate the dialogue it sparked.

Nadine in California (nadinekc) | 603 comments Amy wrote: "Nadine wrote: "I just started The Accidental last night, so it gives me a slight reprieve ;)"

yep - I'm with you! time for some speed reading!"

Didn't quite make it in time, but I finished The Accidental tonight and read the decision immediately afterward. Fantastic judging and commentary - I resonated with every word, even when it didn't match my experience. I'm not sure I'll ever find another book that tops Cloud Atlas - although if it had to duke it out with Freshwater, I think my head would explode.

Jason Perdue | 630 comments These judgments and commentary really have been Super.

Phyllis | 333 comments Nadine wrote: "Amy wrote: "Nadine wrote: "I just started The Accidental last night, so it gives me a slight reprieve ;)"

yep - I'm with you! time for some speed reading!"

Didn't quite make it in time, but I fin..."

Oh my gosh, yes, I think Cloud Atlas is likely to remain my number one favorite book for all time. But now, Nadine, you've caused me to order a copy of Freshwater; how did I not know about it before your comment? Thank you!

Peggy | 197 comments Today's judgment was one of my favorites...maybe ever...or at least since I've been following the ToB. And I would've gone the other way, as Wolf Hall is one of my all time favorite books, but I still just loved his reasoning. Beautifully written.

So far the Super Rooster is pretty darn Super.

Nadine in California (nadinekc) | 603 comments Phyllis wrote: "Oh my gosh, yes, I think Cloud Atlas is likely to remain my number one favorite book for all time. But now, Nadine, you've caused me to order a copy of Freshwater; how did I not know about it before your comment? Thank you! ..."

I hope Freshwater does to you what it did to me!

So far, this really is the ultimate rooster of all roosters. The judging has been superb!

message 35: by Amy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Amy (asawatzky) | 1739 comments Last of the opening rounds from the left side of the bracket - https://themorningnews.org/tob/superr...

message 36: by Kip (last edited Oct 13, 2020 10:31AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kip Kyburz (kybrz) | 241 comments Sisters Brothers was my gateway into the Tournament of Books and, honestly, into literary fiction and conversations around it (even though it does have genre undertrappings). I just loved this funny, weird book and it led to an even funnier and weirder tournament. Good Squad is fantastic, but Patrick deWitt has my devotion, Undermajordomo Minor is the funniest book I have ever read and likely in my top 3-5 books ever.

Happy to see it advance, but would have been happy with either.

message 37: by Amy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Amy (asawatzky) | 1739 comments Wasn't Undermajordomo Minor an "alt-TOB" book and not in the 'real' TOB?

message 38: by Kip (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kip Kyburz (kybrz) | 241 comments It’s in the TOB of my heart.

Bretnie | 504 comments Kip wrote: "It’s in the TOB of my heart."

Ha :)

I'm loving the discussions so far. It's a different feel than the normal TOB, as it should be.

Nadine in California (nadinekc) | 603 comments Kip wrote: "Sisters Brothers was my gateway into the Tournament of Books and, honestly, into literary fiction and conversations around it (even though it does have genre undertrappings). I just loved this funn..."

I just discovered that Goon Squad beat out Skippy Dies in the original tournament and Bad Marie was taken down by Room. Nine years after the fact I have to scream NOOOOOOOOOO

message 41: by Kip (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kip Kyburz (kybrz) | 241 comments Nadine wrote: "I just discovered that Goon Squad beat out Skippy Dies in the original tournament and Bad Marie was taken down by Room. Nine years after the fact I have to scream NOOOOOOOOOO"

I recently acquired Skippy Dies, never read before but its on seasonal TBR (my TBR is out of control, so I keep a separate list where I put titles for the next 3 months, I can only choose to read books from this list until they are all gone)

message 42: by Kyle (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kyle | 332 comments Skippy Dies is exceptional.