Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Book Issues > Another Author was attached to my book!

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by William (new)

William Bartlett | 3 comments There is another author with the same name and I am unable to claim my book as an author. How do I go about this? It doesn't say 'is this you?' at the bottom of the author page as it describes in the help section of how to claim my author page.
Please help?!
How is this still an issue after so many years???

message 2: by Suzi (new)

Suzi | 8667 comments William wrote: "There is another author with the same name and I am unable to claim my book as an author. How do I go about this? It doesn't say 'is this you?' at the bottom of the author page as it describes in t..."

please provide a link to the book and I'll see what's going on.

message 3: by Suzi (new)

Suzi | 8667 comments William wrote: "There is another author with the same name and I am unable to claim my book as an author. How do I go about this? It doesn't say 'is this you?' at the bottom of the author page as it describes in t..."

I'm not sure what you mean by so many years, but when there are multiple authors with the identical names, it often takes human intervention to circumvent automatic imports.

The existing William Bartlett author profile cannot be claimed by anyone else, because another of the many authors named William Bartlett has already claimed it, so the "claim" option is unavailable there.

This human was also able to disambiguate the author name "William Bartlett", and with some judicious detective work determine that you likely are in search of a unique author profile for this work:

Why Your Book Sucks: And Why You Can't Get Published

on this author profile: William Bartlett

If this is indeed your book and thence your profile, you may claim it by scrolling to the bottom of the author profile page and clicking on the hyperlink that says "click here".

Important information to know:

1. Goodreads disambiguates between authors of the same name with spaces before the last name.

2. This author profile has 3 spaces: William^^^Bartlett where the ^ equals a space. For a book to go to that profile the author name must be formatted exactly to that convention.

3. When automatic imports from Amazon or any of the other publishing sites occur, those works systemically go by default to the profile with only one space.

4. It is a simple matter for a human Goodreads librarian to move it if this occasions. Just post in this forum to have it moved.