Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

The Key and the Crescent (Darkdrifters, #1)
This topic is about The Key and the Crescent
Book Issues > Author name change / cover change

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

M.J. Newman (feonix) | 13 comments Hi!

I'm the author of this book and I was hoping I could make some changes now that I'm a Goodreads Author, but apparently I still need librarian status in order to change things. There are two things I wanted to change.

1) My name isn't Matthew Newman anymore, I've started going by MJ Newman, so I would love it if my author name could be updated to MJ instead of Matthew. I don't have any past books published under Matthew and this book's very first print run is actually under MJ, so it should be simple enough to just swap the first name, right?

2) Accordingly, the cover of this book has been updated with the name change, so I'd like the cover to be swapped too. You can find the new cover here: https://i.imgur.com/e0d9JEg.jpg

Thank you!

M.J. Newman (feonix) | 13 comments Could somebody please help with this?

Thank you!

message 3: by Mantvydas (last edited Oct 07, 2020 08:48PM) (new)

Mantvydas | 1093 comments First, you can't change the author, but you can update other fields with books assigned to your profile.

As for your name, librarians can't change profiles of Goodreads Authors. You need to contact the staff about this. Link here: https://www.goodreads.com/about/conta...

M.J. Newman (feonix) | 13 comments I'm confused. When I try to change my name, I get this message:

"Sorry, only users with librarian status can edit book and author data. If you would like librarian status, then please apply here."

So librarians *can't* change this?

Can a librarian at least alter the book cover and I'll contact staff about the name change?

message 5: by Suzi (new)

Suzi | 8667 comments Goodreads does not remove published covers. Any subsequent publications of this work will have Matthew as the primary author and the new name on the cover of any new editions as the secondary author.

Goodreads Support will have to help you change your profile name.

Do not make any changes to existing editions, as this is a violation of Goodreads policy.

Contact Us

M.J. Newman (feonix) | 13 comments You misunderstand. My book was never published under the name Matthew. It is published under the name MJ.

Here is what happened. I made my Goodreads profile ages ago under the name Matthew and only recently made the change to MJ. At the time The Key and the Crescent was first added to Goodreads, it was unpublished. The cover that is currently posted there is *not* a published cover, it is the cover that was used when the book was being funded by Kickstarter prior to publication. Now that it is published, its cover reflects the name change.

When I submitted my request to join the author program, I wanted to do so under the name MJ, not Matthew, but they kept my profile the same, which means my book is still listed under Matthew, even though it was never published under that name.

message 7: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

rivka | 44125 comments Mod
What cover did the Kickstarter backers receive?

M.J. Newman (feonix) | 13 comments Kickstarter backers received the cover I linked above (the one that reads MJ Newman), which is also the cover that can be seen on the store of my website: https://www.bewaretheblackcat.com/shop

The cover that reads "Matthew Newman" was speculative/unpublished and used solely to market the book on Kickstarter.

M.J. Newman (feonix) | 13 comments Likewise, the book was originally added to Goodreads as part of the Kickstarter campaign to help spread the news of the book, but now that it's actually published, I just want to update the information to reflect its *actual* publication info, including my own name.

message 10: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

rivka | 44125 comments Mod
Thank you for the clarification. All fixed.

Please note that Goodreads policy is for author names with initials to include dots, so your author name here is actually M.J. Newman.

message 11: by M.J. (new) - rated it 5 stars

M.J. Newman (feonix) | 13 comments Thank you SO much! I really appreciate it!