Play Book Tag discussion

A Piece of the World
This topic is about A Piece of the World
October 2020: Other Books > [Poll Ballot] A Piece of the World by Christina Baker Kline - 3 stars

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Joy D | 4027 comments A Piece of the World by Christina Baker Kline - 3 stars - My Review

Set in the early 1900s to 1948, protagonist Christina lives on a farm with her parents and brothers in Cushing, Maine. Christina suffers from a rare muscle disease that increases in severity over time. Andrew Wyeth, an artist, lives nearby and enjoys creating paintings of the farm and its surroundings. This book is based on a real painting by Andrew Wyeth, “Christina’s World.” The author has created a fictional life for the woman in the painting. Christina narrates her life story in non-linear fashion, telling of her relationships, friendships, illness, and family dynamics.

I decided to read this book based on the reference to Andrew Wyeth, whose paintings I admire. I liked parts of this book, especially the segments about the art and the artist. The tone is melancholy. The pace is slow. At times it drifts into melodramatic territory. It is a sad story about a woman who leads a hard life without much hope for the future. I listened to the audio book, capably read by Polly Stone.

NancyJ (nancyjjj) | 5669 comments I got this book solely because I always loved the painting of Christina's World. This sad book was easier to take when I brought home some art books with Wyeth's paintings to view at key points during the reading. The real Christina looked very different than I imagined her. There was a painting of her brother that was very powerful. I think he had a very sad life too, as he sacrificed a lot for his sister.

Joy D | 4027 comments I had seen several of Wyeth's paintings in the past and looked up Christina's World online to refresh my memory. I love his paintings. The book was on the bleak side for me. I really liked the concept of creating a story around the painting.

message 4: by Amy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Amy | 8948 comments I found it sad too.... Also loved the concept. But the painting evokes something different for me than what the novel depicted. I am going to try to keep those apart.

Joy D | 4027 comments Me too, Amy, I would never have put the author's story with the painting of Christina's World. I think one aspect of art that is so wonderful is that it inspires people differently.