Edwardsville Public Library discussion

The Sixth Extinction: An Unnatural History
This topic is about The Sixth Extinction
The Sixth Extinction > October 5-11: Prologue, Chapter 1 & 2

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Edwardsville Public Library (last edited Oct 05, 2020 07:52AM) (new)

Edwardsville Public Library (edwardsvillepubliclibrary) | 142 comments Mod
Chapter One: David wake was initially skeptical of the endangerment of frogs in the Sierra Nevada, telling his students that they must be looking in the wrong place. It seems that even experts can remain skeptical until extinctions are well proven. What evidence would convince you to change your behaviors and patterns to benefit a species?

Chapter One: Since the publication of The Sixth Extinction, a Mountain Yellow-legged Frog Working Group has been formed. Looking at their approach to stop the spread of Bd, did you draw any connections to the pandemic that humans have faced this year?

Chapter Two: Cuvier made science a form of theater with his public displays of paleontological discovery, changing the public view on sciences and the world. The internet and online videos have made it even easier for us to witness events as they happen in real time. What prompts you to act when you learn about an issue impacting the world online?

Chapter Two: What were your overall impressions of Cuvier after reading Chapter Two? Were you familiar with him before this reading?

message 5: by Cary (new)

Cary | 4 comments Edwardsville Public Library wrote: "Chapter Two: Cuvier made science a form of theater with his public displays of paleontological discovery, changing the public view on sciences and the world. The internet and online videos have mad..."

I usually act when I think my small change will actually make a difference: metal straws, bee hotels, biodegradable trash bags and paper bags. That's the only way I can try to help without feeling overwhelmed.

message 6: by Tera (new)

Tera | 3 comments My kids and I are reading The Dragon Seekers, and Cuvier plays an important role in that book as well. It is interesting to see him again here!