A Stitcher's Book Club discussion

Archives > Buddy picks TBR for October 2020

Comments Showing 1-50 of 86 (86 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Purple Bookish Frog (Bonnie) (last edited Oct 08, 2020 01:08PM) (new)

Purple Bookish Frog (Bonnie) (purplebookishfrog) | 460 comments Mod
Welcome to October, the spookiest month of the year!

If you wish to have a spooky pal choose a book from your creepy SBC bookshelf, please comment below with the amount of books you wish to have picked out for you. If you prefer a chilling tale this month please ensure that you mention this in your comment also.

I will post pair you with your Spooky pal using Random.org by 9pm Friday 09.10.2020 (UK time)

Rules-ish:

You will need to create a bookshelf marked Stitcher’s bookclub TBR or SBC TBR on Goodreads. Put books on it that you can read in October.

PARTICIPANTS:

Tracey - 1 book

Jenny - 2 books

Bonnie - 1 book - Horror/Thriller

Janice - 1 book

Eden - 1 book - Mystery

As I understand it Jenny and Tracey has already signed up for this month's Buddy Picks Challenge.

I will also partipate and wish for 1 book only from the Horror/Thriller genre please.

message 3: by Jenny (new)

Jenny (diggensjenny) Bonnie wrote: "As I understand it Jenny and Tracey has already signed up for this month's Buddy Picks Challenge.

I will also partipate and wish for 1 book only from the Horror/Thriller genre please."

Thanks, Bonnie. Looking forward to see what fantastic books my buddy picks for me. Happy reading everyone.

message 4: by Tracey Allen (new)

Tracey Allen at Carpe Librum (carpelibrum) | 588 comments Not sure where my sign up post has gone, that’s weird, but yes, count me in. I just sent a quick note to Janice so hopefully she can join us too.

message 5: by Tracey Allen (new)

Tracey Allen at Carpe Librum (carpelibrum) | 588 comments Bonnie wrote: "I will also partipate and wish for 1 book only from the Horror/Thriller genre please."

Wow, I’ve read 2 books from your SBC shelf Bonnie!

message 6: by Janice (new)

Janice Boychuk (janice_boychuk) | 189 comments Hey guys, I'm in! Sorry I totally missed this post.

Tracey Allen wrote: "Not sure where my sign up post has gone, that’s weird, but yes, count me in. I just sent a quick note to Janice so hopefully she can join us too."

Hi Tracey,
Jenny deleted her original post as I have returned to my post as host of Buddy Picks and she thought that it would be best that I repost so that I have control of the main Post to edit the partipants. She already advised me you had already joined up.

Janice wrote: "Hey guys, I'm in! Sorry I totally missed this post."

Hi Janice,

I have added you to the participants list. Would you like 1 book or 2 chosen by your spooky pal?

Tracey Allen wrote: "Wow, I’ve read 2 books from your SBC shelf Bonnie!"

Ooooh which ones were they??

message 10: by Tracey Allen (new)

Tracey Allen at Carpe Librum (carpelibrum) | 588 comments Bonnie wrote: "Hi Tracey, Jenny deleted her original post as I have returned to my post as host of Buddy Picks and she thought that it would be best that I repost so that I have control of the main Post to edit the partipants. She already advised me you had already joined up...."

No worries, all good and great to hear you're back as host 😃

message 11: by Tracey Allen (new)

Tracey Allen at Carpe Librum (carpelibrum) | 588 comments Bonnie wrote: "Ooooh which ones were they??"

I've read Sour Candy and Platform Seven so I know what I'll be choosing if I end up being your October buddy 😉

message 12: by Jenny (new)

Jenny (diggensjenny) Tracey Allen wrote: "Bonnie wrote: "Hi Tracey, Jenny deleted her original post as I have returned to my post as host of Buddy Picks and she thought that it would be best that I repost so that I have control of the main..."

I agree, Tracey.

Oooh Tracey I’m totally looking forward to this. I hope this isn’t a cheat but I had put all of the books that I wanted to read in October on my SBC TBR. So I’m happy to read any of them. I definitely won’t be able to read all of them though so maybe not that much of a cheat.

message 14: by Jenny (new)

Jenny (diggensjenny) Bonnie wrote: "Oooh Tracey I’m totally looking forward to this. I hope this isn’t a cheat but I had put all of the books that I wanted to read in October on my SBC TBR. So I’m happy to read any of them. I definit..."

Becareful Bonnie. Tracey and Janice might pick a book with over 800 pages.

message 15: by Janice (new)

Janice Boychuk (janice_boychuk) | 189 comments Hi Bonnie! I’ll take one book this month... still finishing up my September buddy picks! 🥰💘

Jenny wrote: "Becareful Bonnie. Tracey and Janice might pick a book with over 800 pages."

I just checked, I don't have any books over 800 pages on by sbc tbr. phew!! lol

Janice wrote: "Hi Bonnie! I’ll take one book this month... still finishing up my September buddy picks! 🥰💘"

Cool! I have updated the Participants list with this.

message 18: by Tracey Allen (new)

Tracey Allen at Carpe Librum (carpelibrum) | 588 comments Bonnie wrote: "Oooh Tracey I’m totally looking forward to this. I hope this isn’t a cheat but I had put all of the books that I wanted to read in October on my SBC TBR. So I’m happy to read any of them. I definit..."

I don’t think that’s a cheat at all, your buddy still gets to choose the book and you’ll be placing greater emphasis on their buddy pick to get it finished than you otherwise would have. So it’s all good!

message 19: by Eden (new)

Eden | 768 comments Mod
Me!!! I'd like a mystery I think....let me go update my shelf!

Thank you for posting the thread Bonnie! This is your "baby" in the group after all

message 20: by Tracey Allen (new)

Tracey Allen at Carpe Librum (carpelibrum) | 588 comments Jenny wrote: "Be careful Bonnie. Tracey and Janice might pick a book with over 800 pages..."

What us? Never 😆 I’ve read two 800 page books this last month and I have to say they were very satisfying and both earned 5 stars. No chunksters on my SBC shelf this month though!

message 21: by Janice (new)

Janice Boychuk (janice_boychuk) | 189 comments Tracey Allen wrote: "Jenny wrote: "Be careful Bonnie. Tracey and Janice might pick a book with over 800 pages..."

What us? Never 😆 I’ve read two 800 page books this last month and I have to say they were very satisfyi..."

Too funny Tracey! You're a sucker for punishment :)

I've had some meh books lately, so I'm hoping for a good one! I'm currently listening to Fractured by Karin Slaughter the second book in the Will Trent series... it's awesome so far! Amazing how a 300-page book that ends up being so-so can seem so long, and a great book that is 500+ pages flies by! LOL

Thanks Eden. and I have added you to the participant's list.

message 23: by Jenny (new)

Jenny (diggensjenny) Bonnie, we have an odd number of participants. I will pull out of the October Buddy challenge. Try again in November.

message 24: by Tracey Allen (new)

Tracey Allen at Carpe Librum (carpelibrum) | 588 comments Jenny wrote: "Bonnie, we have an odd number of participants. I will pull out of the October Buddy challenge. Try again in November."

No need to pull out Jenny, just have one person choose for 2 people. Easy!

message 25: by Eden (new)

Eden | 768 comments Mod
Jenny wrote: "Bonnie, we have an odd number of participants. I will pull out of the October Buddy challenge. Try again in November."

Yes we can have someone pick for 2 people instead of you pulling out of the buddy read! DON'T LEAVE US JENNY! :D

message 26: by Tracey Allen (last edited Oct 09, 2020 09:08AM) (new)

Tracey Allen at Carpe Librum (carpelibrum) | 588 comments Eden wrote: "Jenny wrote: "DON'T LEAVE US JENNY! :D..."

And besides, Jenny you have requested 2 books, so I'm sure Bonnie can work out a great draw where no-one misses out 😉And we've only got 3 weeks left in the month now so I hope you're all primed!

Your Spooky Pal has been chosen!!!
I used random.org to randomised the list and your buddy is:

Tracey picks for Eden - 1 book - Mystery
Jenny picks for Bonnie - 1 book - Thriller/Horror
Bonnie picks for Tracey - 1 book
Janice picks for Jenny - 2 books
Eden picks for Janice - 1 book

Hi Tracey,

As it is October I want to chose a horror for you. So I choose One Star by The Behrg. However at only 17 pages, you'd be finished in lest than an evening so I would like to trick you and pick you a second book. Therefore I choose We begin at the end by Chris Whitaker. It has an average rating of 4.36 so I reckon you are in for a treat.

message 29: by Eden (new)

Eden | 768 comments Mod
Janice!
I am going with Survivor Song! It has a "Zombie" feel to it :D Happy Spooky Reading!!!

Eden wrote: "Janice!
I am going with Survivor Song! It has a "Zombie" feel to it :D Happy Spooky Reading!!!"

Good choice Eden. I listened to this on audiobook and thought it was quite good - a great take on the zombie trope. It was a 4 star for me. Great fun. Hope you like it Janice.

message 31: by Jenny (last edited Oct 10, 2020 12:12AM) (new)

Jenny (diggensjenny) Hi Bonnie

Bonnie, the book I selected for you is

Platform Seven by Louise Doughty
Platform Seven by Louise Doughty

This book is horror thriller. I hope you enjoy.

message 32: by Tracey Allen (new)

Tracey Allen at Carpe Librum (carpelibrum) | 588 comments Bonnie wrote: "Hi Tracey, As it is October I want to chose a horror for you. So I choose One Star by The Behrg. However at only 17 pages, you'd be finished in lest than an evening so I would like to trick you and pick you a second book. Therefore I choose We begin at the end by Chris Whitaker. It has an average rating of 4.36 so I reckon you are in for a treat...."

Thanks heaps Bonnie, I feel suitably tricked and treated so thanks heaps 🎃I'll add these to my 'up next' bookshelf and get cracking.

message 33: by Tracey Allen (new)

Tracey Allen at Carpe Librum (carpelibrum) | 588 comments Hi Eden, I'm excited to choose a mystery book for your buddy pick. I had a look at your SBC shelf and a few caught my eye (Romanov and Stalking Jack the Ripper) but I've decided to choose Thread on Arrival by Amanda Lee for you.

It's been on your TBR for 4 years, has a delightfully cozy title and cover and I couldn't resist the embroidery shop setting and the mysterious tapestry. Hope you enjoy 😃

Tracey I would have chosen that for Eden myself no love cozy mysteries.

Tracey I hope you like your book choices. Xxxx

Oooh Jenny this is awesome! I will start reading this on Monday. Thank you!

message 37: by Tracey Allen (new)

Tracey Allen at Carpe Librum (carpelibrum) | 588 comments Bonnie wrote: "Tracey I would have chosen that for Eden myself no love cozy mysteries."

Oooh, in that case it was obviously meant to be!

message 38: by Eden (new)

Eden | 768 comments Mod
Yay!!!! I’m looking forward to that one.
Thank you Tracey!

message 39: by Janice (new)

Janice Boychuk (janice_boychuk) | 189 comments Love everyone’s picks!

Bonnie you’re a treat LOL - love that. You’re book looks good, look forward to your thoughts. 🎃💕 Eden I’ve read the first Embroidery Mystery, really liked it!

Eden, thank you so much for my pick, I’ve been reading quite a bit sci-fi / apocalyptic / fantasy / fluff lately so I’m definitely looking forward to my Halloween terror novel!! 👍🏻👍🏻🌟

message 40: by Janice (new)

Janice Boychuk (janice_boychuk) | 189 comments Jenny, I am so excited to pick 2 books for you! 👏🏻🌹

My first pick is easy - A Better Man by a fellow Canadian, author Louise Penny. I’ve been wanting to read this series, it must be good since this is the 15th one.

My second pick has to be a horror mystery in keeping with my other buddies picks! Without Mercy by Jefferson Bass sounds downright dark, disturbing thriller... enjoy!

BTW, I really need to look on your bookshelves more; I’m always game to find a great mystery / thriller series and you seem to have quite a few.

message 41: by Jenny (new)

Jenny (diggensjenny) Janice wrote: "Jenny, I am so excited to pick 2 books for you! 👏🏻🌹

My first pick is easy - A Better Man by a fellow Canadian, author Louise Penny. I’ve been wanting to read this series, it must be good since thi..."

Thank you, Janice for two amazing books you pick for me. I have both books and I am looking forward to reading then. The Jefferson Bass book sound scary - I better not read that book before I go to sleep.

The Louise Penny serials is fantastic. For me the first couple of books in this series were on the slow side. However, I found that after book three Louise Penny seems to develop the plots and the characters better and more engaging for me. I would be happy for Chief Inspector Armand Gamache to put his shoes under my bed.

Janice, another great series is DI Callanach series by Helen Sarah Fields. Book one is Perfect Remains. The series is set in Scotland.

message 42: by Tracey Allen (new)

Tracey Allen at Carpe Librum (carpelibrum) | 588 comments Jenny wrote: "I would be happy for Chief Inspector Armand Gamache to put his shoes under my bed...."

That nearly made me spray my Pepsi Max all over my laptop Jenny, you cheeky minx 😆

Ooh la la! 😍😘

message 44: by Janice (new)

Janice Boychuk (janice_boychuk) | 189 comments I am dying laughing!! 😂😂❤️
You’re welcome Jenny, I’ll make a point of getting the first one after I catch up with everything I’m reading right now 👍🏼👍🏼

message 45: by Eden (new)

Eden | 768 comments Mod
Made my morning 😂😂😂😂

message 46: by Tracey Allen (new)

Tracey Allen at Carpe Librum (carpelibrum) | 588 comments Hi guys, just coming back to let you know I read my first buddy pick from Bonnie, it was One Star. It was a short story about a reviewer leaving one star, but it wasn't at all what I was thinking. I guess you could say there's a 'twist' but overall I didn't enjoy it much.

I'm super glad it's off my TBR list now (thanks for making that happen Bonnie), but given it was only 17 pages, I'm not going to review it or include it in my GR books read.

One down, one to go!

Oh. I guess that book is definitely the trick!! I think I might take it off my TBR based on that then. I hope you enjoy the next one. It looks like it would be good.

message 48: by Tracey Allen (new)

Tracey Allen at Carpe Librum (carpelibrum) | 588 comments Bonnie wrote: "Oh. I guess that book is definitely the trick!! I think I might take it off my TBR based on that then. I hope you enjoy the next one. It looks like it would be good."

Thanks Bonnie, and yep, you can definitely take it off your TBR without any fear of missing out on a gripping read. It was the equivalent of the dark chocolate licorice or Turkish Delight in my candy bucket of books 😆🎃

Removal complete!

message 50: by Janice (new)

Janice Boychuk (janice_boychuk) | 189 comments Good to know Tracey, thanks for sharing! 🌟🤩

« previous 1