Top 10 Halloween reads and films.

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Joshua (new)

Joshua | 23 comments What do you say?

message 2: by Donna (new)

Donna Teresa | 412 comments Mod
Hi Josh,

Many favorites. Everything Anne Rice, Dracula, Sleepy Hollow, Frankenstein, Edgar Allan Poe, The Haunting of Hill House, The Turn of the Screw, A Monster Calls, The Graveyard Book, The Hound of the Baskervilles.

Movies-Halloween (1st movie), "It" Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children, Hocus Pocus, Carrie, The Omen, Edward Scissorhands, The Nightmare Before Christmas, Crimson Peak, Ghostbusters, Rocky Horror Picture Show, The Phantom of the Opera, It's the Great Pumpkin Charlie Brown.

-Donna

message 3: by Joshua (new)

Joshua | 23 comments Those are some great ones, Donna.

If I had to pick, I guess it would go...
1) Dracula by Bram Stoker
2) Something Wicked This Way Comes by Ray Bradbury
3) The Halloween Tree by Ray Bradbury
4) Salem's Lot by Stephen King
5) The Cycle of the Werewolf by Stephen King
6) The Witches by Roald Dahl
7) The Hound of the Baskervilles by Arthur Conan Doyle (good call, Donna)
8) The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman (also good call, Donna)
9) I, Lucifer by Glenn Duncan
10) The Stand by Stephen King

Films:
1) The Wolfman (1941)
2) An American Werewolf in London (1981)
3) The Lost Boys (1987)
4) Sleepy Hollow (1999)
5) The Ninth Gate (1999)
6) Hocus Pocus (1993)
7) It's the Great Pumpkin Charlie Brown (1966)
8) Night of the Living Dead (1968)
9) Ghostbusters (1984)
10) Near Dark (1987)

message 4: by Donna (new)

Joshua wrote: "Those are some great ones, Donna.

If I had to pick, I guess it would go...
1) Dracula by Bram Stoker
2) Something Wicked This Way Comes by Ray Bradbury
3) The Halloween Tree by Ray Bradbury
4) Sa..."

Hi Josh,

I like your list choices. Halloween has always been one of my favorite holidays. A long time ago...when I was elementary school age, I was afraid of watching scary movies, the dark, monsters, etc. When I started to read about them, helped me overcome many fears. I even started to develop a big sympathy for story, movie creatures etc. I discovered that many times, they were the product of a sad life and unfortunate circumstances from someone's evil intentions and sadly became the scary villains. I still get sad when I see Godzilla, King Kong, The Hunchback of Notre Dame etc, treated badly. I know everyone will laugh at that, but that is how I feel about these creatures. Even if they are monsters of fiction.
-Donna

message 5: by Joshua (new)

Joshua | 23 comments Oh man, totally! I was totally sympathetic to the Creature from the Black Lagoon. Poor guy just wanted a date. It's lonely in black lagoons, you know?

message 6: by Donna (new)

Hi Josh,

Yes, the Creature of the Black Lagoon. Another perfect example of a creature just wanting to find some acceptance and love. I think that why I liked Guillermo Del Toro's, The Shape of Water so much. that movie reminded me so much of The Creature from the Black Lagoon. I was cheering for the couple to have a happy ending.

-Donna

message 7: by Deborah (new)

Deborah | 9 comments I absolutely loved The Shape of Water....and I just looked it up and there was a novelization of the movie...I wonder if it is any good....I myself don't mind fantasy but don't like horror...I don't like to be afraid...I guess that is why when I read the Exorcist in 10th grade, I never went on to read any Stephen King books, I couldn't sleep for months....

Donna wrote: "Hi Josh,

Yes, the Creature of the Black Lagoon. Another perfect example of a creature just wanting to find some acceptance and love. I think that why I liked Guillermo Del Toro's, The Shape of Wat..."

message 8: by Donna (new)

Hi Deborah,

Yes, a definite fear of scary movies and books when I was little. As I grew older, I tried to conquer my fears by reading and watching some. I have to admit, I think I cover my eyes while watching scary movies. The books are a bit easier to handle, although I prefer to read the spooky books during daylight and not in the evening.

I try to challenge my reading choices by having some type of balance by increasing the variety of genre book picks and that includes the spooky books. And yes, these books have a way of staying on your mind, long after reading them.

-Donna