Around the Year in 52 Books discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archives > [2021] Poll 17 Suggestions

Comments Showing 1-45 of 45 (45 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Bryony, Circumnavigation Mod (last edited Oct 05, 2020 05:59AM) (new)

Bryony (bryony46) | 1081 comments Mod
It's time for our next round of suggestions!

Just a reminder that you can find a full list of prompts already on the 2021 list in the third post on this thread.

A little reminder of how things are done around here:

How it works:
- The topics for the 2020 reading challenge list will be determined by a series of mini-polls, the number of which depends on the number of prompts winning in each mini-polls
- Suggestions for each poll will be opened until 15 suggestions are received and “seconded”.
- The voting thread will open the day after suggestions go live. You can find the schedule here.
- The poll will be posted after the voting thread is opened for 24 hours, and will remain open for three full days.
- Each user has 8 votes to spread between their favorite (top) and least favorite (bottom) prompts
- The prompts with the more favorable votes (comparing top votes to bottom votes, and looking at the overall number of votes it received) will be added to the final list (between 2 and 5 depending on how the votes are spread)

Rules:
- Each member can only suggest OR second one prompt
- Suggestions close after 15 total seconded prompts

When suggesting and seconding, feel free to provide examples and descriptions that may help other members understand the prompt better. These descriptions and examples will be copied over to the voting thread for further discussion.

As always, please express any and all feedback (respectfully, of course), either here or in the wild discussion

Moving on to Voting:
1. A book related to music
2. A fat positive book
3. A book in which the title starts with the same letter as its genre (ignoring a, an, and the)
4. A book that you (or others!) might think will make you smarter
5. A book you predict will be a five star read
6. A beautiful book
7. A book related to an element of your favourite film/tv show
8. A book with reference to handcrafting
9. A work of fiction with a reference book in the title
10. A mystery or thriller
11. A book nominated for an Audie Award
12. A book about the forbidden
13. A book related to “In the Beginning...”
14. A book related to colonialism
15. A book with more than one primary setting

message 2: by Chrissy (new)

Chrissy | 857 comments I want to suggest a fat positive book. This could include fiction or nonfiction, here are a few listopias. (As always, there could be bad apples in these lists...)
https://www.goodreads.com/list/show/1...
https://www.goodreads.com/list/show/1...
https://www.goodreads.com/list/show/9...

message 3: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 64 comments A book in which the title starts with the same letter as its genre (ignoring a, an, and the).

Examples:

Station Eleven - Science Fiction (S)
The Fellowship of the Ring - Fantasy (F)
A Clockwork Orange - Classics (C)

message 4: by Kendra (last edited Oct 04, 2020 11:33PM) (new)

Kendra | 1013 comments I nominate: A book related to music.

message 5: by Sue (new)

Sue S | 364 comments I nominate a book with reference to handcrafting. This could be a non-fiction, or a fiction book with a handcrafting character. This could range from cosy contemporary fiction about knitting or quilting groups, to historical fiction or fantasy involving armorers, blacksmiths, woodworkers etc.

message 6: by Roxana (new)

Roxana (luminate) | 428 comments I’d like to second a book related to music.

message 7: by Irene (last edited Oct 05, 2020 12:47AM) (new)

Irene (eyereeen) | 442 comments A book that you (or others!) might think will make you smarter.

Examples:
- A classic (War and Peace, 1984)
- Literary fiction (The Goldfinch, Never Let Me Go, All the Light We Cannot See)
- A nonfiction book (Sapiens: A Brief History of Humankind, Educated, The Mueller Report)
- A book dealing with important/serious issues (The Hate U Give, Between the World and Me)
- A niche-interest book (Dune, The Wheel of Time series)
- Any very long/large book
- A play, script, book of essays, poetry, or another other format that isn't a regular novel

Thought of this topic because education has been on my mind a lot lately (my heart goes out to everyone struggling with schooling these days: parents, teachers, schoolchildren, college students, etc!)

message 8: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn | 563 comments Chrissy wrote: "I want to suggest a fat positive book. This could include fiction or nonfiction, here are a few listopias. (As always, there could be bad apples in these lists...)
https://www.goodreads.com/list/sh..."

I'll second this. I've had Dietland by Sarai Walker on my TBR list for years! I've also been eyeing off Dumplin' by Julie Murphy recently...

message 9: by Mairéad (new)

Mairéad | 13 comments I nominate: A book related to an element of your favourite film/tv show.

Examples:
- Same Genre (e.g. If About Time is your favourite film, you could read a Sci-Fi book The Long Way to a Small, Angry Planet or a romance One Day)
- Trope (e.g. Hate to Love - Crazy, Stupid, Love (film) and The Hating Game (book))
- Same Main characters name (e.g. Liz from 30 Rock (tv show) and You Should See Me in a Crown (book))
- Representation (e.g. Female-Female relationship - if Book Smart is your favourite film, you could read The Falling in Love Montage)
- Same setting (e.g. Outlander (tv show) set in Scotland, you could read Prince Charming also set in Scotland)
- Book to movie/tv adaptation (e.g. Read Outlander if you love the tv show, but haven't read the book - or a later book in the series)
- Retelling of the same story (e.g. if Beauty and the Beast is your favourite film, read a retelling such as Hunted)

message 10: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 187 comments I'll second "A book in which the title starts with the same letter as its genre"

message 11: by Kat (new)

Kat | 301 comments I'll second a book that you might think will make you smarter.

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

Read a five-star prediction

This is a book you believe will be a five star-worthy read. (It might not end up being one but you think it will!). I hope this can encourage us to pick up a book we'll love & find a new favourite.

message 13: by Harini (new)

Harini (rini11) | 45 comments Read a book related to colonialism.

This can be anything. A fiction or a non-fiction.

Some of the examples are Homegoing, Born a Crime: Stories From a South African Childhood, Things Fall Apart, Half of a Yellow Sun, Midnight's Children, An Era of Darkness: The British Empire in India, Pachinko etc.

Here is list for further references -

Goodreads List - https://www.goodreads.com/shelf/show/...

message 14: by Ellie (new)

Ellie (patchworkbunny) | 1785 comments A beautiful book

Obvious one is a beautiful cover, it could be a book with beautiful writing or content, about someone beautiful or a graphic novel with beautiful artwork.

message 15: by Conny (new)

Conny | 361 comments annie wrote: "Read a five-star prediction

This is a book you believe will be a five star-worthy read. (It might not end up being one but you think it will!). I hope this can encourage us to pick up a book we'll..."

I second this one!

message 16: by dalex (last edited Oct 05, 2020 03:29AM) (new)

message 17: by Johanne (new)

Johanne *the biblionaut* | 1646 comments Ellie wrote: "A beautiful book

Obvious one is a beautiful cover, it could be a book with beautiful writing or content, about someone beautiful or a graphic novel with beautiful artwork."

I second a beautiful book

message 18: by Thomas (new)

Thomas | 637 comments I second a book related to favourite tv show

message 19: by dalex (new)

dalex (912dalex) | 1726 comments An unofficial (and possibly incorrect) update:

Moving on to Voting:
2. A fat positive book
3. A book in which the title starts with the same letter as its genre
5. A five-star prediction
6. A beautiful book

Available to be seconded:
1. A book with reference to handcrafting
2. A book related to colonialism
3. A work of fiction with a reference book in the title

message 20: by Inger (new)

Inger Holthe | 12 comments I second a book with reference to handcrafting

message 21: by Bryony, Circumnavigation Mod (new)

dalex wrote: "A work of fiction with a reference book in the title (e.g. Cloud Atlas, The Dictionary of Animal Languages, The Encyclopedia of Early Earth, [book:The R..."

I love this idea! I’ll second this.

message 22: by Bryony, Circumnavigation Mod (new)

Thanks dalex. :-)

Update: nine slots taken, six remaining.

message 23: by Bryony, Circumnavigation Mod (last edited Oct 05, 2020 04:17AM) (new)

annie wrote: "Read a five-star prediction

This is a book you believe will be a five star-worthy read. (It might not end up being one but you think it will!). I hope this can encourage us to pick up a book we'll..."

annie, is it okay if I reword this as "A book you predict will be a five star read" as I think it may be clearer if the wording is similar to the other suggestions (ie "A book..."). Please let me know if you’re not happy with the change.

message 24: by [deleted user] (new)

Bryony wrote: "annie, is it okay if I reword this as "A book you predict will be a five star read""

sounds good to me! thanks for catching it. if it makes it easier to understand, i'm all for it

message 26: by Robin P, Orbicular Mod (new)

Robin P | 1924 comments Mod
Chrissy wrote: "I want to suggest a fat positive book. This could include fiction or nonfiction, here are a few listopias. (As always, there could be bad apples in these lists...)
https://www.goodreads.com/list/sh..."

I think this should be written "fat-positive". I first thought it meant a "chunkster"", that is a fat book that is also uplifting! Sounds kind of stupid of me but some people vote without reading any of the notes and may make the same assumption.

message 27: by Avery (last edited Oct 05, 2020 04:41AM) (new)

Avery (averyapproved) | 472 comments I’ll suggest one fiction genre since we don’t have any:

A mystery or thriller

message 28: by Robin P, Orbicular Mod (last edited Oct 05, 2020 04:40AM) (new)

Robin P | 1924 comments Mod
I'll second a mystery or thriller. I like the inclusiveness of it, it covers a whole range of tone.

message 29: by Avery (new)

Avery (averyapproved) | 472 comments Robin P wrote: "I'll second a mystery or thriller. I like the inclusiveness of it, it covers a whole range of tone."

Yay! I couldn’t decide if I wanted to do just one of the genres or not but I’m glad you think both work in one prompt.

message 30: by Thomas (new)

Thomas | 637 comments Avery wrote: "Robin P wrote: "I'll second a mystery or thriller. I like the inclusiveness of it, it covers a whole range of tone."

Yay! I couldn’t decide if I wanted to do just one of the genres or not but I’m ..."

I had already used my second so I am glad someone else seconded this one. Definitely voting for mystery or thriller.

message 31: by Avery (new)

Avery (averyapproved) | 472 comments Robin P wrote: “ I think this should be written "fat-positive""

I agree, when I first saw the suggestion, I thought it was a genre I hadn’t heard of, like a long self help book or something. It could also be “body-positive” but I know that might take the focus off of weight.

message 32: by Pam (new)

Pam (bluegrasspam) | 2571 comments A book with more than one primary settings.

message 33: by Anastasia (new)

Anastasia (anastasiaharris) | 1331 comments A book about the forbidden

message 34: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn | 563 comments Robin P wrote: "I think this should be written "fat-positive". I first thought it meant a "chunkster"", that is a fat book that is also uplifting! Sounds kind of stupid of me but some people vote without reading any of the notes and may make the same assumption..."

I'd agree with that. I know it took me a beat or two to realise what it meant, but then when I clicked on the listopia links, I forgot about the phrasing!

message 35: by Emily, Conterminous Mod (new)

Emily Bourque (emilyardoin) | 7503 comments Mod
I'll second the Audie Award. Looks like we have 4 spots remaining.

message 36: by Sophie (new)

Sophie (soapsuds) | 153 comments A book related to “In the Beginning...”

This could involve a book about the birth of a child, birth of a nation, rebirth, immigrating, new/fresh start, a move, falling in love, a trip, a new life, the start of an adventure/quest, first book of a series, a debut novel.

There is also a wikipedia page related to this expression used in many contexts (the bible, other books, movies, tv shows, music) which could give other ideas.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/In_the_...

Last week, it was suggested that the prompt: A book related to “The End” be the last one of the year. If that is the case, it would be fitting to have a corresponding prompt at the beginning of the year to serve as the other bookend.

message 37: by Emily, Conterminous Mod (last edited Oct 05, 2020 05:10AM) (new)

Moving on to Voting:
2. A fat-positive book
3. A book in which the title starts with the same letter as its genre (ignoring a, an, and the)
5. A book you predict will be a five star read
6. A beautiful book
8. A book with reference to handcrafting
9. A work of fiction with a reference book in the title
10. A mystery or thriller
11. A book nominated for an Audie Award (read in any format)

Available to be seconded:
- A book related to colonialism
- A book related to “In the Beginning...”
- A book with more than one primary setting
- A book about the forbidden

message 38: by Nadine in NY (new)

Nadine in NY Jones | 1347 comments Anastasia wrote: "A book about the forbidden"

I'll second that

message 39: by Emily, Conterminous Mod (new)

3 spots left!

message 40: by Bryony, Circumnavigation Mod (new)

Update: 3 spaces remaining

message 41: by Steve (new)

Steve | 538 comments Sophie wrote: "A book related to “In the Beginning...”

This could involve a book about the birth of a child, birth of a nation, rebirth, immigrating, new/fresh start, a move, falling in love, a trip, a new life,..."

I'll second this.

message 42: by Bryony, Circumnavigation Mod (new)

2 spaces left

message 43: by Joyce (new)

Joyce | 356 comments I’ll second a book with more than one primary setting.

message 44: by Joy (new)

Joy Clark (clarkphd) | 42 comments I'll second a book related to colonialism.

message 45: by Bryony, Circumnavigation Mod (new)

That’s 15 suggestions. Voting thread to follow soon. Thanks for your ideas everyone!

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.