Books and Jams Readalong discussion

Sometimes I Lie
This topic is about Sometimes I Lie
SOMETIMES I LIE - Oct 2020 > First Impressions

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Krista (booksandjams) | 746 comments Mod
So this one is a hard one to break up because there are no chapter numbers. All the chapters are titled Before, Now and Then. So at some point near the beginning stop and share your initial impressions.

How do you like the pacing/characters/structure/writing style?
Are you captivated right away?

message 2: by CC (new) - rated it 4 stars

CC Sanders (ccsreadingjourney) | 10 comments I was captivated right away - around the middle it started to get a little confusing but for me in a really good way. The "before" chapters always started hinting towards this potentially including some mental health issue but I had no idea what this was (I was considering multiple personality disorder).
It's really hard to break this up because I think there are some milestones that this could be broken up into, but these milestones also would be spoilers :D

Elizabeth Tavares  | 20 comments I don't know how I feel about this one. I'm a hundred pages in and thoroughly confused!

Kristi (sweetheavenlygrace) Yeah, wasn't sure about this one. The back and forth through me off. But then again it could be just me.

Angela  | 2 comments I am about 150 pages in so far and I can honestly say that it has my attention. I have no idea what’s going on and that’s exactly how I like it! I don’t like being able to guess what will happen by the half way point.

Elsa I'm 86 pages in. What I like: I like the situation of being in the narrator's thoughts while she observes everyone else around her. I also like reading the diary entries.

What I dislike: The first person perspective makes me uncomfortable. I don't like being in Amber's shoes. She has many nervous habits and seems to be plotting against Madeleine.

Krista (booksandjams) | 746 comments Mod
I am so invested, but my mind is spinning. I keep trying to work things out but am just so confused. Are Paul and Claire having an affair? Who were those lingerie for? Is Jo helping Amber freak out Madeline at work? Is Jo even a friend? Sometimes it doesn't seem like it. Does Amber have OCD? Or other mental health issues? What happened when she was young? I am eager to keep going to get some answers!

message 8: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer | 17 comments I just started this book this morning and I don't know what to think yet. I think it's interesting that it's not broken up into chapters. I am interested enough to keep going because I want to know what happened. My library had the large print edition so the page numbers are off from the regular print book. I'm 34 pages in.

Janna Just started reading the book this morning. I am trying to figure things out and watch for clues. Can't seem to figure things out.

message 10: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer | 17 comments I didn't finish this book. October was a weird readin month for me, I only finished three books. I don't know with Sometimes I Lie if it was the book or me but I am going to return it to my library and pick it up another time.