Books and Jams Readalong discussion

The Death of Mrs. Westaway
This topic is about The Death of Mrs. Westaway
DEATH OF MRS WESTAWAY - Oct 2020 > Middle (ch 11-26)

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Krista (booksandjams) | 746 comments Mod
You're more than 1/2 way through!

Have your initial impressions changed?
How is the pacing? Is this a page turner?
Anything stand out to your or surprise you so far?
Have your impressions of the characters changed at all?

Krista (booksandjams) | 746 comments Mod
I'm still really enjoying the audio of this. We now know a little more about Hal's mom, but still nothing about the father. Any guesses?
I can't believe how awful the old Mrs. Westaway is! Locking Maggie in that room? Crazy. I thought for a minute the crazy housekeeper locked up Hal too. I love the gloomy feel of the house. I'm very eager to keep reading this final section!

Sarah (prairielily) | 26 comments I breezed past the chapter 26 mark...it's a long weekend here and I am neglecting the grade 7/8 stories that need correcting.

I am really enjoying this. Locking the pregnant cousin up in the attic is very Jane Eyre.

I am guessing that the father is one of the brothers, which makes Hal a grandchild anyway. Mrs. Westaway seems like an old lady who didn't let anything get past her.
The references to Ed are meant to mislead, how many men named Ed could there possibly be in England? ha!

The brothers have to assume Maud is dead. She was very smart and determined. She would have kept up with their lives (digitally at least) and likely reunited or at least made contact once she realized they were also estranged from their mother. And she probably would have shown up to her mother's funeral just out of spite. I know I would.

I plan to finish this book today!

Emily | 4 comments Oh man, definitely a page turner for me! Not necessarily because there are cliffhangers, but because it flows so well!
Is Ed misleading? Surely Edward wouldn’t have been there right? I’m fairly positive the uncles know that Maggie is the mom, especially that moment with the photograph.
I also freaked out when I thought she was locked in the room!!