Our Shared Shelf discussion

So You Want to Talk About Race
This topic is about So You Want to Talk About Race
Aug/Sept '20 Antiracism > Is police brutality really about race?

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Pam (new) - rated it 5 stars

Pam | 1091 comments Mod
When talking about police brutality, it is important to remember that the police force can be trustworthy public servants to one community, and oppressors to another community–just as we can live in a country that promotes prosperity for some and poverty for others."

"People of color are not asking white people to believe their experiences so that they will fear the police as much as people of color do. They are asking because they want white people to join them in demanding their right to be able to trust the police like white people do."

Questions for the Group:
- How did you feel after reading this chapter? Do you agree or disagree with Oluo's conclusions?
- There have been lots of discussion on Defund the Police or to increase funding for police training. What is a citizen to do?

message 2: by Kevin (new)

Kevin Wells | 1 comments There should be a law for this, A law which will provide the police officer such punishment that no cop will do that kind of behavior again.

Thank You
Kevin Wells
Peachy loans

message 3: by Ameer (new)

Ameer Mking (ameermking) | 1 comments Here in Nigeria, we are all the same color but 80% of the population receives torment from the cops.
But I guess that's due to the bad governance

Frances (francesab) | 39 comments Oluo writes very clearly and passionately about how policing in general treats different races differently, and it is eye-opening to understand how many communities feel no support or protection from law enforcement, and in fact feel threatened.

There needs to be a huge shift in the amount of oversight and accountability and training in policing, as well as increasing funding to social services and alternative services (e.g. mental health services, community support), and a hard look at how different groups are treated very differently-one only needs to look at the BLM protesters who were treated harshly during largely peaceful protesters, and the gun-carrying white protesters who stormed the Michigan state Capitol building with little or no consequence.

Finally, some training on conflict resolution/de-escalation is required-no police stop for minor issues like traffic violations or shoplifting should ever result in a death, which seems all to common.

So I guess as a citizen we need to get active in our city politics (which is often where police accountability and decisions take place) and support a move to increased oversight and increasing penalties for violent or biased police action.

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

Oluo explain that Emma was right about everything. Emma's podcasts have opened my eyes. I just don't understand how Onuo claims that blacks are really just POCs. I will not judge her, I will wait for Emma's next interview.
Emma has explained what is racism. The problem is Education. If we taught kids to be calm and peaceful everything will be ok. And Emma I know that you are reading, I want to tell you that you are really awesome.

message 6: by Annie (new) - added it

Annie | 44 comments Sally wrote: "Sadly, it is being exploited by media and political interests to keep it alive.."

I think you mean sadly people are being prayed upon do to their color. Sadly minorities are more likely to fit a "profile" because cognitive dissonance tells us that black people are more likely to be a threat than white people

Despite the fact that:
- most of the more damaging crimes against humanity were committed by white people
- most of the more financially damaging crimes were committed by white people
- most of the drug sale and use in the US was done by white people.

But it's the poor people that we should be trying to nickel and dime. It's the poor people who are the ones we should be worried about.

Your priorities are wrong if you're blaming the scape goat for all the problems while letting the real criminals get away without any problem.

message 7: by Ana (new) - added it

Ana (anaciremavi) | 3 comments Sally wrote: "Police is primarily to maintain law and order. No police man goes out to look for a person of particular race..."

As Oluo explains in the book, the original role of American police was to control Black populations and catch escaped slaves. Historically, maintaining "law and order" in the United States has meant controlling and oppressing people of color in the name of protecting White communities. Even if no police officers today are going out consciously looking for a person of a particular race, implicit bias and systemic racism still lead to racial profiling and unequal treatment. We can attempt to reform the police through reallocation of funds and better training (implicit bias training is essential for police officers), but we also need to do a better job educating the general population about systemic racism and White privilege.

message 8: by Debbyanne (new)

Debbyanne Southwell | 17 comments we should all treat each other with respect and Police are no different just because they wear a uniform. Actions speak louder then words and race,colour ethnical background,we are all the same and God tell us to love our neighbour.

message 9: by Gerd (new)

Gerd | 428 comments Sally wrote: "Police is primarily to maintain law and order. No police man goes out to look for a person of particular race."

Most police is working to maintain the Status Quo. So called law & order only play into it as far as they support that goal.