Reading 1001 discussion

One Thousand and One Nights: Complete Arabian Nights Collection
This topic is about One Thousand and One Nights
1001 book reviews > One Thousand and One Nights

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Amanda (new)

Amanda Dawn | 1165 comments (I thought there was another thread for this, but I couldn’t find it when searching just now, so lemme know if I need to move this)

I finally finished the 10 volume Richard Francis Burton translation this month…yay! It was about 4000 pages, so it might be the longest work on the list.

Overall, I enjoyed it and appreciated reading tales from another culture, as well as reading the origin of some of the famous ones that have crossed over into the Western Canon (like Sinbad). But, oh man did it get monotonous after the first 1000 or so pages. The sheer volume did make me feel less and less intrigued and invested in it as the stories went on. Especially, since there are a lot of repeated motifs and types of stories (Jin’s enchanting things, Muslim sailor ends up in a historically inaccurate version of another society, Kings who assassinate a lot of people).

Still, the redundancy didn’t subtract from my appreciation too much and I gave it 3 stars. I also really appreciate the framing motif of Shahrazad telling stories to her husband the King to prolong her life. I thought that was really interesting and ingenious, and I also like how nestled perspective is used in this book with the complex stories within stories. There’s a Simpsons episode that does this as well that I was really fond of, so reading an original utilizer of this technique was really cool.

message 2: by 1001shelf (new)

1001shelf | 1058 comments Mod
This book it appears has several different ways of writing the title. The list uses. The Thousand and one Nights. So that is where it is found in the index.

message 3: by Amanda (new)

Amanda Dawn | 1165 comments Do you have the link for the other thread? I just put "The Thousand and one Nights" into the search by post function and only got mine back. Thanks.

message 4: by 1001shelf (new)

Amanda wrote: "Do you have the link for the other thread? I just put "The Thousand and one Nights" into the search by post function and only got mine back. Thanks."

This is the thread. I probably just changed the title and pasted it into the index. You are the only review that I could find. We read it as a group over on Shelfari. No one has migrated their reviews I guess. Most of us were not veery fond of it.

message 5: by 1001shelf (new)

Amanda wrote: "Do you have the link for the other thread? I just put "The Thousand and one Nights" into the search by post function and only got mine back. Thanks."

This is the thread. I probably just changed the title and pasted it into the index. You are the only review that I could find. We read it as a group over on Shelfari. No one has migrated their reviews I guess. Most of us were not veery fond of it.

message 6: by Amanda (new)

Amanda Dawn | 1165 comments 1001shelf wrote: "Amanda wrote: "Do you have the link for the other thread? I just put "The Thousand and one Nights" into the search by post function and only got mine back. Thanks."

This is the thread. I probably ..."

Oh gotcha. I could have sworn I read another one here, but guess that's false recall.

It did get reaaaalll tedious after a while so I get that sentiment too lol.